Ribiero & McVeigh

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by NedZ, May 20, 2009.

1. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not even sure what that means. Does it mean we only have two days to evaluate him and offer him a contract? Does it mean he really isn't trialing at all but merely training with the team? Having a bit of a holiday?

Also, why are we looking at someone (Ribiero)who could not even break the starting lineup for Montreal?

Glen, Ribeiro, McVeigh, color me unimpressed.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly.

4. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me either...what a waste!

5. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    The McVeigh related quotes do seem a bit odd. On the other hand, given his history alongside Huckerby, maybe there has been some discussion with Huckerby regarding McVeigh's abilities? Attacking midfielder is a place where help is needed and assuming Huckerby will soon return to the lineup, I would not be sorry to see 3 players on the pitch with Premiership/Championship experience (especially with two of them having played together previously).

6. OhHuckerby

OhHuckerby New Member

May 17, 2008
    England
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh dear... McVeigh eh? :(

7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Please continue! Can you add any details?

8. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (crickets)

9. tmack

tmack Member

Dec 7, 2007
    santa cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while mcveigh may have championship experience, his most recent experience is with a team that was relegated down to non-league football....i've never seen him play, so i can't call it, but his resume is a little dodgy

10. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both these guys resumes are dodgy. The players we're getting in seem well and truly bizarre.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like an indication of how difficult it is to get the players we need.

12. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or, conversely, how easy it was to get these guys to show up. These guys aren't an improvement over what we currently have (Elliott and Corralles).

13. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im surprised you are all complaining about resumes here. arent a few of you complaining that a trialist that didnt make the team here now plays for everton? his resume wasnt all that great either.

you never know who could be the missing cog for our team.

14. tmack

tmack Member

Dec 7, 2007
    santa cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't make the team here...

that seems a bit disingenuous (sp?).....anton didn't sign with the quakes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to make it here.....i don't think we need to go over the details of his trial in yet another thread

batistia's trial was intriguing to me because of his age (21 IIRC).....struggling as a young teams finds it's legs is preferrable to me over struggling with a bunch of guys whose best days are behind them, or whose best days weren't good enough in the first place

15. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! I'd rather the Brazilian come back and try it again than these current trialists.

16. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was thinking much the same thing. The FO gets a ton of crap for not bringing in midfielders as trialists, and then sight unseen these guys aren't good enough. Then I realized not to try to make sense or clear points. That will only confuse things. ;)

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That's a good point. One caveat however is that these guys are somewhat established players, whereas Peterlin is just out of college. But I suppose you never really know how a guy is going to fit in until you have a chance to see it in action. Also, it kind of gives you a baseline, i.e. you can see how a player with a more impressive resume does relative to more of a journeyman type of guy.

18. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sat through yesterdays scrimmage. They didn't look better than Elliott or Corralles. McVeigh was better than "topnot" Ribiero though. I saw topnot last week too, didn't impress ... I have a flexible schedule. :)

19. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It was Luton though. Luton was docked 30 points before the season even began. The odds of them beating relegation were very slim.

20. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't want to point finger (it's a light poke anyway), but present company excepted of course. By the way, your update in the Roster Thread was much appreciated. Now that we have names, I'll go update it.

21. RUMBLIN

RUMBLIN New Member

May 16, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a prime indicator that manditory drug testing should be immediately implemented for Club Management. Period. End of Story.

22. OhHuckerby

OhHuckerby New Member

May 17, 2008
    England
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good player on his day, liked his alcohol though and although that may have changed I think he's past it now. Just been released after having a bit-part season in the 4th tier of English football.

23. RUMBLIN

RUMBLIN New Member

May 16, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McVeigh might make Hucks FEEL A TAD BIT BETTER, about the situation here in E-town, but he's not our A/D Mid answer....and let's all drink to that.

24. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Doyle and Yallop... This is pathetic.

25. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    youre right. The Special One should've been running the show here a long time ago.

BE CHAMPIONS!