Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    The DFL has just published the Bundesliga financial figures. Financially, Augsburg is in a good position. The club made a loss of 500k in 2022, but that's nothing compared to Gladbach (-22m) or Dortmund (-35m). The money from Pepi's sale is important, but the club is financially healthy enough to play the long game.

2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    There are people much more involved and smarter than I who worry about Gladbach.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund's figures are about to turn around nicely by about $150 million. The figure is meaningless for them.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lots of Dutch sports re-posters have picked up on the Feynie story. Not many other clubs mentioned in the past 24 hrs for him. But it could easily be completely different tomorrow.

5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah. They will be fine. There was an article a few months ago that broke down teams and real assets. BMB was almost at the bottom. Scally was one of the two sellable players (players that could bring a real return now). It had player/purchase price/current resale/future assets. It was very interesting.

BMG was flat trending negative. When you finish where they have in the table the last couple of years, and play the way they do, you can see the trouble considering funds.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Germany wants to have any chance at staying competitive they will need to open up investment in teams. It’s sad that it’s necessary because I love the 50 plus 1 model but it’s not sustainable unless they are comfortable with falling well behind the EPL.

7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Fans won‘t accept it. IMO, they just won‘t. Hell, the fan union is so powerful they would have to be involved in any attempt to change the model in some form, and I just don‘t see it happening any time soon.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if they are all OK with consisting of 19 EPL feeder teams and Bayern Munich, its their choice.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have been for a while....

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    10 years now with a couple of Klopp interruptions before, otherwise it is what it is.

Folks here would accept that here.

The hypocrisy you see in US sports (they care for their causes as long it benefits them and their majorities/ignore the stuff that doesn‘t, whether athlete or owner) isn‘t what you will see here.

Germans will be OK with it.

Great opportunity for Italy however.

11. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 18 teams in the Bundesliga though...

majspike, Jazzy Altidore and mace repped this.
  12. So?

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there aren't 19 EPL feeder clubs and Bayern Munich, because that adds up to 20.

The Irish Rover and derek750 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At some point the hammer is going to fall on the EPL. It almost did a few years back, when the press went digging into the background of many of the owners and investors. Abramovich leaving was one of the consequences.

At some point, people at the top will have to do something, because far too many people are complaining about the thing becoming a giant Funny Money Laundromat.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully I have assistants here who check my math.

16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    You would think but people love their sports. They want to win. Whether justifying an a** like Jose M, thugs and petrol states, billionaire’s making their clubs toys, hypocritically kissing Chinese a** while railing about other causes, you name it. List goes on and on.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Being 100% ethically consistent is impossible. And if you try too hard, everybody hates you. The best we can do is try, I guess.

18. Off course people/fans love to win, but within reasonable expectations. Clubs in Europe arenot billionairs make up clubs/toys. They are part of/spawn by the community in which they're embedded. The fans want their clubs to be part of that greater football community and see them battle the other clubs. The simple German fact that no external investor can upset the league by buying in and spend the club to the top is a safe guard against what we see in the epl with Newcastle United and PSG in France. The German league is, when not considering Bayern, the most competitive league in Europe with this season Bayern having to fight till the last 5 minuted to become champions.

Pegasus repped this.
  19. According to 1908.nl Feyenoord's offer has been rejected by Augsburg.
    https://1908.nl/artikelen/feyenoord-bereidt-tweede-bod-voor-op-pepi

Someone who seems very informed,judging by previous news brought, says Feyenoord "knows" what Augsburg really wants and it could be sealed soon, but given what Augsburg payed for him, I can't see that gap between what Feyenoord can and is willing to pay can be closed.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sell on. Augsburg convinces themselves Feynie will sell Pepi for 72 mill and Augsburg gets 25% +. Boom! Instant profit.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Then again, that particular gap isn't the one that has to be closed: only the gap between what Augsburg will accept today and what someone else is willing to offer.

That gap is bridgeable - Augsburg surely know a haircut on the up-front transfer fee is inevitable - but I'm not sure that Feyenoord are the party to bridge it. IMO the decisive factor will be what position Pepi and his people take and how hard they stick to it. If he insists on a club where he's either starter or rotator and where he will get service, Augsburg have a problem - a cash injection to reshape the squad - to which Feyenoord or PSV are the only solutions.

22. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Unless any new teams enter the chat that are high on Pepi from Portugal or France. Unfortunately there hasnt been any smoke there so that is just hopecasting.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I expect there will be/has already been interest from at least a few teams from there (or their equivalent) but I doubt that Pepi will be more than depth for the higher-end sides there. He needs to have at least first-off-the-bench status to make it worth turning down Feyenoord or PSV and I don't see that he's quite at that level yet

24. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I would have to agree, but depending on the team it may be preferable to Augsburg and they may be able to pay more than the dutch teams.

25. I checked Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal internet, but the sites there only mention Feyenoord and PSV and one mentioned Cristal Palace.

twoolley repped this.