Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no. Timo starting. Tammy riding the pine. They're not close.

2. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Timo seems to work better with another forward to run off of. I would not be surprised to see him in some variation of a 2 forward setup with Tammy or Giroud,

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I wouldn't bet on that so quickly.

Tammy had been producing, and is a favored academy kids. He's not going straight to the bench.

And as others have said already, Timo is not a lone striker type of guy.

4. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Yeah. Timo usually plays up top with a more traditional 9 like Schick or Poulsen. Tammy is a similar player to both, so that's probably how Lampard will align them.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because he plays that way at RBL doesn't mean it will be that way at Chelsea. But I do think the most likely scenario is that Tammy and Werner will often be on the field together. As such, you can certainly look at this addition as direct competition for playing w/ respect to CP. Positional flexibility would greatly improve CP's chances at getting minutes. Mount moved around quite a bit last season which makes him a candidate to start in several formations. I am not sure Frank thinks CP is tough enough to play some of the midfield positions he has trusted Mount to play.?.? I think even Mount might lose playing time once RLC is back to full health/fitness. CP will surely get his chances to make a difference but the competition is going to be better for sure.

EDIT: RLC and CP training together ahead of Villa Trip:

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/gallery/chelsea-training-lampard-broja-anjorin-18369172

Gacm32 and smokarz repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so much of a no-brainer there should be a half dozen other clubs coming in and trying to steal this transfer.

ttrevett and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Surprised United didn't come in

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bah, you think the Cheek is an ACM? He's a #9 all day and night. Don't know who why or where he ended up as a middy. I'd much rather have him playing off Timo in some kind of two man strike force than Tambraham and Werner. But no, for me, he is not a creative mid.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Perhaps, but they have zero creative midfield players just north south defense guys. Lumpy didn't much care as he preferred extremely direct attacks, turn and burn or go wide then cut in for the shot or cross. I think of Kagawa in Dortmund, a guy who can find seems in the midfield and just very delicately slice away. I genuinely think CP has that potential but I don't think he will get the shot to play it or that Lumpy wants it.

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the guy has never played a professional minute as a #9... and think he is fantastic playing in the center of the midfield. Not saying that he couldn't play as a striker... just think we would have seen it by now if Chelsea had any plans to do so. Who knows? He has never played under Lampard.

11. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    If he's the best option he would be able to play there. Christian has a problem with getting easily pushed off the ball though and in the center of the pitch that's going to be a bigger issue. It's a problem even on the MNT. Maybe he will improve in that area because I agree he has more creativity than their other options. I've never seen RLC play but I have heard he is very good. With Ziyech back too, I think that spot is going to be covered though. Frank supposedly wants Ziyech to play in the middle.

12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he has to earn the position. So what? It will be a major surprise to everyone if he doesn't earn the position rather quickly. But if he doesn't, so be it. He'll be a useful sub.

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear/read that? I kind of favor having him play on the right side of the pitch... either as a winger or in the midfield so that we can make the most out of his whip-like crosses. I guess if he is in the center then he has the chance to serve those crosses from either side of the pitch. I could see it... but I still think RLC is the best option there.

14. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I cant' remember where I read it. RLC is supposedly injury prone it's good to have another option there I guess.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just signed Ziyech, so they have at least one creative midfield player.
    This season and in 17/18 he played a lot from CM/AM positions, and racked up a mess of assists, in the league and in Europe.
    Even when he's on the wing, he tends to be a creative force, in fact throughout his whole career -- no matter where he's been played -- he doesn't seem to have a problem getting assists.

We'll have to see how that translates to the EPL, but either way it should not be surprising that a club with 2 young, promising wingers that Ziyech would be pencilled in as being the attacking force through the middle. I'm sure he will also be used out wide in some rotational role... that's the benefit of a versatile attacker.

Christian also has problems with decision making, which is also exacerbated by being surrounded in the center and asked to make the right play, whether selfishly or unselfishly.

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know RLC's complete injury history but he has missed a lot of games starting from the 17/18 season... so yeah, depth and positional flexibility is essential. But some interesting front-end formations when there are is a 3-man backline:

As part of a 3-5-2:

------- Werner - Tammy -------
    CP - RLC - Kante - Ziyech - Odoi

As part of a diamond midfield 3-4-3:

Werner - Tammy - CP
    ------------- RLC ------------
    Odoi ---------------- Ziyech
    ------------ Kante -----------

It seems to me like Chelsea will have a lot of interchangeable parts. CP, Odoi, Werner and possibly Ziyech look to be the wingers. Tammy is still the main #9. They could use another. Ziyech, Mount, RLC, Kante, Jorgi, Kova and Gilmour to fill out the midfield.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    you're kidding!

Timo doesnt check all the boxes for Klopf.

18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sancho makes sense for just about any team that can afford him.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not really. You have to take personality and motivation into account. He needs to go to a team where he fits in.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  20. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    After watching lots of Ziyech... People are focusing too much on his position. He can really play any of LW/10/RW or even deeper to help build. He is at his best floating around and interchanging mid game. Some of his best moments are coming back deep and going with long diagonal passes.

I'm curious as a very casual Chelsea observer with this (and Werner who can play the 9/wings) if Lampard is looking for a positions-less, open style of playing team.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's hope not, CP is a guy who needs limited responsibilities and a clear game plan. The open spaces just-go-and-have-fun style of coaching is unlikely to work well for him.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is way off in my opinion. He in fact made his name in mostly wide open attacking interchangeable football. not slow deliberate play.

I think his decision making actually improves as the play speeds up, he has less time think about ti and just use his instincts. When he has time to survey things is when he messes up

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People would have, and did, say the same thing about a guy like Firmino a couple years ago.

I'm not certain which boxes he's lacking, especially in a rotational role which is what he would be signing up for probably for at least a year or two.

Either way it doesn't really matter, this looks very much done based on what everyone is saying. Werner, Ziyech, and supposedly still going after Chilwell... actually getting those 3 would be a hell of a summer for Chelsea. We'll have to see exactly how all the chips fall.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't make sense as being a very realistic acquisition for this Chelsea side, which is not clearly a top 4 side in the league right now, is what I was getting at.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if you are being serious, but I agree. 49M for Werner is a swindle. I have no idea why RBL has this in his contract.