Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    And yet the tie, against a sputtering RM, would’ve still been deadlocked without CP’s contributions. Not sure you can say that about any other player, much less one whom only played 90 of the 180 minutes.

nbarbour repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Tuchel will claim credit for how he deployed CP. Not too many who are not us would publicly disagree with him.

3. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    They won and that is all that mattered. Decisions be damned that is all they needed. Hard to argue his tinkering when it pushed them through (who knows if it was in spite of him because we never will).

However TT seems like an implosion type of manager eventually.

CP would be much better off somewhere else though. But Im not sure where at the moment. I would love to see him for PEP, Liverpool, or someone who is a lot more wide open and knows how to generate space as a tactical manager.

In that setting Pulisic would look world class.

4. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    #46629 60611, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Who cares what fans think? Far more important is what Pulisic thinks, and I think he made that clear. Going out of ones way to prop up less effective players and alienating your game-changers is a horrible long-term strategy. Then again, Tuchel has never seemed to care about the long-term.

nbarbour and Method repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the debacle of the ESL and the fan reaction, and the following implosion of the ESL as a direct result, one would have to surmise that at least the boards of the 6 English clubs care. Just answering your question, back to the CP thread.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    LMAO...it seems the Chelsea fans are madly in love with Havertz, he's their next coming of Hazard. LOL

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He flashed a lot more of his best Bayer play yesterday. Everything but a finish.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with that, I just wish there was a way in Tuchel's mind to have Werner, Havertz, Mount, Pulisic and Kante on the field at once. It would have to be a system without the wing backs so I don't know that will ever happen at Chelsea with Tuchel in charge.

But man, Kante is, IMO, a phenom. I can't really pin down what his position is other than roaming the center of the park as he does, but he is 100% indispensable. Incredible talent. Growing up, I never realized what a massive talent pool the French have, but they are just so deep with their stable of players.

Not to mention the fact that Riyad Mahrez was born in Paris. They must be sick having lost him. We grouse about losing out on dual nationals but can you imagine losing out on a talent like Mahrez?

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Kante has not been great in the premier league this campaign but he brought it in champions league like it was 5 years ago

10. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’all need to chill. Tuchel is doing an incredible job. We wouldn’t have imagined Pulisic playing in a CL final in just 2 years if we look back at when this move was announced.

Pulisic wants to play, just like every other player. Lampard honored that wish and CP limped off the field in the FA Cup final after going 90 minutes several games in a row. This is exZctly what CP needs. Tuchel sees him as a starter but for tactical reasons chose a different lineup. That has happened to Kante, Werner, Kai, Kova, and Jorginho this season. Let’s stop seeing everything as an attack on American athletes. Based on Tuchel’s pre game comments, he’s right, Kai is better at defending set pieces which was important with the addition of Ramos to the side. Tuchel brings CP on in the perfect moment, and he absolutely terrorizes the defense who was on tired legs.

Saying Pulisic should leave a team where he is playing when healthy, has a one of the best coaches in the world, is a fan favorite, is pure idiocy.

Pulisic is a world class player, Tuchel is a world class manager. Don’t mess that up.

russ, y-lee-coyote, zanderbz and 12 others repped this.
  12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julien Laurens @LaurensJulien

In four months at Chelsea, Thomas Tuchel has now beaten Zinedine Zidane, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Diego Simeone (X2), José Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti! And without conceding a single goal either in those seven matches

RecLeague Super Sub, orcrist and Zinkoff repped this.
  13. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    You had me until you started saying crap about Tuchel being world class and shit. I just dont see it.

He is hot at the moment. But he has won at PSG based on the fact they would outspend anyone around.

While at Dortmund and with one of their most prolific scoring teams in a long time with Auba, the only thing they won was a single Pokal trophy.

He is hardly world class. Two finals in a row are cool and all but he needs to win something tangible in my eyes apart from PSG who buy their trophies in France.

nbarbour and theboogeyman repped this.
  14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic coming off the bench is an amazing weapon and every bit as important in the plan as who started the match. Tuchel was planning around all phases of the game and how RM might hurt them along with getting at RM. Worked out fine.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  15. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    It doesn’t matter what we think, we aren’t going to have any impact on the situation. It does matter what Pulisic thinks though, and he seems pissed at the moment.

Noriega7 and orcrist repped this.
  16. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Waiting on the list of managers who has been to 2 CL finals with two different teams in the last 10 years.

The list is:
    Klopp
    Tuchel

But sure, Tuchel is just “hot” right now

russ, WheezingUSASupport and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  17. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player is pissed when they don’t play. Pulisic feeds on that anger differently than other players and plays his best. Not stupid to harness that in key situations.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Also I want to hear that as a coach. You think I want someone who is happy to sit the bench. Pulisic knows if he answers respectfully that he’s answering the right way.

tuchel is happy to hear it.

russ repped this.
  19. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say, taking off my American goggles, that I understand TT's use of Pulisic. This is a guy who a few weeks ago subbed out after one half with hamstring tightness. Pulisic is definitely Chelsea's best attacking player IMO, it's just unfortunate he's also their most injury-prone.

But for this game specifically, I bet RM spent all week planning for CP and then a curveball got thrown at them. I don't see how anyone can argue TT's tactics did not work. They just dismantled RM over two games and only gave up one goal in the process.

20. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Thats awesome. He is a runner up two years in a row. Again, he has no silverware at all to his name except in France where he won at PSG where quite honestly everyone here would coach to a championship.

He needs to win one in Spain, England or Germany or Italy. Theres a reason France only gets 2 guaranteed slots for group play with their coefficient.

i mean its cool that he keeps getting invited to a wedding but eventually he needs to seal the deal before he is world class. You keep using the word and Im not sure you know what it means.

Pep, Zenadine (with his previous wins would qualify prolly), Klopp, Conte

I get that you like him but you gotta win something meaningful to be world class right? We cant just keep throwing around the word. Everyone cant be world class.

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Good news is that he could pull a Mathis celebration and still wouldn’t have to leave high level Europe. What a time to be a U.S. fan.

russ, Deeneaus and 60611 repped this.
  22. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s won silverware everywhere he’s coached,

German Cup
    French Title(which isn’t a forgone conclusion)
    And has a chance to when a double in his first season at Chelsea.

but I get it, would we be Pulisic fans if we didn’t tear down all of his coaches? I think not!!!

23. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Those of you who think Pulisic should be happy and stay because Chelsea are winning but he's on the bench? Imo he's not that guy. I bet he'd rather play every game than have to constantly prove himself when the other attackers have not had to do that at all. Move on puli if you don't start the CL final.

24. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Well, I’m not really a Chelsea fan so I’d rather not see Pulisic start on the bench in the only CL final he may ever get the chance to play in. Then have Timo Gyasi in a couple early ones off his back or something, and watch TT go into lockdown mode and sub our guy in at 85 minutes...however tactically expedient that might be.