Rhine on fire: Bradley at Cologne 3/14 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Lascho, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Keller was rated a 1.5 a couple of times and received the coveted Spieler des Spiels also.

2. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    that's my point. supercooper was telling us to temper our expectations for MB because some other american player had injury problems. that is borderline idiotic. why not just temper our hopes for every player in the world, Messi, Kaka, and Ronaldo, because they might break their leg in a freak salsa dancing accident?

3. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    No, you have reading difficulties.

Gibbs had a similar series of strong performances for a BL1 club, and yet it did not lead to superior performance over the next 2 years with that same BL club. His club slid from BL1 to BL2 to Regionaliga.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/vereine/spielersteckbrief/object/26553/saison/2002-03

He was ok, slightly good for BL2 St. Pauli in 02-03 season.

(btw, people seem to have forgotten Gibbs questionable stint with Dallas after St. Pauli. He wasn't very good that season. Gibbs did better again in Holland, but his problems have not all been due to injuries. When he's been healthy, he's been a good performer...with the occasional great game...but never outstanding consistently when healthy.)

the last part of your post is hyperbole, and makes no sense in this context.

If Bradley can continue this run of form the rest of the year, then he will have brought this entire argument to another (good) level. Let's hope he can. But to date, its only a run of 7 or so good games- and THAT'S been done before! :)

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I think people need to not get their feelings hurt so much. I'm as happy as the next guy about Bradley's performances but his point, which was fascinating to me, was that this had been done by an American before (though it was a different position) and that it didn't necessarily lead to a great career.

Here's to Bradley consistantly putting in great performances!!

5. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference here may be that Bradley was coming off a couple of good seasons at Heerenveen. Let's look at the ramp up:

2005 MLS Metrostars - 30 appearances, 1 goal.
    05-06 Heerenveen - 1 appearance
    06-07 Heerenveen - 21 appearances
    07-08 Heerenveen - 30 appearances, 16 goals (many think this might be a fluke)
    08-09 Moenchengladbach - 18 appearances, 5 goals (season still underway)

His play for the USMNT has been steadily improving as well, IMO. When he first started playing with them I thought he had a lot of energy but was prone to some youthful mistakes. Right now he's playing as well as anyone on the team.

Compare with Gibbs, who started with FC St Pauli (which is not historically a top flight side), where he started gangbusters, particularly as a pro rookie, with 25 appearances, but then sort of fell off the map due to relegation struggles. Still, he had 60 appearances and 3 goals, which is decent enough for a defender. He appeared in a lot of games for Dallas (21). He actually did okay with Feyenoord, January transfer but still saw the field 15 times and scored once. Unfortunately he hurt his knee and has struggled since. Net, Gibbs started with a lot of talent, made an impact, but stayed on a team in decline, then got hurt. His star seems to have been brightest in his first pro season. It happens.

They don't really seem on the same career trajectory.

6. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I think a lot of people are having trouble understanding what exactly your point is...

What does Gibbs have to do with Bradley besides the fact that they're both American?

7. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    That 7 games does not a star make...although I'd be the first to admit that I think Bradley has a good chance to really be a top flight player.

This point is pretty obvious, IMO

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am beginning to smell that supercooper could be SFS. Super's ability to side-track every thread seems familiar.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, it's duly noted that you've declared that if something good happens then that will will be good and, furthermore, if something bad happens then that will bad. And it's also noted that you've brought evidence to bear, to wit: when something bad happened to Corey Gibbs, it was bad.

Now keep the faux predictions out of the game day threads, please.

10. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

you have embarrassed yourself thoroughly, sir. time to get a new moniker.

11. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Torfabrik Ratings:

Michael Bradley: Once again, a "strong-as-a-bear" performance from the American. His running (runs?) is a class above the "hindrunde" (before the break). The "bulldozer" in Borussia's midfield is running on all cylinders. He warmed up with a few textbook tackles, and from there on out his fighting strength made the Köln players look like statues*. But Bradley's quality goes way beyond fighting and destroying. For one, he shone as the pivot with direct passed in the seams - e.g. to Alberman before the PK. For another, he repeatedly seeks and finds(!) the gaps himself, and gets himself all the way to the front in position - like at the 1:0. In this situation he also skillfully held his opponent at bay. He also takes responsibility as the PK taker as a matter of course. And that was even with an Oliver Neuville standing on the field. His one unlucky moment was at the first Köln goal, with his unlucky deflection of the ball. Grade: 2.0.

*actually the translation would be closer to "fiddlers standing still"

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firstly, I think some of you guys are being a bit harsh on supercooper. He isn't trolling or being excessively pessimistic.

His point is that a run of 7 good games isn't enough to annoint him, yet. He points to a string of quality games from Gibbs many years ago, yet Gibbs, even BEFORE is injury problems set in, never replicated that initial strong run.

I could likewise point to strong initial periods for Wynalda and Mathis in the Bundesliga that yielded nothing long-term in Europe. Or a short great run by Joe-Max Moore in England that lead to nothing.

However, there are signs that Bradley isn't just having a brief flurry. Shibb's prior post makes that point well. Bradley hasn't burst onto the scene, but rather has slowly built himself up to his strong run of games. He did so with 2 years as a reserve and sub at Heerenveen, before then rising to the occasion for a strong 3d season. Now with Gladbach, Bradley started slowly the first half of the season, but now has settled in and has grown into his strong efforts.

That's a different path than Gibbs, Wynalda, Mathis, and Moore. Bradley's pattern is more like Reyna, Cherundolo, and O'Brien. That's why there is reason for confident optimism.

But he'll have a poor run of games at some point, too. All pros will, especially 21 year olds. He's definitely in a real zone at the moment, and it's a joy to watch an athlete in such a zone, when every move he makes, every decision he takes (channeling the Police...) seems to be perfect.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone else remember how jri took up Gibbs' flag before most of us had ever heard of him? Wonder what he would make of Bradley's run of form?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We have come a fine, long way when we can slag Wynalda, Joe-Max Moore and Mathis' career as the "don't do what I do" fork in the road. (Not arguing the point, exactly, but if they are our poster-boys for washouts we're doing pretty well - Mathis being the obvious, sad exception.)

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Oh, great, now I'll be the guy who "hates" Wynalda, Mathis, and Moore... :p

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    See how that happens. Hater!

Seriously tho, who would have thought five years ago anyone would be worrying that Bradley would "only" have one of their careers...

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I've spent years puzzling out German and I still never get these idioms.

I kept wondering:
    "Did he play the Koln players like a violin or did he make them look like violinists"

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Joe-Max was a legend everywhere he played. The son of a friend of mine was invited to train/trial at Sheffield a couple of years ago. Every time he made a good play, the other players would yell out: Joe-Max!!

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Ole "Gimpy" Gibbs, do you remember the one...?

20. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    The legend of Ole Gibsy and O'Brien The John will never fade from our collective hearts.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you even begin to imagine how crazy-awesome our central midfield would be with Bradley and JOB v.2002? that would be crazy awesome

22. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive got no complaints, i want them both to have an "on" game simultaneously though i dont think we've seen it yet. Its either been one or the other. granted they dont have alot of experience with each other yet. If we can get Kljestan v Sweden and Bradley v Mexico fused together...will be crazy awesome. Its gotta happen eventually, hopefully its the confederations cup.

24. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    I am the expert here. Please defer to me.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having trouble differentiating this post from all the others on BigSoccer.

;)