Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure if you are being obtuse, or just misunderstood my point. The comment on spending was rillustrating their quality depth. I recognize the tired tropes of in a one off game or any given match etc, but this season has been grueling and the "collapses" of those lower budget teams shouldn't be all that surprising.

madvillain repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I expect Chelsea to play prettier soccer once TT has got the players he needs in central midfield.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #46254 freisland, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    huh? I totally get your point, hence my glib reference to needing a golf style handicap based on salary spending... The range in team spending in the EPL is nuts.

I was just pointing out that Everton and WH were, just 2 - 4 games ago, well in the hunt. Had either one of them (or both) jumped Chelski there's no doubt they'd be punching above their spending weight but as, say, Arsenal (and to a lesser extent Spurs and Pool), prove salary is not 100% destiny. Sticking with Lampard and some small slip ups on Chelski's part (or a bit more something out of Everton or WH) could have made the last few weeks more interesting, but, aside from Everton beating Arsenal, they and WH have choked. Everton lost to AV, who spend less than 1/2 of what Everton spend. WH losing to Chelsea might be expected but it is also the game that an overachieving team has to win or at least tie. WH couldn't manage it, but they also lost to a not-very-spendy NUFC just a week before (with RC in both games.) That's not the sign of a team that was primed to take advantage of their good season. It looks a bit like choking/not being up for it.

Not saying teams like WH and Everton don't have an uphill battle late in the season, but Everton esp spends a bit and has tied or lost to teams they needed to get more points from.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    This is awesome. As if you can't play Pulisic and Havertz together ... a couple of their better offensive games of the last couple months have come starting Pulisic and Havertz with Mount. Second leg vs. Porto, a big game? He went with those three. Last time they scored more than two goals? He went with those three.

Also, it ignores the obvious point that Tuchel was resting people - only Mount looks to been have run into the ground among the more running-heavy positions.

6. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s funny because the article doesn’t even mention Pulisic - just the headline. It only talks about Kai’s performance.

madvillain repped this.
  7. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    It also was largely about what a shit year kai has had. A bad headline even for a UK tabloid.

adi21 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Will he be able to do that, or will Marina and Roman go chasing after the prettiest strikers on the market?

9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Of course you can play CO and KH together, and he should be doing that. The problem is the insistence on Mount being on the front line AND Werner being in the starting lineup. If you require both of those two things to be your operating premises, then that creates the conflict posed by the headline.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Call me when he's nicknamed Playoff Havertz.

It was Fulham after all. KH is good, and I think will get better in the EPL, but there's no headache for Tuchel for RM unless it's play Havertz and drop Timo.

Zinkoff, Dirt McGirt and wsmaugham repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In that case Tuchel will leave. He can get an equivalent salary elsewhere.

12. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
  13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is the stage were having a manger like Tuchel over Lampard is gonna make all the difference.

14. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Tuchel is awesome. I'm a big fan. He wears out his welcome and is an awkward dude but he's a cleanup artist.

Cris 09 repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Managers are like players. They have streaks. Klopp was top dog until not long ago. Now, it's Tuchel's turn.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He really is the McLovin/Napoleon Dynamite of managers - but you can't argue the results.

madvillain repped this.
  17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Too bad Pedro isn't still on the team, then.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    varane OUT for wednesday

LouisianaViking07/09 and ttrevett repped this.
  19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony is that in terms of direct contrigutions, Werner is having a great year on paper. But his 11g/10a should probably be 30g/10a...

gogorath, Zinkoff and Konut repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And Ramos is IN, apparently.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    shaping up nicely for those of us who love watching old af center backs

Zinkoff repped this.
  22. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so true and really frustrating. Often times it’s Pulisic creating the chances for him. He’s lucky with his stats because he’s the type of player that attempts a shot more often than not, and Pulisic and Chelsea in general have been giving him a lot to work with. I’ve been saying it for a while, but I’m very confident that Giroud would have more goals and assists than Werner if he was given the minutes Werner has gotten.

23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He may not be one of the better players, but he might be one of their more important players. I'd argue Mount is Chelsea's most important player, even though he is not their best player. Likewise, even though there are may be one or two strikers at Chelsea better than Werner, it may be that the style of play Tuchel wants necessitates the inclusion of Werner over guys who are likely to score more goals over the course of a season.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

And someone is going to get hurt and taken off the pitch.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Giroud is 2x the CF that Werner is; unfortunate he never had the speed that Werner does.