Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He will get a few months of very highly paid very light work, and time to organize his summer move. I suspect there will be plenty of suitors if his interest is maximizing his performance rather than maximizing his pay.

Dizi repped this.
  2. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Yeah definitely a bit disappointing, mostly due to injuries

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not to mention the price tag. I think, in the words of Chelsea fans, "A good squad player" would have been appropriate, until you add the expectations with the #10 as you pointed out + the massive transfer fee, hard to say he was not a "flop". I like CP a lot and consider him a Dortmunder and I've liked Chelsea since Ballack was there but they might just not be the best for one another.

4. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is sooo funny to me is how as each week goes by where he is injured (and training and recovering) his Big Soccer stock just keeps dropping. Kind of like the analogy of shorting a stock with constant negative publicity all the way up to earnings report and you find out the earnings were not so bad and were even slightly improving. He is still a young player, very talented, and is paid quite well (hopefully saving most of it) at CFC. Given his track record and character - my bet is he will get back on the pitch and will contribute when healthy. He has quality to his game and that cannot be denied. There is nothing that can be done about defenders that hack him down as the defensive approach. To some degree that is the manly game and English refs. I still believe his best chance at game longevity is to seriously put on some muscle mass from his core down.

Dizi, adam tash and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His price tag or "massive" transfer fee was because CFC absolutely needed to sign a quality player knowing they were going on a ban for a bit, and they knew Eden was not going to resign. CP was done at BVB and they were never going to get him to sign another contract. So they took advantage of Chelsea's need and Roman's deep pockets.

As it has worked out, it was still a tidy piece of business for both teams. He was pivotal in getting them into the CL they eventually won. That is not nothing, and it isn't like you can just pick up a player capable of that anytime you want one. He is at worst a squad player for a CL level team. He was on a good run of fitness and I think this collision injury is a bit different than his previous muscular issues.

mace, Dizi, gomichigan24 and 7 others repped this.
  6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ziyech to PSG so that is one less attacker. Unrelated to CP, but Jorginho to Arsenal.

gomichigan24 and abw repped this.
  7. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I am surprised by the Jorginho to Arsenal deal, but hey, that is very lucky for him.
    Jorgi has a CL trophy, and will soon have a PL title thanks to this transfer.

CP needs to get healthy fast so he can try to get some minutes, although I do not see him getting many. Those minutes will hopefully lead to him having transfer options this summer.

8. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    #62958 abw, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    With the Jorginho transfer, they're betting the farm on Enzo. Either they know something or they're going to learn something.

Their transfer strategies still seem chaotic at times. Supposedly they've spent more in this window than all the Bundesliga and Serie A teams put together. But the additions have made Potter's selection problems up front harder, not easier.

Maybe it's a case of too many cooks, too much cash.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lololol
    at the people who think a healthy CP won't play for chelsea again....what are you people smoking???

10. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Where did I say he will NEVER play for Chelsea again? Although I have posted on here doubts that he will get very many minutes, and I stand by that. We'll see, I guess.

11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    It’s not that crazy is it? They’re currently 9th? Building for years to come. Mudryk is starting. Sterling when healthy is starting. Then it depends how much they want to play the young guys they just acquired and build long term value there vs pulisic who it seems they likely want to move eventually.

Dizi and RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree 100% with your post. I get why CP, Chelsea and BVB did the deal. That said, you'd expect an investment like that to go beyond the first season and a European trophy that came along with it.

13. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Mudryk has yet to start a game for Chelsea?

He has only played as a substitute for 30 minutes or so. He looked okay but I don't think he's locked to start yet. There's a lot of hype but not much evidence so far.

gomichigan24 and adam tash repped this.
  14. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    How much did they spend on him? He’s likely going to be starting games

15. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    This month Potter said Pulisic was never going to leave in this window - even before the injury. I have seen hints that he's progressing towards fitness faster than expected.

I think that we underrate Pulisic's value to this team because we overrate the random views of Chelsea "supporters" on social media and the various forums.

zanderbz, gomichigan24 and adam tash repped this.
  16. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    It's hard to estimate how much they spent because of the structure of the deal. It is spread out over many years due to FFP, so the upfront cost is quite low. His salary cost is also quite low, from what I have read.

This is why UEFA is "reforming" the rules regarding contract length after this window.

twoolley repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I guess this is a double edge sword in a way.

With all these young talents that Chelsea are bringing in, it'd be fantastic if Pulisic can integrate himself into this core group. I am sure it would only help elevate his production and growth.

But at the same time, more talents mean more competition and maybe less playing time. But we should always welcome good competition, it makes you stronger and better.

abw repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all the new players have to actually perform.....very very few players seem to just jump into the EPL and shine

very highly doubt the new signings by chelsea are so good that they keep pulisic out of the team

Moishe repped this.
  19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Agreed. But they do look like promising young talents.

20. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    An interesting aspect of this window is how much is being spent on players - especially by Chelsea. Arsenal is paying £12 million for Jorginho, who only has 6 months left on his contract, and it's unlikely he's a first choice player there?

Depending on how they structure the contract, and given Pulisic's willingness to commit to the project, it might be quite reasonable for Chelsea to extend his contract. Plus apparently he bought property in London last summer.

21. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Boehly needs to learn how to make payments under the table like everyone else. How dare he try to spread this out legally, it just makes everyone look bad putting it out there in plain sight.

abw repped this.
  22. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Where are you seeing that it isn’t much up front?
    Everything I’ve read says ~€70M up front.

His salary is low relative to others on the team though.

23. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Stories out now that they're using a factoring company to manage the Enzo payments. Financial engineering is real.

24. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the FFP hit due to the length of the contract.

twoolley repped this.
  25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This Enzo saga is insane drama.

abw repped this.