Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I’ll need apologies from every poster who shat on my post about his low threshold of pain tolerance.

as I said he’s not tough.

2. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    You turn this into a character flaw. And it's not.

adi21, Footsatt, matabala and 2 others repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean this as non-dismissively as I can mean it...

But I wonder if Pulisic’s pain is more mental / anticipating the pain than actual pain. And no, I’m not just calling him some wimp who needs to toughen up. Personally, I get it. I suffered from a lot of injuries and eventually you get to a point where you don’t trust your own body. It’s sort of, here we go again mentality. Granted I’m a lot older than Pulisic but I get it if something like that is possible. There’s a reason I don’t do heavy deadlifts anymore or other movements which I know aren’t worth the risk.

If that’s the case, I hope that Pulisic is talking to a sports psychotherapist and meeting with a physical therapist regularly to re-establish the trust between his mind-body connection. Otherwise, he’s going to have a short career.

glutton4Bolts and russ repped this.
  4. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I’m not. Some people are physically tougher than others. I’m not deriding the person. Just acknowledging that this particular player falls into the “not tough” category.

pointing out this fact has been met with ridicule from posters.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not necessarily about toughness. Like Tuchel said, when your okay depends on quick decision and quick motions, any pain or anticipation of pain will make you less effective. Even if Pulisic could play, he would probably not be effective.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking from someone who has had a ton of back/groin issues I can tell you that the mind-body connection is a huge factor. I can't imagine the stress involved with being such a high profile athlete... the expectations alone could drive a person mad. At any rate... good post. I hope CP has the very best help he can get WRT body AND mind.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As difficult as it might be... if it’s truly bad enough... he may need to go down to the reserves for a little while before he jumps back on the treadmill going 120mph. Even if it was just for a month. Let him tear through some u20 scrubs... feel again what it’s like to play... then move back up.

Because, at the moment, it seems like he averages about 2 weeks of playing time, followed by 2-3 months of being out. That’s not sustainable.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pain is your body's way of telling you, "I'm not ready yet." Those who don't listen to their bodies have short careers. Pulisic is a very tough kid.

Footsatt, bct81, matabala and 2 others repped this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think of you as frankincense, because you never make any.

Bite o' the Cherry, USA-Zebuel and 60611 repped this.
  10. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Lebron just came out and said, after returning early to the first round of the playoffs last year, he had to take 2 months off of basketball to train and get his ankle back to where he could play without pain.

Could Pulisic probably play right now if you put a gun to his head? sure. I've done it on torn ankle ligaments as a goalkeeper.. why? because i'm dumb. Is Chelsea doing the right thing and allowing him to get back to full fitness? yes.

Sprained ankles can really hinder someone if rushed back too early. This was a contact injury so anyone boo-hooing his penchant for being injured need to stop being dumb. He'll come back from this and be just fine.

Winoman repped this.
  11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, they might.

Uh, he might.

russ repped this.
  12. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Good one.

I was correct. Deflect all you want.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he needs to take care to come back to full fitness. But, anyone “boo-hooing” about his history of injuries has a very good point. He’s very rarely ever been consistently fit. That said, I would LOVE to be wrong. But if I’m a betting man... I would not bet that Pulisic returns from injury and all of a sudden becomes this iron man player. More than likely, unfortunately, he’s going to have some other injury, soon enough, that knocks him out again for another 2-3 months. Simply, he’s never shown to be reliable. And I can’t say that he is reliable until he actually proves that he is.

madvillain and russ repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they won’t. Can you name me one time a club has ever issued such an ultimatum?

No he won’t. Pulisic has demonstrated time and time again how much he cares about the national team, and there’s no chance that if he’s healthy that he’s not coming for the most important game of our qualifying campaign against Mexico at home.

There’s way too much handwringing going on about Pulisic. It’s pretty simple, if he’s healthy and playing for Chelsea he’s coming to qualifying. If he’s not he won’t be.

GreedyG repped this.
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't actually know when these things will happen.He will suddenly feel a twinge, the game before the window,and sub in the first game after the window.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Footsatt repped this.
  18. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    once again, this was a contact injury which is vastly different than a non-contact injury. This thread is legitimately filled with non-sensical hysteria.

zanderbz repped this.
  19. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    I had suspected he had a set back which would make sense since there's no way the Chelsea doctors could have so grossly misdiagnosed him with the coach saying he would be out for 10 days.

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Never really understood the distinction frankly. Some guys hurt themselves running a sprint, others get hurt when guys crash into them. Many do both. What matters is that he's a slow healer regardless of how he gets hurt.

I think it's at least partially in his own head at this point. Pain is normal. All athletes play through pain. But injury is different. If the trainers and docs are telling him he's at no risk of further injury but he can't play through the pain -- well that's just who he is right now.

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter will announce the callups ~ November 6, which is in 2.5 weeks. We shall see. There is a grey area where, for example, Pulisic may have played part of one game and still feels some pain.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess at this point I just don't see Pulisic playing until the injury has been fully resolved.

Winoman repped this.
  23. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Not really. We know there are things like inflammation that can cause pain, even in an otherwise healthy athlete because the things they do are by their nature repetitive and cause pain. That doesn't mean you shut it down at the first signs of pain. If that was the case, you probably wouldn't have pro sports.

24. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes really that is the purpose of pain. Yes, inflammation and soreness are a part of sports and yes, athletes regularly play through it. Based on what I’ve seen with my own two eyes, I can conclude that what CP is not a case of soreness or inflammation that can simply be shrugged off. His coach basically said that.

From my perspective, it is in CP’s best interest for both club and country to heal completely before returning. I am a USMNT fan first and foremost and am just fine if he misses the next window. Chelsea is fine in the short term. If he’s a slow healer, so be it, then he should take his sweet time.

Winoman repped this.
  25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    "Tough" is an adjective invented by Madison Ave to sell trash bags, luggage and now TRUCKS. It appeals to the singular masculine mind with a reductive conception of masculinity. It has nothing to do with sports injury, kinesiology and rehabilitation.