Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    It's interesting how they just blatantly lie about the player having family issues. No wonder no one believed it when Aubameyang actually did.

Three and Three and mace repped this.
  2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43227 EruditeHobo, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    The numbers and seasons are in a post above, I compared their senior careers to date & their respective Chelsea careers to date, in CL & respective leagues; CHO has better production relative to minutes.

If he plays more this will probably go down, he's still bordering on small sample size with his minutes. But that's the relevant talking point when considering what CHO has "done", as far as I can tell. He can only do what he does, after all. If his numbers drop over the next 12-18 months or so, which in an overall sense I expect them to because of his early production in limited minutes at Chelsea, we can reassess.

Not sure how to be less selective than looking at a player's entire career & secondarily all minutes at a single club post-transfer.

It's a direct comparison. I'm not going to bat for CHO... he does something better than CP & CP does something better than him, that's true of every footballer comparison ever made. And they've both in ways had their purple patches, & also both been inconsistent too. Most attackers go through this, generally.

But the production relative to minutes is what it is... only stated facts in that regard.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as the receding hairline on a 19 year old!

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Wilshere had a lot of bone issues, which led to some tendon issue I think. He just couldn't stop breaking bones in his legs.

Pulisic hasn't had bone or ligament issues, which to me is a huge relief. You can fix muscle problems with proper training & therapy, and do so long term.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to Daniel Sturridge.

Might just be in the genes? Some fast-twitch muscle people are Russell Westbrook... some are... I don't know of a good example. Who had their game somewhat reliant on pace and saw their career sidelined due to muscle injuries? All the ones I'm thinking of had ligaments & joints involved. Apart from Sturridge.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    There are loads of players who have had recurring hamstring/muscle issues in all sports and never shake them. Pulisic could very easily be one of those players.

largegarlic and ttrevett repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I skimmed this and my brain first thought it said "the excuse was because he was in 'the family way'" and I realized I've read too many bad 19th century novels in my yoof.

Deeneaus and appoo repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you can, but similarly you can see problems with recurrent muscle issues, especially in guys who play a sport requiring massive acceleration and high flat out pace and changes in direction, especially those who thrive in the sport specifically because of his elite ability in that realm. I don't know how you get those completely fixed in season without a complete shut down until healed and also until the size/strength/flexibility in both legs is in balance again through rehab. Troublesome, but the kid has never been one to shy away from hard work so if there is a kid who can overcome it's CP.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Maybe I should say "relatively better". When you have those bone and ligament issues, there's no overcoming that. No amount of yoga, physical therapy or anything like that is getting you past that. It's pure luck.

At least with muscle problems you can work strengthening various muscles, stretching, yoga, rest, etc - you have a much better chance of overcoming that.

That's not to say Pulisic WILL overcome that, but it's better than having those bone and ligament issues

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Reggie Bush comes to mind.

Deeneaus and EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Michael Owen perhaps. Liverpool ran him into the ground, and while he was there he had a pretty bad hamstring issue which led to him completely being a different player.

ShortyMac and EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He also blew out his knee, twice IIRC

EruditeHobo repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was both for him. And took root mentally within the player, eventually. Sad to watch his decline, was one of my very favorites. Ballon d'Or. 98 WC. LFC trophies. Shame.

It's one enabled by Chelsea.

CP will almost certainly be here longer than (or perhaps nearly as long as) Tuchel... who has an 18 month contract, right? There's no way he's going to be playing nice and worrying about feelings, or even the growth of a player, when this is purely a mercenary job for him. That's for Chelsea to worry about. But Tuchel is just advertising his services... all he cares about is demonstrating that he can be win matches. That's got to be motivating everything he's doing.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I can think of a lot more guys who ended up having recurring problems after a major injury that caused a cascading amount of leg/muscle problems because their gait changed or they over/under rehabbed their leg or they lost confidence in their ability to stay healthy.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Loved this! No one sounds like an absolute villain, but nor is Pulisic expected to act like he has no agency.
    The injuries are a worry....but exactly how many are real? Apparently yesterday's injury worry wasn't true. Goes to show that the club can only use that card so often before it affects the value of their very expensive asset.

16. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see how long this formation holds up. I think if you sub in a healthy Kante for Jorginho you can easily go back to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 that suits Pulisic well. I don't think keeping Azpi in the game with a 3 man backline is that important.

If this formation is designed around Werner and Havertz behind a striker there could be long-term issues for Pulisic.

I doubt Chelsea will have a lead this game so hopefully Pulisic can have an impact as a super sub today.

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He saved Chelsea’s CL arse last season. Why on earth should he accept a subs role? His agent can start working on offers before the summer.

lmorin, dams, adam tash and 3 others repped this.
  18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He could also be one of all players who has occasional muscle issues.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. His cost isn't that high compared to what he showed after the covid break. There should be a significant number of suitors.

20. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I am rarely a fan of players moving clubs to often but Chelsea.

I hope Pulisic secures a move away

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a completely unlikeable club.

22. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Agreed. Get off Chelsea.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I agree. I know there are good, friendly Chelsea supporters/posters out there - like CrawleyBus on this board. But since the Mourinho days, all the way up until now, where I watch them closely, I just see a team with no soul and no traits to root for. but credit to them, they win trophies in their way.
    but I would like to see CP move on, while hoping his career is still successful and relevant enough to earn minutes for another elite European team

RalleeMonkey and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  24. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I'm leaning towards he's one of the occasional players that always has muscle issues.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he moves to one of my favorite Euro clubs