Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He seemed really uncertain about which runs to make. Looked like he instinctively wanted to be outside where CHO was.

2. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, and I didn't notice Hudson-Odoi doing anything much in that spot. Too many cooks?

dspence2311 repped this.
  3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That Moyes guy is a fair coach eh? They are playing really good right now.

I don't think this post is really accurate in terms of spots for players. Minutes are very competitive true enough, but Ziyech can play a bit deeper and more in the MF role, Kai can play the 9, Mount can play in the midfield some CHO can play some WB, CP can play some WB, and TT likes to tinker.

He wasn't special today, but he didn't do anything bad either. Failed to make an impact is about right to me.

CFC and Jorginho are reverting to the mean, add in the Chillwell and Kova injury, and other teams are beginning to suss out how to exploit there movements and set-up, Tinkering Tommy needs to get something sorted that doesn't depend on Mr. Alonso doing much of anything..

zanderbz repped this.
  4. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    He didn't do anything bad and he wasn't special....this is his 3rd year at Chelsea, right? Is he getting better? Getting worse? Going nowhere?

5. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chelsea was explicitly mentioned before, so when they say Chiesa is going to the EPL, Calciomercato means Chelsea:

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/...l-offerta-monstre-e-il-no-della-juve-il-58394

https://www.calciomercato.it/2021/11/30/calciomercato-juventus-chiesa-chelsea-allegri-tuchel/

It's a rumor with legs, picked up by big outlets in Europe:

https://www.juventusnews24.com/juve-chiesa-calciomercato-chelsea-ultime-inghilterra-offerta/

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ch...s-tuchel-cfc-juventus-transfers-signings-bids

https://www.football.london/chelsea...lsea-federico-chiesa-transfer-werner-22339721

7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know that I can judge that on the basis of just a couple of outings. I prefer to take a big picture view and in the big picture he is getting minutes at a team that is fighting for titles as best in the PL and best in the world. He has had some availability issues that have presented the biggest impediment to the greatness we have seen fleeting glimpses of throughout his journey to the top of world football.

His last start, his touch looked a bit off and he still managed to create a bit of danger, just lacking that little bit of extra at the final moment. His confidence appears a bit shaken to me, but if I were to lay a wager, I would bet he gets it sorted.

I think he has a tendency to "press" some and try to force the issue when he is a bit off and he just needs to make the "smart" play and let the opportunities present themselves. CFC are good enough he doesn't need to resort to his hero ball tendencies.

I stated before I don't think he is pulling up tress or anything, but I don't think he is in danger of disappearing or being dropped completely. As long as he can find a way to get on the pitch, his next touch presents the opportunity for him to change the conversation.

I might feel differently if after Dec he hasn't put in any notable performances, but for now I think he just needs to keep getting minutes and doing what Tommy boy asks, even if that is playing WB.

zanderbz and stanger repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's not just production.

While Puli can have fantastic plays, most of the time he seems to be playing in a different game.

9. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody else recent lack of bang bang one touch combo play from Chelsea?

my lessons from today:

1. Mount is coming back nicely.
    2. defense and keeper laid an egg.
    3. CP looks like he was disjointed from the rest of the team ... is that being in wrong position, Odoi just bypassing him or Tuchel's direction ... who knows.
    4. Lukaku is a beast but Tuchel is not using him that way.
    5. Rudiger is entertaining ... kind of like watching a rampaging moose plow right through a bunch of deer.

10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yes, #4 seems right. Lukaku can do great things for an offense (not just for himself). I sometime think these defensive gurus don't see (or undervalue) those things.

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    When he is playing as a forward, I have to disagree there. He plays the link play most the time fine, but in a very orthodox manner. He would be better served to be more unorthodox, more productive and less 'linky' in his play, and ok lose the ball a couple times. That's the price you pay as a forward for ingenuity. His 'fantastic plays' needs to lead to production more often.

The wingback thing is an experiment and not his real position. It may or may not work but he is still learning the position

12. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I don't think you really read my post. It was based on Lukaku spending a lot
    of time starting.

of course, if/when he doesn't...now it is 5 guys for 2 spots.

Mount, Ziyech and CHO are going to almost always be considered for the 2 remaining forward spot. 5 guys for 2 spots is a lot of competition still. 6
    for 2 spots is pretty ridiculous and we realize why Tuchel is testing
    out Pulisic at wingback, since the alternative it to sit next to Werner
    on bench more often.

This coming week may turn out well for CP: There is a decent chance he starts at forward against Zenit AND Lukaku starts as well. If so, there is an opportunity for Christian to not only be goal/assist productive, but demonstrate great chemistry with Lukaku. That could definitely help his case going forward if/when Lukaku starts playing major minutes again- which is definitely more likely than not now

Noriega7 repped this.
  13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    All sources mentioned (if they're mentioned) are calciomercato or Enzo Bucchioni. Neither of which is deemed reliable.

C'mon, you've been around long enough not to put much stock in this stuff. It could happen, but it's way too early to think as a default that any of this is more than clickbait.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The possible signing of Chiesa is mostly seen as an indictment of the three signings in the summer of 2020 (Ziyech, Havertz and Werner).

The rumor is also that two of those three would be leaving.

15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    And probably mostly made up.

bct81 repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ziyech's been leaving since he landed in London... Probably some movement this summer, but all these guys are getting pretty reasonable minutes right now and will be till Feb. It's one thing to say "they're only starting every other game" when you have 5-6 games a month, it's something else when you have 10-11...

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    this thread has become “where speculation runs rampant”

18. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️

19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Damn, this thread is now on the 3rd page of YA?

Is everyone thinking he'll get the start tomorrow against Zenith?

Chelsea is already through, it's a battle for top spot of the group. I am thinking TT might want to rotate and rest some players tomorrow. Well, it seems TT rotate every game any way.

LouisianaViking07/09 and zico21 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He has to rotate every game. Chelsea could have two complete teams and each would still play about as many minutes as your average lower-table EPL team. I think Chelsea's combined keeper minutes so far this year are just shy of 2x Norwich's combined keeper minutes. They play a LOT of games, esp Nov, Dec, and Jan. (not to mention international minutes for many - it's nutz really)

Dervos repped this.
  21. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll get the start. It may be an odd lineup with all the midfield injuries they have.

22. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Chelsea really is the perfect team for tinkering TT. They have the fixture load to actually need it and the squad depth to actually carry it off.

freisland and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whoever writes game preview articles for Chelsea's website is either trolling Bigsoccer posters or setting the stage for an epic explosion:

Should Marcos Alonso be rested, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic, as well as Saul, are left wing-back options.

Pulisic's transition to the defense is nearly complete...

24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Please let Saul not play

stanger repped this.