Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not look out of place in only his second 1.BL game. I’ll take that all day coming from MLS and the off-season. He had some nice touches, took his disallowed goal very nicely. He’ll battle for goals all season long with this Augsburg team, and may not score a bunch, but at least he doesn’t look at all out of place to my eye.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling with the way he plays that unless he’s on the score sheet he’s going to have a lot of those. He’s ungainly to watch, and a bunch of the things he tries don’t come off, but I hope he keeps playing that way as that one out of 10 times his back heel pass across the top of the box comes off, the result is dangerous.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use it within reason but never become “that guy”, the back-heeling fool.

jnielsen, ttrevett and Alemannia repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pl@ymaker and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of shit.

ChicagoVT and russ repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, do not care about Kicker ratings. They are given by a kicker "reporter" who had a bratwurst and bier and "watched" the match.

They probably saw that Pepi played a lot and didn't score, hence a 4.5 rating.

WheezingUSASupport, taylor, russ and 2 others repped this.
  9. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Didn’t score.
    Huge money signing.
    American.

Hmm. I see a way that I can maybe get kicker a lot fot attention and hits.

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately for my kickabout league, that's me. Personally, I blame the target of my back heels. They never seem to be able to get there. It has absolutely nothing to do with my technique. None whatsoever. ;)

ChrisSSBB and wixson7 repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You would then be, I guess, a heel-ot!

Walter Brennan got something to say to you!

12. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker's ratings are subjective so you can bet that the $18MM transfer price had something to do with expectations for Pepi.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I watched and I give 3.5. End of story.

taylor repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Blitzer gives a (non-)answer as to how involved he was with the transfer.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You really do have to care about what Kicker says, because more than any other source,it shapes perception. Perception does not dictate the actions of the manager,but it does influence them.
    A couple more ratings like this and the "Is Pepi a bust?" questions begin and people will turn on him. Now, maybe those people are fans and fans are fickle. But it's a dead cert that everyone in every club front office studies what Kicker writes.

dspence2311 repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also, has to be said, this is not the time Pepi needs to leave Germany for a Nats appearance. Hope for the best but this has really stupid call up written all over it. He needs to get focused, settled in and comfortable with his new club. Now he returns in after the callup back at day one.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean this is a super critical World Cup qualifying window, of course he was going to get called up. There are times when you leave players with their clubs to get established, but this isn’t one of those times. This is when you pull out all the stops.

jnielsen, ChicagoVT, Zinkoff and 5 others repped this.
  18. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, ChicagoVT, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    A tough opponent. Hopefully Ricardo gets off the mark today, but boy, Augsburg was dominated in the midfield last week. I hope they are better today.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And that time is never. A player's career is what matters most. Without it going well, he's never going to be a part of a national team set up, so as a national team manager, you only have the right to think short term gain when you're actually in a World Cup, which is off season. but even then, it's irresponsible to think short term (managers will, but they shouldn't).

LouisianaViking07/09 and russ repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean do you think Ricardo Pepi wanted to be left behind? I’m sure he very much wanted to be on the roster. And I don’t think Augsburg is shocked that he’s getting called up or that this is unexpected.

Players don’t turn down call ups for World Cup Qualifying. It’d be one thing if it were say Nations League (and I expect Pepi to get the summer off from this), but this is probably the most critical window the USMNT has.

And I don’t think this is going to have a drastic impact on his career one way or another.

don Lamb, ChicagoVT and jjmack repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, this isn’t a window for friendlies. We are trying to qualify for the World Cup. Any marginal benefit for the USMNT in letting him stay in Germany to get acclimated is just not in the same zip code as having a proven goal scorer available.

I see this perspective often when discussing yanks abroad, namely that one small thing like where Pepi is this window as a career defining moment. It’s not. It would be mildly helpful for his club career. But my goodness, he’s only missing training with the players who ain’t called up. How much is really being lost here?

don Lamb, ChicagoVT, GreedyG and 3 others repped this.
  23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman now doing Bundesliga games? The first Pepi game I’m able to watch and there is Twellman. He even referenced the Kicker rating just now as I’m writing this. LOL

ChicagoVT, russ, adam tash and 2 others repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I agree, but do you think that Kicker grades also reflect public perception? Like when someone is widely perceived as a bust, kicker is likely to give him a lower grade (cough Bobby Wood cough).