Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Before this season, not starting on a regular basis was the issue. His playing time has been reduced even more this season, which highlights his playing situation in a fiercely competitive environment, but the issue remains the same for him: not being a regular starter. He knew the score when he took the chance and signed the contract four years ago. Things will probably not be very different at any other of the "top" clubs.

2. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t think Newcastle should be in that group. I think he could excel there, even if as part of a fairly equal 3 man rotation for 2 wing spots. That would be different from his position at the other clubs. He might even increase his PT at Arsenal too.

4. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    At Newcastle, he could indeed be part of an equal rotation for the attacking positions....

Although Almiron has now cemented his spot as a regular on the right wing, it only happened very recently..so I wouldn't say he's head and shoulder better than Pulisic...Albeit Almiron has huge work rate in compare to Pulisic.

The other guy on the left is maximun but he's injury prone and beside dribbling a lot, I'm not that impress..

Pulisic can also be an option as a #10...If he can get stronger on the ball and learn when to get the ball off his feet quicker when it's required.

gomichigan24 and Method repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We're lucky the Winter Silly Season is only 2 months long.

Winoman repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually slots very well into the salary structure at Juventus as they have a surprising amount of guys making a ton of money. I just don’t think he should go there given the mess the club seems to be (and McKennie should get out ASAP too).

Even at Inter there’s a number of other players who would make more than. AC Milan though he’d definitely be their highest paid player (which appears to actually be Dest at current).

Teams may be willing to take his salary for half the season at least if they think he’s worth what he brings to the team. He makes about $9 million a year, so it’s not that crazy for a club to make a $4.5 million outlay on his salary for half the season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a big difference between saying somewhere like Manchester United is a lateral move versus the idea he should look at the Championship.

Pulisic is a very good player and there are lots of high level top 5 clubs where he’d play regularly. We’ll see what his options are in January but he’s not going to the Championship or a lower tier league.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle seems like the best move for playing time.

Man U he’d still have to compete with Sancho and Rashford (though I expect Rashford will play some more 9 now).

Liverpool is interesting because they seem like they generally need to shake things up and Klopp has always been a fan of Pulisic.

I don’t think he’d play 90 minutes each week at Arsenal, but I do think he’d play more than he does at Chelsea.

9. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Could be playing hard to get.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Depending on the offer he gets this January, he should go.

I suspect Chelsea really do not want to sell him to a CL contender, so they probably promised him a run in the squad after the World Cup just to keep him from boosting the chance of a Champions League spot contender.

At the same time, Chelsea has already done a deal to bring in nkunku this summer and still plan on going after Leaos too.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If true, I am glad he realizes an extension would be terrible for him.

MayaDempsey and Winoman repped this.
  13. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    big news from the lad:

[​IMG]

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    A little tangential, but - note that Hakim Ziyech, Julian Alvarez and Harry Maguire have all made significant contributions to their teams' winning their World Cup groups. All of them also have fewer EPL minutes than Pulisic this season.

The point being - the wealthiest EPL teams have the capacity to stockpile a large amount of top-level talent. And they will make full use of that capacity, to hedge against injuries while trying to succeed in four competitions at once. So, while a player like Pulisic (or Ziyech, or Alvarez, or Maguire) will be very dissatisfied if they don't secure a regular starting club role, failure to do so is not necessarily a sign that they've failed to develop or perform at a high level; nor is it necessarily a major concern for their national team efforts.

15. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    I think the other angle here is -- the tactical demands of big-time clubs can be so specific that not being a starter doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on the player.

mattjens and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which has what to do with Puli at Chelsea?

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  18. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Back to Chelsea for Pulisic...I had hoped he would be able to extend his stay in the World Cup while staying away from the club..lol

Hopefully he can get a proper run in the squad once play restart...If not, he need to push for a move out.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  19. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    As if. :rolleyes:

mattjens repped this.
  20. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omg, in the Men in Blazers podcast post Netherlands, they took audience Qs and someone asked who should be the next US manager and I think the person asking pondered if Tuchel would be a good choice! Ron and Dave remarked about how Pulisic would feel about that!!!

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Lol..that gotta be a joke..
    I did see a report about Tuchel willing to put his name up for the England National team once the current guy is gone.

Almost sure Tuchel would consider the USA job but I doubt they'd offer him the job considering he's part of the reason Pulisic development has stalled the past 2 years.

My guess is they offer the job to Jesse Marsch..

22. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why I can’t edit my own post, so I’m quoting myself to fix the names above: Rog and Davo, not Ron and Dave! Damn autocorrect!

Winoman repped this.