Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The best German beer is Czech or Belgian - or at least was when I was there... But I digress.

Gorky repped this.
  2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I like this Czech beer* with an interesting story behind it:
    Budweiser trademark dispute - Wikipedia

* hate the American version

In the all-touch video, I like Pepi physicality and speed. I think he will be fine in that regard. He also seems to pressure opponents well on defense.

You gotta be a tough hombre mentally not to get frustrated receiving only 1/8, 1/4 chances most games that lower tier clubs produce. And not choking when you do get a great chance.

I'd love to see him get an easy chance early in the next couple games and bury it, just to get off the board with scoring. It will be interesting to see how his 1v1 skills translate to BL & also how good he will be to recognize when to have a go at a defender.

3. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    My super early hot take is that Pepi is going to be reasonably successful at Augsburg, but not so successful that they win a ton or make a lot of money on his eventual sale. Andre Silva absolutely tore it up at Eintracht Frankfurt, but only went to Leipzig for 25 million dollars, according to transfermarket.

I can see Pepi hitting 15ish goals in a couple years before earning a similar move to a better team, but not for more than 25-30 million dollars.

SpencerNY and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek Rae translates a Kicker profile of Pepi in this Twitter thread:

mace, ChrisSSBB, KenC and 8 others repped this.
  5. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    He’s easily my favorite player on the team now. Would absolutely love to see him become a star for a huge club.

CyphaPSU and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Kicker gave Pepi a 3.5 for his performance on Saturday.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Kicker grades again! Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it wasn't a Woodie.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The long articles on ESPN and maybe Athletic? - are worth taking the time to read.

ChrisSSBB and Fat&Old repped this.
  10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Looked like he had a goal where the ball went to him nicely but the referee blew the whistle for a foul on Augsburg.

Then the actual goal could have been Pepi’s. The other guy was lucky the goalie was cheating the other way.

Either way, 1-1 is a decent result so far for a team trying to get ahead of relegation.

13. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the game on in the background, so not fully concentrating on him... but what I saw was decent- a passable first start. Made some nice runs into channels, worked hard to get into the box, followed that foul/play up to finish well, was just offsides on a nice break that I would've liked him to finish, and pressed pretty well.

I'd like to see his hold-up play improve... and as a young guy getting opportunities, I know it will. But otherwise, showed a lot of what he's shown in MLS... inauspicious but decent first start.

jnielsen, nobody, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I watched the whole game, I would rate him "ok". Augsburg definitely is not eye candy and they just don't pass well when they are near the opponents goal. If we wanted to be kind, you could say that they need to work with Pepi to understand his runs better. Or you can say that most of their attackers aren't very good and can't hit an open run. I am sure it is partly the latter.

russ, ardubois3, el floppo and 1 other person repped this.
  15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Pepi looks less ‘raw’, more refined to me than Hoppe.

16. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Favorite player on his new club?

17. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    USMNT

18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Granted he has potential. What makes him your favorite USMNT player?

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Agree he was ok. He had a chance in the first half to control a long ball better that might've put him in on goal - that's about the only thing I can criticize. Otherwise he just played ok. I think this will be the case most games with this team.

20. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    His story is pretty unique and inspiring. His parents obviously took a big risk and made a big sacrifice moving to El Paso. And he said when talking about why he chose the US over Mexico that he was really grateful for the opportunities he’s had growing up in America. I love to see guys like him succeed. The fact that he’s on pace to be our best striker ever just makes it even more fun to watch him.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Oh oh, it’s going to be Sargent all over again.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1482845617667903489 is not a valid tweet id

23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I remember reading some analysis that showed Pepi was about league average in MLS last season, but got lucky (maybe outperformed xG) to raise his goal total. Which is still good for an 18 year old, but added some context in that he wasn't just dominating the league.

Add to that he's 0 for his last 5 with the NT, his production came against 2 of the worst teams in the Octagonal, and he's just moved to a bottom table team that doesn't score goals, and we have a slightly worrying situation that is indeed reminiscent of Sargent. And I can't deal with listening to another group of posters calling for him to be moved to defensive midfielder cuz he can't score enough with his .1xG per game.

Wonder how much leeway he'll get from the impatient group here, but definitely concerning.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He scored 13 on an xG of 8.86 per American Soccer Analysis.

Even if he hit xG dead-on, that's an impressive goal total for a teenage striker in any first division league.

He looked totally wiped out by the end of the season though, both for club and country. He got too many minutes in 2021, so I hope there aren't any knock-on effects from that.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana