Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    #52826 golazo68, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    It doesn’t hold up mentioning Chelsea's ages in key positions when you look at Liverpool and even some extent Man City (De Bruyne, etc)

29-30-30 starts to show (sometimes) some bare thread, but is by no means 'old'

Liverpool has a bigger squad?

We've seen coaches at both high levels (Mourinho) and mediocre levels (too many too name) when they are unable to revolutionize their approach. It gets ugly quick....they lose their squad and they get canned.

Tuchel still has time on the clock here, but he's got change his mindset completely about this team, because they are playing well below their level at present.

2. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Well, I look dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.. I guess I did not focus as much on the formation as I should have.
    I was watching off and on, and when I did, I focused on how Chelsea was making BHA look like mid-2000s Barcelona during large spurts of the match.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City has a better squad than Liverpool, who has a better squad than Chelsea. It is unsurprising that they are now sitting #1, #2, and #3 in the table. That is simply the expected outcome. Liverpool and Man City have some of the same issues as far as age, but they have better squads, so the impact is less. A 37 year old central defender (Silva) is a freak of nature, but his sell-by-date will come after the next big injury. Azpilicueta will move in the summer.. Something is off with the squad, as even Kante had a bad game today. It will get fixed, but Chelsea have no chance to win the league. You have to give big credit to Tuchel for last year's CL win, and you have to believe he will turn things around at Chelsea.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Why the optimism that he will turn around his own mess? I could understand the thought process behind him being able to turn around someone else's mess. But his own? Nah. He just doesn't give off the impression that is something he can be relied upon to do.

5. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright side - he is not injured - he was not a part of today’s showing. Tying against B & H with this roster is simply unacceptable.

ShortyMac, zanderbz, Method and 4 others repped this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    TT had yet to show me he's capable of changing.

7. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    To be fair to you, Chelsea was very poor today regardless of formation.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I agree 100%. This isnt a super-healthy environment

lmorin and RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea finished 4th last season, and now they are 3rd. They are not as good as Liverpool nor Manchester City, and they weren't last season. But in a series of Cup matches (CL), they found a way to win. Nothing has changed, except they sold Abraham, Zouma, and Giroud and bought Lukaku and Niguez. COVID and injuries have disrupted things, and Lukaku makes Chelsea play a different way.

10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    #52835 golazo68, Jan 18, 2022
    But what was the table when he joined last year?

Chelsea were around 9th or 10th.

You need to just total Tuchel’s record in Prem since he joined last year- they were the 2nd place team or challenging it (just looking at last year Prem results with Tuchel as coach).

So they have regressed from his Prem performance of last year.

They were top of table 2 months into this season.

They have regressed materially since then

So I at least partially dispute the characterization they have been 3rd or 4th the entire time.

Last year was seen as the season Werner, Ziyech and Havetz were adjusting to the Prem. Better output was expected from that trio this year. They seem to have regressed.

As much as anything, Chelsea play pretty joyless football and the players almost look a little like they have chucked it in on Tuchel.

The longer this continues, the more legitimate the questioning of Tuchel.

And on paper, I don't see how there is a big gap between Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Chelsea is deeper than Liverpool and maybe the starting positions are split between them (I think Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho are better than Liverpool's midfield, Azpi or Silva would likely start for Liverpool (depending on formation). Lukaku of LAST year is a world class striker although he doesn't fit their style. Chelsea definitely have a deeper, more talented bench.

I think if Sane or Salah played on this Chelsea team...they would be less (and maybe far less) effective because of Tuchel's style.

Man City- their results are better than the sum of the parts. Chelsea results are worse than sum of parts.

You did make a good point about the Cup run. Tuchel def. deserves credit for that. But I think we will find that winning Cups can have a lot of luck behind them and the real coaching test is consistent excellent in the league.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Cup tournaments is a whole different beast. All you need is get lucky 3 or 4 times and you might yourself in the final.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  12. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes! This team is running on fumes and Ziyech and Lukaku are not looking too happy out there.

