Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Oops, it's ~45 minutes, not ~30.

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take a contrarian view, in that it is possible (50/50) he stays with Chelsea after this season.

Being objectively positive:

1. Boehly and Potter both value younger talent. CP is not old.
    2. Ziyech, Mount and Sterling could all be gone. Sterling is not getting any younger and perhaps (as others have said) Mount will be gone (there has been a little smoke in that direction). Ziyech in general has not been a happy camper.
    3. We don't know yet what will happen with Felix.
    4. They need 3 or 4 wingers for two positions - thinking one is typically not in full health and you want competition.
    5. CP is still quick and has excellent technical skills and he is still relatively young.

Being objectively negative:

1. CP is inconsistent.
    2. CP gets injured.
    3. This is a talent rich club.
    4. CP may not be physical or have a good enough shot for Chelsea - or any top club in the EPL for that matter.
    5. If they want to recoup any $ - they need to do it this summer.

I think on balance it is a 50/50 shot and for that reason whatever he does for the next 3 months will determine his future. I don't think they will park his ass on the bench to keep him healthy ... that will not help their selling strategy.

3. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I think if he was coming back then contract negotiations would have already started. Or maybe they started and we just don’t know - but I doubt it.
    He is gonna leave with his buddy Mount.
    Fans can act like he was a failure or a flop, but he really did contribute to them making the CL under Lampard, and them winning it under Tuchel - a trophy most clubs would die for.
    Spoiled fans like those from Chelsea will overlook that or pretend he played no role

RossD and theboogeyman repped this.
  4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, if anyone thinks it was difficult to find a deal for CP to leave Chelsea... wait until you see the market for Sterling! He turns 29 next season, just had his worst year since 2013, and is signed for over 4 years which will pay him a total of around 70 million pounds.

Sterling ain't going anywhere.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ah yes. Actually I always expect Dortmund to implode near the end, but even if they do, they should make it. Right?

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If no one else wants him enough, of course he can stay put.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Remember a Dutch winger from Chelsea that moved to Bayern. Were they impressed with Pulisic? Was anyone else? Coaches always think they can fix a few faults and to be fair there have been plenty of Chelsea retreads that became great after leaving there.

8. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    BVB will be playing in the CL next year. The question is whether Terzic will be coaching in the champions league or not.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Yeah, you can argue that Chelsea is a place where many good and promising attackers come and their careers took a nosedive.

Ziyech, Pulisic, Kai, Werner, Lukaku...and before them Salah, Debryune, etc. Might be a little for Mudryk, but I suspect he's not going to excel at CFC either.

Maybe it's not the players, but perhaps it's the club?

RossD and russ repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect you can find players from any number of large clubs that didn't hit while they were there but did at their next stop. But the new regime at Chelsea definitely has a problem... there is no sense of loyalty at all.... and the fans are just as bad. Mount was their golden boy just a year ago and now he is getting bashed after a tame run of form. This just in... it is terribly difficult to be a consistent offensive producer in the EPL. Even harder to do when you hit a dry spell and the owner immediately spends hundreds of millions on replacements.

mattjens, Winoman and smokarz repped this.
  11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This may be true, but Boehly is probably smart enough to not buy into sunk cost fallacy. Sterling's money is gone, and it may be easier to recoup some of that now rather than later.

I think CP is gone but I think it is his camp that moved on prior to Boehly etal taking over when they broke off negotiations for a renewal. Depending on how it goes the rest of the way will dictate what happens this summer. His camp pretty much holds all the cards now and the pre-transfer injury really tilted the field in the favor of CPs camp, since they now only have one season, and they can simply run out the contract, signing on a free anywhere post winter transfer window.

I think they have managed his career quite well to date balancing maximum revenue with high level exposure. He basically has two more contracts, and I don't look for them to drop the ball on either of them. I think it is next to impossible for any of us to have any clear ideas as to what might happen as his camp probably doesn't know just yet.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think he was referring to sunk costs. I think his point was that Sterling ain’t gonna take the cut in pay moving on would involve. And will CFC buy out his contract for £30 million or more???

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #63613 freisland, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Chelsea is still 10th. They'll likely catch Fulham, but Brighton and Brentford keep matching or beating them on points over a few games and both have played less than Chelsea... I think Chelsea have one or two more crap results in them this season. I still wonder how long Potter can hold on unless they really step it up, not matter what the owners say in public.

We all have to hope they do the business v Everton next week, but if they manage to tank to AV and 'Pool in a row... that's gonna leave a mark. (although Villa looked pretty weak today, they have Bournemouth next week, which should mean a point or three for them.) AV could jump them with the wrong results.

14. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    #63614 RecLeague Super Sub, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Based on recent reports, which obviously are not always accurate, Chelsea is going to clean house and may get rid of as many as 12 players - https://talksport.com/football/1359...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1678704465-1 - Ziyech, Chillwell, Mount, Aubamayeng, Pulisic, Kovacic, RLC, Broja, Gallagher, etc

Lots of good players on that list, and some of them (not all of them) are going to move on to other clubs and flourish.
    Let's hope Puli is one of those that achieves at his next destination.

EDIT: oh, and i forgot CHO. Surely they are getting rid of Hudson-Odoi? I have not watched, but word on the street is he is struggling/out of favor at Bayern Leverkeusen

Pegasus repped this.
  15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Whey would they want to move Chillwell?

They should have sold CHO when BM was interested, instead of giving him a new contract.

freisland repped this.
  16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Word is that if Chelsea misses out on the CL then he’d want out. Not unusual considering the shit show Chelsea is.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So Chillwell will not chill well? phony.

smokarz repped this.
  18. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todd must have an inexhaustible supply of funds .... I bet he did not bank at SIVB.

Half a billion bucks and they still want to clean house and bring in more.

How many great players will they be able to sign if they are not in the top 4 and/or don't win the CL ..... Many promising players may not want to come to that toxic fan base at Stamford Bridge.

RossD and RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  19. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    paks, dams, ChrisSSBB and 4 others repped this.
  20. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams ... it is still a beautiful world"

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just realized Desiderata is a pick-me-up for Chelsea fans after a game.

bct81 repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Pulisic and Chelsea have landed on the heavyweight side of the Champions League draw.

Real Madrid in the quarterfinal. Bayern or City in the semifinal. Then one of the 3 Italian clubs or Benfica in the final.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Boy, that's a lopsided bracket, at least as far as recent Champions League success goes. 4 of the last 6 finalists (3 of them winners) on one side, and 4 teams that have either never made a final or haven't made one in at least 13 years on the other side.

24. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised 2 Italian teams could play each other in the quarter finals but I guess its allowed. Would be exciting to see Napoli in the final though.