Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Sky Sports Football and it's consistently inept player ratings. Didn't watch the game, but did see the highlight of CP's good cross to Rudinger, who messed it up. Sky Sports rating for CP's brief appearance was 5/10

2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I hear ya'....however CP was exactly what you were describing for Chelsea in the condensed period of games between June-July 2020. He was arguably one the top 5 players in all of EPL during that period, with loads of goals/assists/fancy highlights. Even including his goal and play in the FA Cup final before his untimely injury.

If he can figure out a way to replicate that play for Tuchel under a (say) 10 game stretch.... and then over a longer stretch of games.....Tuchel will not dare pull him from starting lineup and it will be ideal scenario.

I think Watford is an ideal opponent for him to score a couple goals...

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The problem isn't that CHO had a bad game - it's that he had clearly already faded while Tuchel held his Mount / Pulisic / Lukaku cards for the equalizer / go-ahead. I can understand somewhat because the team was pretty dominant, but Man U had flipped the script a little before the subs, and it was kind of an obvious time to bring them in a little earlier. I mean, they're literally better players than the guys they replaced.

But it's only Werner who had a poor game, combined with one Jorginho bad mistake and RLC simply not being as good as Kante or Kovacic IMO. CHO continues to be a big improvement over last year.

4. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Yes, they gave him a five, tied for lowest on the team with Jorgi and Timo.

Mount got a six.

;)

adi21 repped this.
  5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Man o man, just watched Rudiger miss at the death, from the 'on a platter' cross from CP.

Rudiger had time even to take a touch to cushion and then wack it.

CP gets a 5.....except if Rudiger scores the goal he should have scored,
    CP would get a 9 and be the hero haha

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a coach for a top team that does not believe in rotation, he should be fired.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Most teams don't have the strength of Chelsea on the bench. Who does? They cant rotate like Chelsea.

russ and golazo68 repped this.
  8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I can only think this is because TT hopes to start CP, Mount, and Lukaku in the mid-week game. And all three are coming off injuries.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    ManCity. He did say top team but Liverpool doesn’t rotate really. Probably partly why they had such a title hangover the next season.

10. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    CFC squad strength aside, Tinkering Tuchel has a habit of overthinking in regards to rotation

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don’t know - his record seems to suggest otherwise.

zanderbz, ttrevett and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of these days it would be great to see an extended clip from training sessions. I just don’t see the performance value of Werner week in and out.

He runs and runs but the connecting play and routine offense generation that he showed at RBL just isn’t there.

Tuchel keeps saying he is great in training.

dspence2311 repped this.
  13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    In hindsight he looks even better. Dortmund looked the best under him of all coaches after Klopp left, he was almost able to overcome the circus in PSG and win the CL, and now Chelsea. When you look at his situations, coaches who were in his shoes before and after, the expectations, and the teams and their different circumstances and pressures, he has done pretty damn well.

superdave and dark knight repped this.
  14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sub ratings are weird at times. If he started the match and played the same, it would have been a 7.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Ratings in general are a waste of time. Just a way to engage the appetites of fans, and get them clicking and talking. It will always work.
    In this day and age of rotten tomatoes, yelp, etc ratings are consumed mindlessly everywhere. It clicks the proper synapsis to respond.
    Yet, they are now more useless, manipulative and bias than ever. The irony.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea just seems to have alot of players who are all fairly talented and whose level is roughly the same. Which I'm sure is frustrating for Pulisic, but I'm sure it's frustrating for the others too.

With something like 11 games in the next 30 days for Chelsea, I'm not that worried about Pulisic's playing time. As long as he stays healthy he's going to get plenty of time.

freisland, CyphaPSU and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It really is that simple. Untouchable Mason Mount, remember all of those pages of shots and rants, looks very Touchable now.
    Want to play for one of the top, richest teams in the world, these things will happen. All I know is that when Puli is healthy he plays in some fashion.
    All I know is that when he leaves a team with real quality and ambition will want him, and I don’t even have to post endlessly to try and make it true in my mind!!!!! I won’t have to trash other players, coaches, fans, claim bias of any kind, make up conspiracy theories, you name it.
    CP is good. Just stay healthy. That is all.

zanderbz repped this.
  18. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I think Pulisic should leave but only after he wins another trophy at the end of this season. He would be stupid to leave during the title run.

For his own development, he does need to be on the pitch as a starter and it seems that Tuchel isnt going to start him regularly and some of that can be because of the squad talent that Chelsea has.

Id love to see Pulisic in about 8 other clubs. He is a lot more impactful than he gets credit for than when he is healthy.

19. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    #51444 YankatOxford, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    USA (and big over the air NBC) will continue to carry the same broadcast windows as NBCSN/NBC on cable/over the air television. The rest of the matches will be on Peacock, as now. NBC's bid was around ~$2.7 billion dollars, or roughly $440 million dollars per year for six years.

John Ourand of Sports Business Journal is the best resource on this, including some of the bid competitors and the details.

Here's a link to written transcription of the beginning of a recent podcast QA he did with Grant Wahl that is a short primer:
    https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/written-q-and-a-john-ourand-on-nbcs

He goes into even more depth in the full podcast interview, which you can listen to in the second portion of this recent Wahl's podcast starting at around 27:45:
    https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/john-ourand-on-nbcs-premier-league

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I, personally, think this "starter" myth is a Canard. The thing to look at is not "starts per Chelsea game" it's "starts + minutes/month" or something. Does anyone really want CP starting every game when a team has 10 games a month, 18 in 2 (+ internationals?) That's just a crazy amount of miles to put on a sports car like CP in the English winter. If he starts every 2nd or even 3rd game and gets sub minutes, he's getting plenty of PT - and it just comes down to whether he cares about being the "super star" face of a club. But the money is the same if you start 3-4 games a month or 8-9... And my guess is your career last longer with 3-4.

zanderbz repped this.
  21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Pulisic has played plenty of minutes when healthy. The issue is that he has not started in some of the bigger matches since Tuchel has taken charge. That's the sort of thing, more than the number of starts or amount of minutes, that will irritate a player like Pulisic enough that they will want to go somewhere else. These guys all have egos and want to be viewed as important enough by the club/manager to start the most important matches.

gomichigan24 and Method repped this.
  22. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He's definitely been successful with his tinkering, I didn't mean it with a negative connotation. He's just something of a mad scientist type and not really the type to run out the same squad over and over

ttrevett repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wonder. It's like - do you want to be Harry Kane and be "the man" on a number 5 squad your whole career? Or do you want to be Pulisic and sometimes be "the man" on perhaps the best club in the world?

I mean, sure, everyone wants to be "the man" on the best club in the world, but there's really only a few openings there.

russ and CyphaPSU repped this.
  24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Pulisic to become the first American outfield player to win the Prem.

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He can do that and leave in January. Just needs a couple more appearances before he moves. And since I'm talking technicalities, did Rossi win one?