It's been tough with covid/injuries/schedule congestion but I thought the Chelsea attack would improve this year but they seem to have regressed. With or without Pulisic there is almost no chemistry in the attacking third.

In terms of playing time for Pulisic, outside of one decent Ziyech shot, none of the starting attackers looked good today. Even against tired legs Werner's pace couldn't do anything and Havertz wasn't an improvement over a tired Lukaku in limited minutes.

Still worried we'll see Pulisic at RWB again since Azpi is going to need a rest at some point.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A very good game to miss. Did I speak too soon saying no way Spurs could catch Chelski for 3rd... (Nah, but it's funny to suggest it.) The team needs to win a few games or Pool will be out of reach soon too.

League is for sure gone, barring something truly out of this world.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am happy CP can't take any of the blame for this debacle. What a joke. Should have been a Chelsea loss.... 9 out of 10 keepers make that save on Ziyech's shot. NO way that should have found the back of the net. Chelsea's offense is so friggin boring to watch.

15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    #52840 golazo68, Jan 18, 2022
    I have a simple solution for Tuchel.

You are way more talented than the bottom 14-15 clubs.

(I'm not saying you throw all discipline out the window but):

UNLEASH THE FREAKING' HOUNDS, DUDE!!

Let your guys play with a lot more freedom and have fun on offense and just go with the consequences.

It is no longer the era of 2 points for a win.

There is a premium on wins- dear Thomas!

(Over 10 games) 4 wins- 5 ties and a loss = 17 points.......
    (Over 10 games) 6 wins and 4 losses = 18 points! ***

** SUPERIOR!

You allow your creative, talented players to enjoy on the pitch....then when you play a top 5-6 team....yes, you can go back to playing more conservative (current style)

But guess what!

If you allow Chelsea's players to play with a lot of freedom for most games, that will carry over when you play the top 5-6 ALSO. Your players will feel confident within whatever system at that point. You let them scratch their itch.

Also as a potential strategic option- you could start with the 'wide open strategy for the first 30-40 minutes, but then switch back to Tuchel bore ball for rest of game. Or vice-versa.

As it is, Thomas, everyone (top teams, middle teams, bottom teams) sees your defensive-minded chu-chu coming from a long distance now...... and it is predictable and staid and you have no opportunity to open of the games, when necessary (which for you- means trying starting in the 80th minute.....)

Because your team gets so little gametime practice playing a wide open style, it is too much to expect goals in the 10-15 minute window at the end of games.

(somewhat jokingly) Bring in Harry Redknapp. Let him coach Chelsea against the bottom 14-15....you can coach games again the top 4-5 but let 'arry whisper sweet nothings in your ear about the 'letting the dogs out' sometimes again them as well.

Chelsea does this, and I think you will see not only better results, a happy squad and a squad that even executes Tuchel's conservative game day strategies well.

16. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    There's a small chance CP may outlast Tuchel afterall...but if Tuchel returns next year, I think CP will be looking for a new home...Of course things could change if he catches good forms.

But right now, it's time for him to play a formation with more attackers and let these players play..Everyone is afraid to make a mistake right now, thus taking the easiest pass available which is too often pass backward and sideways...no one being courageous to move the ball forward.

zanderbz and RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I think you probably wanted to quote my more inflammatory post, so assuming that is the case:

I dislike Chelsea as a club, I dislike Tuchel for how he has used CP. I'm simply a USMNT fan who wants to see USMNT play as much as possible, and Tuchel is standing in the way of that. So once again, Fudge Tuchel.

Chelsea have a history of keeping a very tight trigger finger on manager comings and goings. I can't see Roman having a lot of patience for Tuchel regardless of what he's won in the past. He seems a very "what have you done for me in the past 2 months" kind of owner.

Method repped this.
  18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I have to say how much I enjoyed watching Brighton play last night. Their two wide players, Lamptey and Cucurella were so much fun to watch. When they then brought Maupay and Trossard on in the ~60th, they were the dominant team. They really should have taken all three points. I got a little nervous that Chelsea would hit them on the break near the end of the game, but then saw that for some reason they kept trying to go through Werner, and the attack ground to an immediate halt.

