Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Are you suggesting that I believe that is a bad thing? If you interpret any specific criticism of him as “he is a bad person,” that’s your problem. I didn’t say that,

2. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    As a middle ground, clearly his dad was a good agent til now. He’s helped him develop a great career path.

maybe it would be sensible to make a change now that he’s moved into the position he has.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We've all seen a lot of "family advisors" impede, or at least appear to impede, a player's trajectory - or tax accounting in certain cases. But seeing how the Pulisic clan works (aside from siblings sleeping with McKennie, of course, which is just ewww, really) I'm going to wager they are getting very top-level professional advice from high-level sport-agent and brand-manager types, even if Dad is the face of the team. It's very hard to make a case, in professional opportunity and financial terms, that CP has been mismanaged.

Perhaps you could argue in sporting terms he is not in the best place to best utilize his talents, but other than playing time or a league title, there's little to criticize in an object analysis of CP's career to date... esp. given his age.

4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I don’t disagree

freisland repped this.
  5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    which is the charitable interpretation of my post, and in fact what I was saying.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    tis the season.

(tho, tbf, you mentioned some other issues, like rumors and hoping he seeks professional "metric" advice. I'm not sure there are outsized rumors around CP given his stature/playing time, and I really can't imagine Team Pulisc aren't buying/working with someone who understands the best footie business data at the moment. He's a big business and seems relatively successfully run. But, like any business, there is almost always room at the margins to squeeze. Will be interesting to see what CP and friends decide to do.)

7. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016

he grew up in Hershey, Pennsylvania. He can handle Newcastle.

Moishe and FC Tallavana repped this.
  8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    As someone who has lived in Newcastle I can confirm it’s not hell. I like visiting London but I’d much prefer to live in Newcastle. People are friendly, there’s room to breathe, etc. From the sporting side of things, Newcastle has a better team and is more likely to play in the CL next year. And defenses will not be pleased to have Pulisic and Almiron on opposite flanks.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can to a degree +1 this post. During all my road-trips through Scotland, Newcastle was always are jump off point.

Nice town and very hospitable fans. Very loyal to their players and the kind to eat their own when struggling. Second favorite city in the UK behind Edinburgh…with Inverness close behind.

10. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I was about to say. I’ve been to Newcastle and it is not bad at all. A lot of people commenting on Newcastle life, and I bet many of them have never stepped foot there.
    Yes, London is great, especially if you’re rich. But I doubt it matters to CP too much if he continues to ride the bench under Potter. He’s not dumb, and knows he needs to play and get minutes in his prime. If he does not get that in London, he’ll go to the best suitor

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Besides, it's but a short ferry trip with friendly, well-behaved fans to the cosmopolitan hub that is Amsterdam...

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shame. I just realized it. And I was getting all happy about the possibility of Puli having that tech around just in case.

16. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need it more than he does.

laxcoach and Moishe repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Where is Old Castle?

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not so much to help him get used to it. Dad actually got a "job" with BVB until CP turned eighteen to make it compliant with FIFA/UEFA rules concerning minors.

19. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Newcastle seems like a a pretty good fit - it looks like they'll need to bolster their attacking talent and overall depth to do anything in the CL if they hold onto that spot, and they have two attackers in their 30s.

One of Pulisic's former Dortmund teammates, Alexander Isak, is there (currently injured).

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sure, but the real attraction is Eddie Howe. He's an exceptional coach and if he wants CP, it means that the lad will get starts in an attack-oriented side. It's all upside all the way. Stuff about Newcastle being some kind of dump is just that: stuff. He'll be earning several millions a year to play ball in an environment where, if he's anyway good, he'll be a demi god living in a countryside/exurban mansion in an exceptionally beautiful part of the world.

In those conditions, getting depressed will take work

Moishe repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fun fact of the day: Newcastle's last game of the season is against Chelsea.

A January transfer and, if all goes according to plan, Puli would have a chance to deny Chelski a Champions spot on the last day.

Best served cold.

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You really think they will still be in the running for the top 4 on the final day?

23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Scots/Picts burned it down. That's why they had to build a new one.

Monarch Bay Beachbum and freisland repped this.
  24. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    I think Chelsea will try hard to send CP packing anywhere else but Newcastle because they could occupy a Champions League spot and potentially keep them out of European Football next year.

Selling him to Arsenal, from a Chelsea perspective, makes more sense because Arsenal is so far ahead that they're already a lock to take a CL spot.

I suspect the Bayern swap rumors were must likely leaked by Chelsea since sending him out of the PL would be preferable instead of Newcastle.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    London is cool and cosmopolitan and all but there is not a damn thing wrong with living in Newcastle. When you are a millionaire just about every major city in the UK is a good place to be. Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds/Bradford and Birmingham aren’t exactly backwaters. Newcastle, in fact the whole north of England has been a traditional hotbed for football in the UK. For many years the best players came out of the north. The fans are incredibly passionate. Sunderland can still draw 40k crowds playing in 3rd tier, now that’s a fan base. Newcastle not being considered one of the top teams is only a relatively recent thing, the Ashley era left a stench.

majspike, The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.