Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Most technical player we've ever produced, but I don't think he's the guy to carry a team.

FormerGermanGuy repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The stats make a stronger case for Pulisic, Lukaku, and Mount I think. In league play, those guys stand out. In all competitions, Havertz, Ziyech, and Werner begin to look a little better. But if I had a big game to play, and I was married to the notion of having three up top, Pulisic, Lukaku, and Mount would be my three.

3. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Amazing how people flip on Lukaku so fast. Most people on the Shed End are totally cool with him now. He had 3 goals in his first 3 EPL games and has had 3 in his last 2. In the twenty in the middle, he had exactly 2. None are against the top teams in the league (except for Arsenal, if you consider them to be a "top" team). He has 3 goals against minnows in the FA Cup, 2 goals against Zenith, and 2 in the Club World Cup, which was kind of the highlight. To me, he hasn't proven a lot.

In games against the teams currently in the top 7 in the standings, he has one goal--against Arsenal on opening day.

I also didn't like how he was clearly trying to pad his stats yesterday rather than pass the ball to the better option. He scowls when he doesn't get the ball, but too often doesn't pass it himself.

To me, they are making a huge mistake if they start him vs. Liverpool. He hasn't shown any propensity to excel against a team like that this season. Or close, to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong and he's coming out of a slump and is going to be a big threat. Tuchel has a better idea of that than we do because he can see how the guy is doing in practice.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    The shed end is a what have you done for me lately type fan forum for everyone but England players. That’s okay. This site is dedicated to American players and our biasm is prevalent.

On the subject of what have you done for me lately, Pulisic is back on the favored rostered of many. He does do well and seems to have more space versus Liverpool. Liverpool are an attacking team which opens up a lot of possibilities. If I were Tuchel, I would throw Mount in the midfield. Have Havertz and Lokaku up front with Pulisic behind them in that traditional 10 role.

5. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    I agree that the bigger question is in midfield for Tuchel. Havertz gives them more fluidity up top. If Kante is healthy enough to start, I would not be shocked to see a Mount+Kante midfield. Jorgihno can't live with the pace and pressing of Liverpool, and Kovacic's absence will hurt them. If no Mount in MF, perhaps we see Reece James in central midfield? He was not available to start the League Cup final. The default option is Loftus Cheek, who has played well recently but lacks the passing range and vision of Jorginho or Mount. Interestingly, Tuchel does have a number of options, and the players are extremely comfortable with the system.

The sad part is that Chelsea played straight up against Liverpool in the League Cup final, with Kova and Kante in midfield, and played extremely well overall that day. What a match that was to watch!. (Starting lineup from that match attached for reference).

Attached Files:

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am one of those who thinks that Lukaku is MUCH better than he has been able to show in the TT system.

freisland, majspike and RunthePoint repped this.
  7. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    I think most people feel that way about attackers in tuchel’s system.

the 5-2-2-1 he often ends up playing has been successful - but for a club of Chelsea’s ilk… limping to a third placed finish isn’t the best look. If they win the cup on the weekend then perhaps it looks better overall. I dunno. I personally would like to see a club with their firepower scoring more.
    They have a lot of questions to answer in the transfer window to get the defense sorted. They would be wise to put their money to use on that end and try to keep the attack they have now. Just feels like 4 of the 6 on the pitch would be of better use than having 3 out there nearly every match

russ repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

mace, CyphaPSU, bct81 and 5 others repped this.
  9. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

Attached Files:

10. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    The team and its fans have higher aspirations, but it's worth keeping in mind that being #3 in England these days might make you the fourth or fifth best club in the world. I suspect that a team of Chelsea's strength would currently be contending for the title in Germany and Spain, and would be winning the title in Serie A.

When you consider the strength of their league along with the sheer number of competitions that Chelsea has tried to be competitive in, I think their current performance looks pretty good.

superdave, stanger, gjackson2207 and 6 others repped this.
  11. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that goal was a great reason why training ground routine and pace and finishing drills are so important. Nice finishing by him. Had one and only one best place to put that shot and he placed it properly within a few cm. Clinical.

12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea’s Christian Pulisic: ‘I want to be on the pitch. I enjoy this club a lot’ | The Guardian

13. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id

Little throw back to the Cup game from earlier this year. Mount, Pulisic, and Havertz playing havoc on the Liverpool defense but couldn’t finish. Still was fun to watch Pulisic with all that space.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a bummer he wasn't able to finish the other chance he had at the top of the box. That was an easier shot to make... He had more space and was on his dominant foot. Beggars can't be choosers and all.... but I am sure CP will be banging that ball into the net all week in practice.

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over his career he has been more effective on the left. He isn't a good enough passer to play in the middle and doesn't have a great cross to justify playing him on the right. On the left he can cut inside which is among his most effective moves.

17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah true. In current set up though he’s been best floating from left into center typically off the ball vs earlier in his career IMO.

Edit: he’s best when starting position nominally is generally speaking left wing/left forward.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why defenders always look to block that move first. I think his recent work on his left foot is his counter-move

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's playing baseball now?

on a more serious note: You have to play to Lukaku's strengths if you want him to do well for you. If you try to fit him into your system, it's not likely to work too well.

Ziyech is a very good attacking player as well. But a team as busy as Chelski needs 5 or so top attackers in the rotation.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku has like 100 prem goals. Tuchel shouldn't have benched and kept playing him.

21. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attitude and drama definitely played a role.

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He will go elsewhere and return to form. I think he is a smarter, more level-headed person than some think. He gave an interview that came back to bite him mi this later. The things he said hardly constituted “drama.” But in EPL world, they were apostasy. So it is what it is. He is at least as good at his job as TT 8s at his, IMO.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's official!

Pulisic starts today's biggest game - the FA Cup Final v Liverpool @ Wembley.​

[​IMG]

24. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    With Havertz out of the squad today, it’s an unsurprising front 3. Pretty shocking and crucial for Chelsea that Kovacic is apparently fit to start.

25. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go, Puli tends to play well against Liverpool.

I didn't realize that Havertz was injured.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.