Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Beasnter

Beasnter Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Im just guessing but since he’s tall and Mexican American, I think he got el tren from his family/friends. We like nicknames a little too much lol

Pl@ymaker and Gorky repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it be any different? Obviously, it won't be to the same degree, but if Zat was the type of player that help others improve he would have a record of doing so. He hasn't.

3. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    This is def true. But sometimes improvement comes from observing and imitating greatness.

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You'll likely start seeing more interest from Serie A teams towards young MLS players for a few reasons.

1)Italian teams are being bought by American owners

2) MLS transfers are insanely cheap compared to other leagues.

Italian teams are sniffing at MLS teams more and more but the rule towards non EU players causes hesitancy

usnroach, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually another reason why they'd show disproportionate interest relative to La Liga or France. There's more of a loophole to allow them entrance into the league before long. I think all they have to do is loan them to another EU league first.

6. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know for most attackers, especially cf's, it's better they go to clubs where they get service. That means better clubs. They'll have more competition there, but also they are positions where subs and rotation is required, so if they have a pulse, they should get some opportunities.

And Bayern is not a club where they have a no kids policy. Davies got integrated from MLS. Musialia did from their academy. Did it with a couple defenders as well.

Our very own Chris Richards also got some shots, w/out excelling in a decent league and for the senior team 1st, unlike Pepi. Richards could have seized opportunities. Instead he felt pressure, which Pepi hasn't shown so far. And Bayern have still had somewhat of a plan for Richards to integrate him eventually or sell him after giving him an appropriate loan. If that's a realistic worst case for Pepi, he's still in decent shape.

I could envision Pepi being a regular for Bayern eventually. As was said, as much of a stud as Lewandowski is, father time's undefeated, so at most he has a couple years left there as a starter. Even if Pepi's not a starter but in a rotation for Bayern, his goalscoring confidence should be maintained, as well as his rep if that's not going to be ultimately satisfying for him. He said his dream is to play in the EPL. Top 6 clubs won't scoff at a young, rotational striker for Bayern.

So I'd endorse this move over most. In fact I'd take plenty of comfort in it. As a bonus Bayern's long-term agreement w/ FCD is going to incentivize to do right by their products.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheFalseNine, Pl@ymaker and bballshawn repped this.
  9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glutton4Bolts, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Why now? Would make no sense.

12. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    The reporter is followed by (inter alia) Sciaretta, Tom Bogert, Felipe Cardenas, Matt Doyle, and Brian Dunseth, so probably at least somewhat reliable.

TrustingtheProcess and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    seems like a pretty normal time to worry about signing kids who are in season and not going to be able to be registered until the winter

14. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Right...only poorly run clubs actually start and complete moves during the transfer window. For everyone else, the transfer window is just the culmination of work.

russ, theboogeyman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    yeah sure. But if I’m FC Dallas i say cool talk to us/Pepi once our season is over which is well in advance of the winter transfer window vs distract before season is up.

also, how often are transfers decided/agreed to well in advance of the window opening or seasons not underway? Genuine question not smartass question.

16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Sorry I get it though. Pepis people want it to happen sooner. I get it now.

17. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Early agreements happen. CP’s Chelsea deal was settled in January even though he stayed at Dortmund for the rest of the season. I believe Davies actually signed with Bayern in the summer and joined after the MLS season. Free transfers are announced outside of transfer windows all the time. It seems like Bayern signs somebody from another Bundesliga for free every other year, and the deals are announced in the spring.

russ repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But none of those cases apply here. Unless he is an upcoming free agent, he can only sign in a transfer window, even if he will be loaned back like Pulisic.

twoolley repped this.
  19. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Right. But in general, in all sports, teams make deals before the actual windows for deals happen. It's not as if, on the first day of the transfer window, clubs, agents, and players say, "hm, wonder who's interested in our guys?" Instead, there's all sorts of scouting work, general feeling-out of salary demands, etc. It's why "tapping up" is a fixture in the British sports lexicon.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Keita to Liverpool was announced super early too.

twoolley repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least one Italian club thinks the price is too dear:

Ricardo Pepi, American talent born in 2003, targeted by several Italian clubs (via
    @MLSsocceritalia).

The #Milan took information but at the moment the evaluation made by Fc Dallas is considered too high

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Worth noting right now Nilan has their scouts find a lot of promising players give the team an offer and see who accepts. Frustrating as a Milan fan the last 18 months but they have ended up with good players.

That being said at this point Milan I do not think would be ideal... this year. Between Ibra, Rebecca, Giraud, and Pellegri (and even Leao) there is no room for him at striker.

Juve, Milan, and Florentina are all interested. I think Fiorentina makes the most sense in Italy. Very good young coach who plays an exciting style and will be likely selling a start striker

23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-tr...dallas-forward-garners-interest-across-europe

ESPN running with the story as well.

I can speak on the Juventus option. Juve just signed a promising young Brazilian ST over the summer (Kaio Jorge, 19). They also brought back Moise Kean (academy kid, 21) this past summer. Morata (loan, 28) and Dybala (end of contract, 28) are toss-ups. Kaio Jorge or Pepi would have to go out on loan most likely. This could be a good option for him, Juve send out numerous youngsters every summer throughout Serie A. Currently, Juve have players at Genoa (Rovella), Atalanta (Demiral, kind of a youngster at 23), and Sampdoria (Ihatteren, Dragusin) in Serie A.

As a Juventino, I would love it because I rate Pepi.

As a USMNT fan, I would see if there was better options/paths to guaranteed playtime.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ajax?! Like the cleaning product? Never heard of them. Have they ever produced a soccer player? ;) :D

PalmettoSpur, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.