Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    All we're doing here is confirming that Rom, Pulisic, and Kai are your 3 best attacking players on the roster, and it's not all that particularly close.

All this 'depth' that Chelsea fans brag about is a whole lot of average football

nbarbour repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chelsea suffers of military thinking.

If one man digs a trench in 200 minutes, then 200 men would dig it in 1 minute.

Right? ...right?

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How do you rate Pulisic that highly when he is so frequently down with injury? I think, at this point, their best attackers are 1. Lukaku. 2. Lukaku. 3. Lukaku. after that, it's meh and hope for 0-0.
    There's a lot of potential in Pulisic, but there isn't a lot of being able to count on him. a team's best players are those they can count on.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's not been injured prior to this for like a year. He was Chelsea's best attacking player, period, for the 2nd half of last season - and that wasn't remotely close. It's just that got pigeon holed into that super sub role BECAUSE he was the only dynamic player on the roster

5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I would love to see these three on the pitch together (with Kova) and see what the offense looks like then. I suspect it would be much more powerful.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we would, but that is completely beside the point. Mount has demonstrated, virtually every time he has played, that he is technically extremely good. Very seldom does he lose the ball and his receiving ability is excellent. However, he is not a successful attacker and never has been. His technique and stamina are perfect for a midfielder, but his best contribution would be as a #6, at least until he learns to hit line-breaking passes. Chelsea does need a midfield playmaker and he could be it, but not yet, IMHO. On the other hand, as long as Tuchel accepts an abundance of 1-0 games, he is likely to stay an attacker.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to FBRef (Football Reference, a stat site), last season, de Bruyne and Grealish were tied for first with 0.86 goals created/90 min. Bruno Fernandez was 3rd at 0.78/90, tied with Phil Foden. Chelsea had nobody in the top 10. Werner was #11 with 0.66/90. Mount was #36 at 0.44/90, also behind Havertz and Ziyech. CP was #47 at 0.41/90. (I don't know whether corner kicks contribute to this stat. If so, it would greatly inflate Mount's number).

onefineesq repped this.
  8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From years of playing various fantasy soccer games, the guys who take corners, free kicks, penalties are the ones you want on your team. If you have one guy taking all 3 of those your numbers are gonna go way up relative to everyone else.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a 6? That ain't happening. Bruno Fernandes leads Premier league this season with 5 through balls. Mount has 4.
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_through_ball

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

With the current talent and prefer formation, Mount is neither a starter in midfield or in attack when everyone is healthy.

There are only 2 midfielders and 2 attackers on the field at any given time with this 3-4-3 formation.

He has to beat out all these players in order to start, and I find it extremely hard to do every week unless there's some level of bias or preferential treatment.

Midfield: Kante, Kovacic, Jorgie
    Attack: Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Mount's best slot is neither "pure" attacker, nor "pure" midfielder, but he is pretty reasonably effective in the transition. Where that puts him on the pecking order falls more to system than anything. He is best in more hectic/fast moving games to my eye, when he has a bit of space in front of him.

I think if Lukaku stays healthy/on form the system/personnel shifts to what works best for him. I'll be interested to see what and who TT thinks that is.

12. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are you guys still arguing about Mount? He is no longer the teacher's pet of Lampard. Southgate and Tuchel also trust him. Based on how Tuchel has been selecting the team right now the front 3 is Lukaku, Mount and all the other attacking midfielder/winger types battling for the third spot.

russ repped this.
  13. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mount was an unused sub in the last PL game. Does this mean he is no longer an automatic starter ?

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By YA standards that's a hard 'Yes'

chad, nbarbour and russ repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'd probably be more flexible than Tuchel if it were my job, but breaking things down the way you have here, I'd frequently be happy to pick Mount over Ziyech or Werner (assuming Lukaku starting.) Pulisic would be the best offensive sub if he's not starting, and Mount/Havertz are great subs for either offensive or defensive situations when not starting.

That's a recipe for Mount playing in every match when healthy, and I think it's appropriate. Even if that means he's #4 on the depth chart for those two central midfield positions, he still may wind up one of the top minutes played guys on the team.

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I am still very surprised he hasn't even given the 4-2-3-1 a formation a chance, given the number of attackers they have on the roster.

2 midfield positions for: Kova, Jorgie, Kante
    3 attacking positions for: Mount, Werner, Pulisic Kai, Ziyech

With this very rigid 3-4-3, he has to put a lot of attackers on the bench.

DCU1984 repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's world class at chance-creation, it seems, based on that stat alone (chances / 90). I don't watch him week in and week out, so I can't give another assessment than that, but it's we don't have a luxury of players operating at that level.

18. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Tuchel doesn’t trust any single pair of center backs on the roster against most opponents, hence why he’s playing 3-4-3. And credit to him, because they have been dominating defensively for almost 8 months, with nearly identical personnel to what Lampard had.

Moreover, the team believes in the system right now (you could see it even after they went down a player against Liverpool), and everyone understands their defensive role, so until they buy a new center back, or they start leaking goals, this formation is here to stay.

usnroach and SamsArmySam repped this.
  19. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    For what its worth, Mount played 202 minutes for England in 6 days prior to the match against Villa. Southgate started him against Hungary and Poland, and he came on as second half sub against Andorra. (And he started the CL match against Zenit, so no evidence yet that his status has changed.)

stanger and Cubanlix63 repped this.
  20. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy's a workhorse. Stamina for days.

YankatOxford and dspence2311 repped this.
  21. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Pulisic's biggest problem is his own play.

If he can play at the level of June-July 2020- where he was world-class for that stretch- or right below that level (late Oct-Dec 2019), he will be impossible for Tuchel to keep him out of the starting line-up.

It wasn't just goals during those periods...his movement and touch was sharper. He played with an arrogance & creativity + with such unrelenting pace and positivity in attack.

He has it in him. This is his big challenge as a player- to produce those high levels more consistently during these next 2-3 seasons of his career. He will get his chances this season to prove he can do so once again.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Watching Chelsea every week, I am shock to learn that Mount is world class in chance creations. Perhaps a large portion of those chances came from dead ball situations.

ChicagoVT and MPNumber9 repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Pulisic training again?

24. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Reupping previous analysis. Tuchel said 10 days on September 10. Chelsea don’t play until Sunday afternoon, so we probably won’t get any update until Saturday, and even then he is not expected to be back in training yet.

25. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    And here’s a direct quote from Tuchel today, which confirms:

"No fresh injury concerns, good news," Tuchel said to the media on Friday afternoon in his pre-match press conference.

"Christian Pulisic is in individual training and trying to come back as fast as possible to team training. He will not be in the squad. N’Golo is back in full shape and ready to play."