Rhine or Curtis?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ChrisE, Nov 5, 2003.

1. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I can't imagine the team keeping both of these guys for next season. They basically fill the same role. Both are hard working forwards who don't finish very well; both are good character guys. Neither is good enough, at the present time, to start in MLS, but both make more than adequate subs.

Furthermore, neither are really prospects anymore: Rhine is 27, Curtis is 24 (almost 25). Most likely, neither is going to develop significantly in the future.

Ali is faster and probably stronger, but he hasn't been able to put up the kinds of numbers that Rhine has. So, if you could only keep one, who is it?

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I call BS. That just isn't true, but I already talked about this in another similar thread. Rhine.

3. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Re: Re: Rhine or Curtis?

Maybe I didn't pick my words correctly. How about "No team should be happy with either of these guys starting at forward."

Of the 20 (or so) starting forwards in MLS, neither Ali nor Rhine would be in the top 15. They wouldn't be in the top 18.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtis is younger and faster.

But I think Rhine can do more with ball in front of the goal (pass, dribble and finish) better than Curtis.

But I see no reason why we don't keep both next season. Both are capable subs at relatively low cap dollars. WEe're not going to be able to find anyone in their salary who can play any better - unless we draft the next Damani Ralph.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe we can find a mad scientist to combine Rhine and Curtis to make one super player, with speed like Curtis and finishing ability like Rhine. Yea.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    We have four of the first 11 draft picks this year. Although, yes, we have holes all over the field, I would hope that we would be willing to spend at least one of those on a forward (in addition to having the league's worst defense, we were tied for worst offense).

Las year, the attacking players picked in the first round were
    1. Alecko Eskandarian
    3. Nate Jaqua
    4. Mike Magee
    8. Guillermo Gonzalez
    9. Pat Noonan

in 2002, it was
    2. Taylor Twellman
    3. Brad Davis
    4. Justin Mapp
    6. Luchi Gonzalez
    8. Kyle Martino

Except for Luchi Gonzalez and Memo (who is what, 17?), I would rather have every single one of these guys starting than Rhine or Curtis. And, except for Gonzalez and Noonan, every one of these guys cost $0 against the cap their first year.

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I think if Toni Nhelko is gone, they will both be on the roster. Reason:

Curtis as a fast forward that, with Toni gone, will get a chance to play rather than either Kreis or Johnson. Glinton appears to be of marginal value. Somehow Rhine got to play and he didn't, and Rhine is not near as fast.

And, Rhine is going to be the next Ted Eck: the workhorse attitude guy that makes the team a team. I would not be surprised to see him stay at wide mid, maybe even try a few practices at defensive mid. He is such a team player I think they will want to keep him.

But, if Nheklo stays, or they find a better forward discovery, or they use their allocation on a big time forward, then both might be gone because they will need the cap room. They'll draft forwards that make minimum and trade Rhine and maybe Curtis for draft picks for next year. And there is Jason Thompson too.

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    What's Curtis' contract status?

If there's a chance that he can play closer to home, it will happen. From what I understand, he, like EZ, recently bought a house.

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like Curtis better then Rhine as a forward.

Rhine losing the ball too much and does not seem to understand that as a forward, you main job is to ATTACK! The first time I saw Bobby Rhine play was a year ago and to be frank, he sucked. He never chased down the long balls and didn't do one thing. However the last game of the season when he was in the midfield, I was suprised, but glad he could actually do something useful.

Curtis on the other hand, along with Toni, and EJ have been the forwards I want the Burn to have. They aren't afraid to attack, the pressure, they go FORWARD, try to create something, and aren't afraid to shoot.

10. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can't believe what I'm hearing! Keep Rhine?

He is the first player that needs to be cut in any kind of move back to respectability. If you want to cut Curtis too, fine, although I kind of like him.

I just think that maybe we ought to keep Nhelko. He may be expensive, but the offense definitely seems to play better when he is on the field. I think he and Kreis could be a dangerous combo. Besides, a bird in the hand may be better than two in the bush. If we keep him, then we really have one less glaring hole on the team and can concentrate on doing something about the central midfield.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think theres no question about it. Nhelko works his ass off to win the ball up front and HOLD it until help arrives, I could see him paring well with Jason.

Ok, as much of a Rhine fan I am, I'm now leaning towards Curtis, he's just more dangerous.

12. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the assumption that Toni is gone and the team will keep Rhine or Ali, I go with Ali. Assume futher that Jason will be starting next year. Bobby is the same type of player as Jason, just substantially less talented. Ali is a different type of player, a striker. That gives the defense more to worry about.

Ali has a great work ethic and will work well with Jason.

What about Thompson? I would like to see what he can do. Regardless, the Burn should try to get an attacking player with one of thier top picks.