Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we will see what happens with his career...but Bologna would be a great move for him, imo....it is a shame that MLS' "mechanisms" seem to be preventing it.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just think it would be very awkward for them to see pepi tomorrow given his current salary and their current demands on the open market....they have to meet in the middle, at least...which apparently they did.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, won't disagree with you there. That's the American sporting model. It doesn't work as well in MLS as it does in other legal monopolies like the MLB since the league has actual competition, but it still works somewhat. In Europe guys would sign for $20k a year and then get immediately bumped up to $500k once they start contributing, but MLS just doesn't work like that. I've given up caring about it since MLS, the MLSPA, and American labor laws make it way too complicated to change. Best you can hope for is the raises that Dallas likes giving their players, a la Cannon, Pepi, Pax, Ferreira.

I just don't think that pre-transfer salaries and transfer fees are in any way related, and they shouldn't be. I don't see why Bologna would pay a club a multiple of a player's salary, it's more based on what the market is willing to pay for him.

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    But you also take it in context with other FCD sales. Cannon 3m. Tessmann 4m. Reynolds 8m. Pepi? Shouldn't Pepi be at or above Reynolds?

The contract is a win, win for Pepi and FCD with the added bonus that now FCD has a developmental HG spot open for Coracan, or whomever is next up. Bologna can kvetch and argue that's too much to pay but if Pepi keeps producing someone is going to pony up. Might be much better for them if they bite the bullet now when less teams are bidding than waiting.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s pretty clear that MLS salaries are artificially lowered, due to the salary cap and various funny money mechanisms. Whether you want to call that “suppressing salaries” is up to you.

comoesa and adam tash repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    C'mon now, let's be fair. They also rely on Argentina.

PalmettoSpur, comoesa, ChicagoVT and 7 others repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some additional contract info:

1420128524049035266 is not a valid tweet id

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in context, everything makes sense, in a way.

goalscoring costs a premium...so I would say yes certainly that pepi should cost more than reynolds did.

Sure
    but people stick to the valuations literally in many cases.

I think it actually hurts (and has hurt american players in past) more than people ackonowledge...especially in terms of transfers and prestige and moving up the l=club ladder. they get no respect on the world market. the opposite of england...who has inlfated reps off of inflated salaries.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The original tweet referenced a $15M release clause for 75% of his rights.

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    MLS needs to hold out here. They don't want to look up and see his value rise to 5 or 6 times his transfer fee, the way certain others have. I get taking a loss on Davies to establish the market. But it's time for it to pay off.

adam tash repped this.
  11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Name the last 18 year old striker that was sold for $30m. Haaland didn't get anywhere near that to go to Salzburg.

Pepi is good and should be sold for around $10m but $15m+ seems like way too much in a covid reduced market.

adam tash, FC Tallavana and superdave repped this.
  12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teenage strikers, of similar quality, aren't being sold right now.

13. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    $10m seems like it is way above what Sargent and Hoppe's market value is right now. Is he worth that much more than those guys?

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not MLS, it’s FC Dallas that will decide. The more their products succeed in Europe, the more they will have leverage to ask for more. Bayern is still after Che

15. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    It depends on how you determine worth. We’ve seen tons of really unproven young players go high in the nba draft because teams are in love with their potential. Pepi is two years younger than those others, and although he plays in a weaker league, he’s performing at a much higher level than they did in the Bundesliga. To me, he has also shown a more complete skill set than the other two.

elite strikers are so difficult to find, and if I’m a big club looking to find a potential star, I’d be more interested in Pepi. If I’m a mid-table club in Germany looking for a guy who I’m familiar with to fill a certain role, and not have to struggle with a big cultural transition, Sargent or Hoppe would be my guy.

largegarlic, Pl@ymaker and superdave repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link?

good Lord.

onefineesq repped this.
  17. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Any dual national panic with Pepi? As a striker he has an easier path to the full USMNT than playing any other position outside of maybe LB. A lot of opportunity with the US. Hopefully 3G has been reaching out.

adam tash repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look they were paying him 90k.year before his recent extension signed yesterday and a team from serie a comes in with a big offer in the millions of dollars and gets rejected.

i dont need a link.

I just hope it all works out in the end.

15m seems it might be too high a mountain to climb for all but the best teams - which might just loan army him....which would be bad.

idk - just hope it works out.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I think you are underrating Hoppe and Sargent.

20. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think both can become quality starters for us, but right now they are both looking at being depth/quality competition signings for mid-level bundesliga teams. Pepi is more likely to have the eye of bigger clubs at this point in time.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    it doesnt take a conspiracy to want to pay someone a little and sell them for a lot imo

onefineesq and superdave repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 adam tash, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    I dont think its a conspiracy.

I think MLS wants to get the "normal" transfer fees for its players as high as possble. that is its long game ...and thats a good idea for the league and sport in the USA.

I dont think anything is being hidden in this case.

i mean you cant pay a player 90k and demand 15m from europe....thats just not gonna work.

I just hope that it works out in the best interest of the player.

So far if you look at what has happened with Dike...it seemed that MLS was on to something...but he hasnt transferred, yet. that 20m valuation might prove prohibitive.

its a game of chicken between euro clubs and MLS....and so far euro clubs have not really budged much. they are standing very firm and have a lot to gain by keeping the fees as low as possible- ...though MLS has recently gained some grund with players like reynolds, etc.

in a way,MLS players also benefit from lower fees too....if europe has to pay the same as they would for brazilian or argentinian plauers they might stop shopping so much in MLS...I think the low prices of mls players comparitively is a big reason why more players from mls are transferring to euope. take that away and things might slow down.

what could happen is that individual players get caught in the line of fire so to speak....and some players who couldve otherwise had great transfers might be collateral damage in this long game MLS is playing.

i think thats what europe will force MLS to do to get where they want to be in terms of valuations/

It will be interesting to see the next collective bargaining agreement betwen players and mls if these transfer fees start to explode....will be very hard for MLS to continue to justify the salary structure they have established, imo

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what league regularly and intentionally undervalues its players to make it easier to transfer them? you can look at transfermarkt and see that this kind of value for a young attacker has literally happened 100 times all over the world

onefineesq and superdave repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    none.

Historically, MLS has regularly and intentionally undervalued its players to cut costs and keep them as low as possible. thats the american management way. it was never about transferrring them. it was before about preventing them from leaving in many cases.

recent events have changed things. MLS has shifted its approach but is still operating under the old model in some ways...which creates some contradictions and weirdness.

i think lowly paid players, weirdly, actually works to the advantage of players who want to transfer out of MLS...but its not by design from the leauge...that would be ridiculous

25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i dont think what you are saying about mls undervaluing transfers intentionally is accurate in the least. there was no established market since there was so little in terms of noteworthy mls export success stories. that has changed and now mls valuations are normalizing to the global market. you are attributing nefarious actions to what are simply growing pains.