Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I actually said "what?!" out loud. In no sane world would Chelsea swap out who is the best DM in the game for any of those strikers. Especially a 33 year old Lewandowski.

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    You guys are nuts; Mason Mount is really, really good. If he was born in Chicago as opposed to England we’d be tripping over ourselves as NT fans with delight.

beamish and freisland repped this.
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Since he lost corner kick duty his stats aren't being padded. Everyone thinks he is in a slump, but he is actually playing about as well as he always does.

5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    they have spent a lot of money and those are sunk costs, but paying for the lukaku bailout seems shrewd

freisland repped this.
  6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Those "sunk cost" guys are young enough that they aren't likely to lose a fortune on them in the long run.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i dont think they will ever get their money back on werner and i am becoming ever more doubtful on havertz.

8. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's the fact he thinks he's better. It's the fact that everyone(media) is overhyping his abilities and contributions. It could lead him to believe he's a superstar, but I don't currently see such an ego on him. He is utilized more than he should be.

9. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Ahh, yes. As an attacker. That makes more sense. Sorry.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I didn't write it very well.

11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ziyech and Mount were failures at breaking down Zenit's defense. Would Werner and Pulisic have done any better ? I would hope so.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to WhoScored, Mason Mount was 2nd in chances created in the entire Premier League last season, beating out players like DeBruyne and Grealish for total key passes..

For comparison's sake, Pulisic is...much lower on the list. For context, his total key passes are comparable to Kante and Jorginho's.

13. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Did not watch the game, but if Mount was a 4/10, I assume the UK tabloids gave him a 9/10, as per ush

Pl@ymaker and adi21 repped this.
  14. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, seems like the more Pulisic sits out, the greater he is in the fans eyes, all of a sudden, lol. All the Twitter experts are now saying, “I miss Pulisic,” and “I can’t believe it, but I think we need Pulisic to break down the defense.”
    At this rate, if he sits out a few more matches, he will be considered a legend :p keep them wanting more.
    Chelsea fans are fickle - and have more in common with the USMNT support than they would like to believe.
    Seriously though, I really hope CP is back soon, and take his opportunities. I think he could thrive with Lukaku if they get an understanding….

laxcoach, freisland and Noriega7 repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. Yes, we’d be thrilled with his talent. But if he was being played as one of three attacking players by GGG, we’d be bashing GGG for it.

I think he’s a terrific player, in my limited Chelsea viewing. But he underperforms as a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought Mount had an off night. He is going to a be a pretty good midfielder even if I don't think much of him taking up one of the attacking spots.

I did have the thought on some of the open play, that our lad might have made more of some of that what we saw tonight. If he and Luk can get on a roll, then the sum will be even better than individual parts which are pretty damned good to start with.

I was not at all impressed with Ziyech, not a big fan of his. Havertz I don't really have an opinion on.

Fun start to the season, hope CP gets healthy soon.

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think that Havertz can be a great player, but loses out from the demise of the #10 role in today’s football. I think he would excel in the role ManU let’s Fernandez play. But I doubt TT would ever let him play that role. I also like Ziyech’s offensive game, but his defense makes Pulisic look like Tyler Adams. It’s Werner that I just don’t get it. I just don’t see that he adds anything much to this team. To the extent that he or CHO take minutes away from CP, I think it’s time for CP’s agent to get on the phone.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think that CP could be a very good partner with Lukaku if he gets him the ball early on the run, or in space where he has room to run. Lukaku with a head of steam right now is money. Put that ball in his stride, notch the As.

19. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder : )

Also, Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

YankatOxford, Zinkoff, Pl@ymaker and 4 others repped this.
  20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mount is a great player, but not world class. He's hard to leave out of any lineup, because he is good on attack and in defense.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49921 nbarbour, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Exactly. He would be an auto starter for us in midfield. The thought of him wreaking havoc with McKennie in front of Adams is incredible. But he’s not a better pure attacking player than Pulisic or Reyna or probably even Aaronson. Look at Mount’s WhoScored ratings this year (inclusive of his England play, which is all I could find). Average rating of 6.85 when deployed as an attacking mid, versus 7.6 as a center mid. WhoScored is just one datapoint and is by no means the gospel, but that’s a big discrepancy.

Zinkoff and superdave repped this.
  22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Mount is a dreaming version of Lleget.

usnroach repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The again part of this statement makes it a reflection on a very decent approach. In other news, birds gonna fly, fish gonna swim.
    Tuchel gonna Tuchel. These are not bad things..

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "quickly becoming"? Good one.
    Or was this a time loop thing, and this post popped up from Sept 2003?
    Who do you think brought about FFP? for the record, the exact approach you are lamenting has bought them 5 Prem titles. In the world of overspending on a football club, Roman is the OG.

freisland, usnroach, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t see this comparison. To me he is much braver in the attack, and a better defender. I would liken him to a high energy box to box player.