Ricardo Clark

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by bluearmy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. bluearmy

bluearmy New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Wigan, England
    Wigan fan here. Was just wondering if you had heard anything about this story, and your opininos on it-

---------------------------------------------------

Wigan Athletic are reportedly running the rule over MSL midfielder Ricardo Clark, with the 21-year-old landing in Manchester yesterday in a bid to show off his talents.

Clark has just finished his second season with New Jersey's MetroStars and is currently being touted over here by a London based sports agency who believe he has what it takes to make a name for himself in the UK.

Wigan have a week to check him over before he returns to the States and the talented midfielder could possibly make an appearance for David Lowe's second string as they take on Sheffield United at the Robin Park Arena on Wednesday afternoon (kick off 2pm).

MetroStars selected him from Furman College in the 2003 draft and he made 28 starts in his first season, scoring 3 goals and earned a nomination for MSL Rookie of the Year. He also set a club record for a first year rookie with 27 consecutive starts, smashing the previous mark of 15 set in 1998.

He continued his good form during the following campaign, which finished recently, making 26 appearances, 7 of those from the bench and scoring once.

The Atlanta born player was called up to the USA senior squad for the first time last week showing just how far he has come in a short period of time but unfortunatly didn't make the final 18 for the game against Jamaica in a CONCACAF qualifier.

However Clark is no stranger to the international scene have starred for the youth sides since 1999 and represented the U20's in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, playing in all 5 of their games as they progressed to the quarter-final where they lost in extra time to Argentina.

--------------------------------------------------------------

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how he's going to qualify for a work permit. Well, at least he's impressed someone overseas.

3. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    if we lose Clark to England so fast. Bob and Nick should be sent to Iraq!

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see him get a winter loan spell over in Europe somewhere, but I don't know how he gets the work permit in the UK.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Clark has the talent to play in the First Division, or whatever it's called these days, but I agree that the work permit issue is a big hurdle to overcome.

Does anyone know if Clark has some Caribbean lineage through which he might qualify for an EU passport?

6. bluearmy

bluearmy New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Wigan, England

European relatives maybe, allowing him to get another passport ??

I'm sure he wouldnt come over to England / Europe looking for a move if there was no chance of him getting a work-permit.

Still, getting another passport can takes ages anyway.

7. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    It may be that he doesn't have to qualify, his parents, while U.S. citizens were not born here.

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that he's of Trini extraction. Could be wrong. But T&T is not part of the EU.

Looks like Rico stays or unless he gets married to a European...

9. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Right on the T & T connection, but one parent is from British Guayana.

10. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    whatever the case is, if he is going...we should make a quick overnight trade with Columbus for Danny and let them get screwed when Rico departs overseas before the next MLS season

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Excuse my ignorace please, but are citizens of British Guyana royal subjects/UK citizens and thus able to work in England?

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, Nick would never think of it.

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started the season injured the Metros had a crowded midfield, he didn't start rounding into form until the very end of the season.

He works his butt off and has good ball skills. I would like to see how he does

14. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY

hopefully better than Bobby Conway doing

15. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Very good defensive midfielder. The skill side of his game is way above average as far as defensive midfielders go. His shooting needs lots of work though. Very good at dribbling out of a crowd and can distribute the ball well.

Tell you what. We'll let you have him straight up for Jason Roberts :)

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yet another positive step for the future of MSL.

Whatever league that is. (groan).

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's the feeder league for the ELP. lol

18. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    ELP?!? Are they back in the studio again?

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off I would be suspect of an artical that can't even get this simple fact of a leagues name right. Its MLS not MSL.

Ricardo CLark has zero caps and will never get a work permit anyway. Most likely he is doing what a lot of our young talent is doing this offseason..going to English and European squads to train and practice. Given Wigan is top or near top of the CHampionship, Its a good experiance for them to see how others train and hopefully pick up good work ethics from other profesionals. So I suspect he is just training not going on trial looking for a contract.

He is one our nations more promising defensive midfielders, but he is still young and raw...its a wait and see process right now.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For the sake of argument, I'm going to project that Ricardo is eligible for a work permit through his parent's herritage and that he shows well enough in his trial that Wigan is interested.

So, the queston, hypothetically, becomes how much of a transfer fee would MLS want for Clark?

I'd guess around 1.5 million, US, but that's just conjecture on my part. Any thoughts?

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit less probably, 1.2 mill or so...As long as there was a sell on clause, i see no problem...
    Except of course for the fact that the club i love has not won a thing in 9 years, going on 10......

I wish there was an expansion GM draft....I'd leave Nick unprotected in a second.....

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If Rico would be smart. Stay in MLS, keep on improving his skills under Bradley, Bruce knows that he has a good young raw talented subject in Clark. If Rico stays helathy keeps on finding an edge with his goal scoring touch, because we already know that Rico is very strong as a defensive Midfielder, but if he can keep on going with his goal scoring abillity, right there you have a dangerous weapon on your side of the pitch. He is always in the right position to let one rip.

The two goals he scored out of his three from last season were highlight goals. The ripper that equalized in Chicago and the other ripper from 25 yards out against DC. The goal this year against DC was placed so brilliently that everyone got up from their chairs. If Rico was healthy all season long, we could have expected maybe 3 to 6 goals from him. That's how confident I am of Rico. We all know he is rock solid in his defense, but if he can sharpen his skills on the offense a little more. There is another threat to the Metro Offense.

23. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys its just off season training. He's not going anywhere. Relax. ;)

AMERICANS ABROAD: Several M.L.S. players will spend part of their off-season training with clubs in Europe. The list includes: Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas/Manchester United), Clint Dempsey (New England/Feyenoord), Ramon Nunez (FC Dallas/Glasgow Celtic), Pat Noonan (New England/Chelsea), Damani Ralph (Chicago/Feyenoord), Steve Cronin (San Jose/Chelsea), Nelson Akwari (Real Salt Lake/Bochum) and Ricardo Clark (MetroStars/Wigan Athletic). Three other MetroStars, Kenny Arena, Michael Bradley and Jeff Parke, will train with Sunderland. Also, 8 of the 10 players selected by CD Chivas USA in the expansion draft will be in Guadalajara, Mexico, training at the club's facilities

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love to see people get their panties in a bunch about half-assed articles like this. Whaddya think, folks, Kenny Arena gets signed by Sunderland next?

$1.5 m is too low for Clark, given the current state of the dollar. If my math is right, with the exchange rate US$1.5 m is roughly 45 pounds and pint of bitter. Reagardless, he's not going anywhere soon. Just like the Metros. (Unless, of course, we do manage to land Jason Roberts!)

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Agreed, he's not going anywhere for now. But I do think that Ricardo is one of those players that would benefit from an early transfer abroad. I think he's got tremendous talent and instinct, but he floundered last year. That worries me. Anyway, hope he keeps his head down, keeps working hard, and stays with the Metros for a few more years.