Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Ajax would be great. He’s just 18 and needs development, and Ajax would get him that in a way that’s not as pressure filled, or as uncertain as being in a loan army for a big club or being sinking or swimming in a mid table to low table club

jjmack and Winoman repped this.
  2. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Inter has always treated their youngsters well. They make sure to loan them where they'll play. They may end up getting sold and not be Juve long term but if br confident in saying Pepi would st least nor ride pine if Juve bought him

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked Pepi to Ajax, if not for the Haller signing. Now Pepi would be a backup for years, playing most his games in the Dutch league.

If he's going to be a backup, it should be for a bigger club in a stronger league, like Dortmund or Bayern. There's more upside that way, while he still gets service, and reasonable expectations for his current level of development.

We don't have to treat all our players with kid gloves coming from MLS, just like we don't need to with all our academy guys with Euro passports making the transfer before 18. They're not all created equal. It would have been inappropriate if Gio & CP had went to Genk. They were ready to be regs for BVB soon after their arrival, at 16-17 yrs old.

Certainly Pepi, w/ experience at a much higher level than them, and at 18-19 years old, can be ready to be a regular at a bigger club who is amenable to integrate youth and Americans. Pepi's not much worse of a prospect than they were.

4. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I'm thinking if Ajax is spending the type of money Pepi will go for, they must imagine Haller isn't going to be around too much longer. He's tearing it up and may want to try for a top league again. There are also 50 or so matches to go around, so I don't think it's the end of the world. Still would prefer a more immediate playing time role though

twoolley repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would assume Ajax will try and flip Haller, if not this winter then this summer.

They paid 26 mill for him, which is a lot for Ajax, and he's 27 so the window to optimize a return for him is pretty soon. If they advance to the UCL knockout stage, they may wait to the summer so at most Pepi would back him up for a half a season.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let him make this year-long transition behind Haaland at Dortmund. We can also speculate, without knowing, Haaland won't be at BVB beyond this season, or at the latest, next, because the club could get 100m, if they don't wait til near the end of his contract.

Worst case scenario, Pepi can still rotate, get service, and prove himself in around 1k BL minutes. Sufficient for his current ability-level, and proof for the NT, as well as other prospective buying clubs.

It's a route that has higher upside and lower downside than Ajax. Ajax would be better than going to a big club in EPL where he could end up getting buried, but there are still a lot of better options, many in the BL.

HScoach13 repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Has any source linked him to Dortmund yet so far?

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just did.
    The smartest soccer people on the Internet just spoke this into existence.
    Now Dortmund just have to be smart enough to listen to us.

9. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    They still have Malen who they just bought and Moukoko. Heck Tigges isn’t old and is useful as an occasional sub. If BVB stay with 2 strikers up top I could see Pepi getting minutes. If not he’s probably be buried.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I forgot that's the situation at Dortmund. Malen is the problem. The other two aren't a concern. Tigges has no future there and Moukoko was a youth hype product.

I'd prefer he just take the Bayern route. They have the long-term deal with FCD to do right by their kids. And loans down from them are very appealing - see Richards.

Anyway, I don't know if the Dortmund rumors were off speculation or anything concrete.

11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It was reported that two clubs in Germany that were also in the UCL were interested in Pepi. With the natural connection between Bayern and Dallas one of the clubs would be Bayern. The "speculation" is that Dortmund is the other club and the fact that Dortmund does not expect to keep Haaland after this season.

12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He looks very offside but that's a nice run and goal

14. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slowed down the video. Unless the camera angle is too far off, he is definitely off. Good finish though.

15. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My very, very uneducated guess……Wolfsburg. Reportedly Wout Weghorst can had for the right price and Spurs have been interested for over a year. Sporting Director Marcel Schafer - who finished his career with the TB Rowdies - IIRC said something in the last year about potentially exploring MLS talent. Why not start with Pepi?

beamish repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the wording from the unknown BL Team... makes me think it is possible he goes there and starts early on. AJAX would be cool but would he get minutes? Haller already has 10 goals in all comps this season. That is in less than 800 minutes. Pretty legit. Priority one is playing time.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    how dare you put forward the least sexy option

kruck and m vann repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s sexy. You just gotta believe. God dammit! Now I got that I’m Too Sexy throwback song in head. Oh well. Changed some lyrics to fit the Pepi narrative……

He’s too sexy for your shirt
    He’s sexy for your shirt
    So sexy it hurts
    And he’s too sexy for Milan
    Too sexy for Bologna
    Bayern and Ajax
    And he’s too sexy for your party
    Too sexy for your party
    No way I'm Frisco dancing

I’m a footballer, you know what I mean
    And I do little turn in the 18
    Yeah, in the 18, in the 18, yeah
    I do my little run in the 18

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right said, Phred! :D

russ and m vann repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Would that be a good destination for him?

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a great spot for him if Weghorst departs. Wolfsburg plays a very enjoyable brand of football and it relies pretty heavily on a quality 9.

butters59 repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #123 butters59, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Thanks. Better than go to Bayern and taking something like Richards' path? How valuable woud be learning from Lewa whom Pepi is more similar than to Woghurst? Or minutes are more important?

24. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    The issue there is that most teams (including Bayern) only play one striker, and they don’t rotate strikers much.

At center back, you have two spots, and for whatever reason, it seems like a more injury-prone position than striker.

Pepi needs to go somewhere that he’s going to get a legit crack at starting relatively quickly. If Bayern buys him with real plans of having him replace Lewandowski within a couple years, that would be great. But if they buy him because he’s cheap, and they’re still ready to shell out big money on a young European striker, then I’d rather see him go somewhere like Wolfsburg. For them, 12-15 million dollars is a pretty big investment. And they’re going to give a guy a lot of room to prove himself. Kind of like spending a top draft pick on a quarterback.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States