Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if he started but a sub appearance might happen. It will likely be too late. I am seriously worried that Athletico is going to embarrass us today. Very nervous.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Us? :p

I'll happily suffer a bit of embarrassment if that's what it takes to get Pulisic back on the field

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    #43203 appoo, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Perhaps I am, though I wouldn't call it dribbling, as much as I would call it slipperiness in ease of getting past defenders. His ability to control the ball in tiny spaces, and agility, quickness and short area explosiveness to slip through cracks whilst doing so, is....remarkable and among they very best in the world. You combine that his off the ball movement, above average vision, and very good passing touch and that;s why I call him a world class talent as an attacking midfielder.

You are right that this finishing is nothing special relative to the Champion's League QF+ level, which is what we measure him against.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  4. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What some of these folks need to do, 'ey?

nobody repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at my sig... Chelsea is my favorite club team... although they can be difficult to like. But my allegiance to the USMNT is so much higher... not even close.

ChicagoVT and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    so a bit of 3rd hand insider info, so TIFWIW.....someone SE PA, and hooked into the soccer scene there, and has some ins with the Pulisic clan/youth coaches...here's what he had to say (paraphrasing)

No "family issue", but rather Tuchel/Pulisic butting heads over his role, and CFC gave him a bit of a time out.

Tuchel views Puli as purely a super sub at this level, though open to Puli proving otherwise. Pulisic's clan doesn't think he fits the role in Tuchel's 352 that Tuchel is making him play

He'll likely try to leave if they continue to have that difference of opinion.

The club has gotten worried about his injuries, and Tuchel is making it worse by low balling his value, so not much positive going on there.

Finally, Puli/Tuchel get along personally. No animosity there. This is strictly a difference of opinion in role in the club, which all parties respect, even if they disagree.

If Tuchel is the long term coach there, then it might be best for all parties to move on.

Finally, I trust the source.

7. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Interesting and believable...I also had an hint that the family excuse was just that to cover up something else...even the recent supposed injury he suffered.

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I'd rather play false 9 type role than the wing back role if I'm Puli, right?

Supersub seems to be the bigger issue here.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  9. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Look at this guy's.

[​IMG]

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly doesn’t sound outside the realm of possibility.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gio’s is super pronounced. Can’t really play high level without it.

madvillain repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Pulisic on the bench....shouldn't surprise anyone, really.

mace repped this.
  13. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Hope they are down at half.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he made the bench.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Of all the speculation that I have heard on this board, this is the most plausible sounding to me. Looking forward to a new environment after the summer for CP. I think he has a lot more to show.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Someone should probably tell Pulisic not to overdo the stationary bicycle.

[​IMG]

mace, ShortyMac and adam tash repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2021-2-23_11-1-44.png

CP on the bench

18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    My god that is insane. Those bike guys have incredible power to weight ratios.

dougtee and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I'm not sure what role he is referring to. Is he referring to the wingback role he played when Tuchel first arrived or the more central forward role he played a bit in his most recent appearances?

In other words, did Pulisic have an issue with the wingback role so Tuchel gave him a shot to play as a forward, or is Pulisic bothered by the minutes he got as a forward and he wants to play as a wide player again--even if it means playing wingback? Or does Pulisic not want to play either of those positions?

My guess is that Pulisic would prefer to be where Mount or Werner are over where CHO is, but I guess I can't be overly certain about that.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That all makes a crapload of sense. I read this as CP digging his heels in a bit about being potentially cast as a wing back for Tuchel. If accurate , it's interesting to see that he has the spine to stand up to the manager. That's a pretty mature outlook, but certainly has ramifications, which the Pulisic team must be taking into the calculus of this behavior. Sounds like they want out if Tuchel doesn't change.

The problem as it is and always will be is the financial implications to selling him versus keeping him for depth because they can't sell him for what they believe he's worth but can't prove because he's either not playing much or can't stay fit.

A bad situation for both sides if it remains this way.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could pedal until the cows come home and never look like that guy. I would posit a guess that there was probably a little modern chemistry involved with that growth though.

TheRightPants, F96, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    His skull being the size of a watermelon is a pretty good indication.

ttrevett repped this.
  23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Apparently they don't think the 2nd strike role is a good fit.

EDIT - the rest is my personal opinion

Neither that nor the wing-back role particularly fit his strengths, of getting the ball outside the box, and attacking from one of the corners, where he can choose to playmake, dribble into the box, pass, or cut. That 2nd striker role is a lot different.

Personally, I'm not sure why Tuchel is so insistent on this system.

superdave and FC Tallavana repped this.
  24. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    obviously I don’t know you and your source, but everything you proposed sounds completely feasible. CP and his dad are very respectful, and are not primedonnas. He will keep his head down and work hard and do what is asked for the team, but he is also entitled to respectfully tell the staff that he may not fit this system anymore, especially in his prime years. I’d love to see him go to Italy or Spain.

and the Chelsea roster is so bloated and such a random Mis-mash of talent, that Tuchel is going to have to come up with creative answers all the time for why a various player does not even make the bench. Prepare to hear lots of “family issues” or “small knock” excuses, when in reality, he can’t have everyone on the game day roster and has to make cuts.

thank you for this very interesting behind the scenes info, which I’m very inclined to believe.

25. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    And one more thought - if CFC staff are “concerned about his injuries,” then other clubs will be too. And maybe we have reason to be concerned as well.
    I really hope this does not become a Jack Wilshere saga over the next few years,and am hoping he finds the best regiment to remain healthy for many seasons to come