A couple years back I spoke about Brighton and Hove Albion pretty dismissively, prior to them coming up to the EPL and knowing about them only through my experience in a soccer management game I played in my youth. But I'm impressed as hell with their players, the manager and the stadium. AmEx is a pretty posh sponsor as well, so I'm not alone.

The defending against Lukaku was impeccable. Burn just smothered him.

If I was looking at that game trying to pick out which team won the Champs League last year, it would be a tough one to pick. Either Chelsea is being mismanaged or their players just can't be bothered to try. All teams are tired right now and are on fumes for a lot of reasons, including Brighton. Tuchel really just can't blame fatigue for how his team were outplayed for a lot of that match.

Edited:

The only smudge on Brighton last night was that when they brought in Solly March to play wide right, I thought he killed a few of the chances on the attack with his lack of pace/quickness. I think they need an upgrade there.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52844 MarioKempes, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    I did not make that characterization. Chelsea started great and has been on a poor run of form. I don't dispute that. However, Chelsea is in third place NOW, which is where you would expect them, and they are in the CL Round of 16. Tuchel is meeting expectations. Should they drift further down, then they and he would be below expectations. I still believe they will finish 3rd, where they belong. They drew Lille in the Champions League Round of 16, so they are a good bet to reach the quarterfinals. The quarterfinals draw will be held on 18 March 2022. It is likely they will face one of Real Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Juventus, or PSG. It is this quarterfinal matchup where Tuchel will get his first major test this season. IMHO, their best chances would be against Liverpool, Inter Milan, or Juventus. We shall see. I see Real Madrid winning the CL, but City, Liverpool, or PSG can all win. And don't count Chelsea out just yet!

WE ALL FOLLOW THE CHELSEA
    Even to Leicester...
    We all follow the Chelsea,
    Over land and sea (and Leicester!)
    We all follow the Chelsea,
    On to victory.
    (Altogether now!)

Repeat

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i will say it to anyone who listens but can you even believe how joyless this attack is? incredible to have spent this much money on this many players all of whom have flourished elsewhere to get...this. tuchel is running out of road

ttrevett repped this.
  21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your last paragraph is 100% correct. Your second paragraph, well, I prefer the way that Guardiola and Ancelotti play. I don't like Tuchel ball, but it works. I do think Pulisic has been treated fairly, but, of course, it would be great if he had a more starring role. Tuchel is managing his minutes carefully, which is important because the fast-twitch muscles that allow him to glide past defenders are also prone to tearing. Frankly, Pulisic gets hurt more often than others mostly because he plays hard every single minute and is fearless.

Tuchel is an excellent manager, perhaps the best in Europe, and he has been good for Christian. Tuchel is very smart and I think very fair with the players. He seems like a nice, decent guy. In contrast, Abramovich is a ruthless businessman who only cares about the bottom line. Tuchel is intelligent and methodical, and I have little doubt that he will get the most out of the Chelsea players this season. It is still early to make final judgments.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    tuchel cant last 2 years at a job and you say he is the best manager perhaps in europe? if you switched managers would city still have this lead in the table?

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tuchel's plans went out of the window when his two main fullbacks got long-term injuries. He got unlucky, and with a 50% Kanté and a flopping Werner, he found himself with no Plan B.

DCU1984 repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    managerial genius cant adjust to two injuries

smokarz and HScoach13 repped this.
  25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of 3rd match in 7 days plus last 2 matches in 3 days. Brighton had 2 matches in 7 days and 1 extra day of rest before this one. Team looks tired but why he waited so long to sub is another question. Maybe he was waiting to make sure Azpi and Alonso would last and didn’t have to sub for them.

Just looked and Chelsea is only team in Prem to have played 23 matches. Brighton has played 21 and Spurs 18? How does that happen?
    Add onto that cup matches, injuries, covid and I can see how this team is tired.

Winoman repped this.