Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RLC should be back and if he plays like he did before the injury then he is a force at ACM.

kba4life1 repped this.
  2. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I don't think they are overloaded on the wings. Pulisic has had demonstrated injury problems, Mount is much more comfortable on the inside so he can get those long shots he's in love with off (I like Mount, I don't know if he's a starter on a top four EPL team, but I enjoy watching him play. Reminds me a bit of an undersized, but quicker albeit poor man's Dempsey). Pedro has to be gone right? CHO is young and inconsistent.

If you want to challenge for a top four slot you need at least five capable wingers IMO for rotation, injury load, and having the flexibility to drop based on form.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    sounds right

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

If RLC proves he can stay healthy, I think you should expect 1 or 2 midfielders gone this summer.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32930 EruditeHobo, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    And Werner is not getting bought to be deployed as a winger...

You know what... I actually forgot about Ziyech. I think that definitely makes it closer, and might indeed bump them into top 5 depending on how both these signings (one of which isn't signed yet obviously) adapt to the prem... but lets go ahead and play it out...

I'm assuming all teams healthy without off-pitch issues such as transfer sagas & owner-manager drama affecting performance. Just looking at the talent of the current attacking squad, so Spurs and United are both going to look better than what they may represent on any given gameday... but I tihnk that's the exercise. And I could just as easily say that the likes of Arsenal/Spurs/United could also buy and get better, which Chelsea are doing/have done but others haven't yet.

Either way when those guys get injured again and/or get transfered, then that will be a separate conversation. However, looking at the talent and production level of the respective attackers, and if you think of the top of the attacking depth chart as the most important attackers + the first goal scorer off the bench... they kind of are what they are on paper:

Depth chart: Top 2 attackers, top wide options, top CM playmaker/s, #1 goalscorer off bench

CHE: Werner & Ziyech, CP/CHO/Willian, Mount/RLC (theoretically), Tammy

ARS: PEA & Lacazette, Pepe/Martinelli/Mkhitaryan, Ozil/Ceballos, Nketiah
    TOT: Kane & Son, Lucas/Bergwijn, Eriksen/Alli, Lamela
    UTD: Rashford & Martial, James/Greenwood, Fernandes/Lingard, Ighalo
    LEI: Vardy & Maddison, Barnes/Perez/Albrighton, Tielemans, Iheanacho
    WOL: Jiminez & Jota, Traore/Doherty/Neto, Moutinho/Neves
    CITY: KDB & Aguero, Sane/Sterling/Bernardo, Gundogan/Silva, Jesus
    LIV: Salah & Bobby, Mane/Trent/Robbo, Ox/Keita (if healthy), Origi

Honestly I'm not certain I take those Chelsea attackers for one season over ANY of these other squads... their value is at this point represented by how much they have to offer over many years, which is not what I meant when comparing them now.

I am talking about who will I rely on to get wins right now.

Arsenal are top heavy, but those top players are frankly much better and more experienced attacking from multiple positions... but I'd fancy a decent manager to take them and do better than with the young Chelsea crew & unproven Ziyech/Werner.
    Foxes are workmanlike, but they've been kicking ass in the prem under a good manager. Is Werner worth more than Vardy over the course of a contract, yes of course. Is Werner better in a prem match right now than Vardy? I don't know. Vardy's going to score over 20 this season, do you guarantee Werner would do the same with this Chelsea side?
    United is frankly not even close, I'm not even counting Pogba as a playmaker out of CM or the disaster of a signing in terms of personnel (not talent) in Sanchez. Chelsea still has no advantage in this comparison IMO. I guess they win wide depth, but United don't often play very wide anyways, or if they do it is often happening through their strikers.
    I threw in Wolves just for fun, but looking at it... honestly I might take them too!
    No need to discuss LIV & City.

So, it's not exactly like they represent a great threat right now. We'll have to see what happens with them if Werner does indeed go through.
    We will also have to see how others strengthen and how that might further shift the comparison.

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Frank also stated he thought Chris was best in the middle and then proceeded to play him, all but a few minutes to close out a lost cause, on the wing.

You might be right, butt here is no guarantee that the offense in the Ered translates to the PL.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Great buy (seriously) but where does he fit in the Centerback rotation? Oh, yeah, he's not one. Idiots. BUY DEFENDERS. Their attack was quite productive for most of the season. Their defense was TERRIBLE. Seems like there's a more cost-effective way to improve the team.

8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Tammy was a very prolific scorer in his first season with the big boys, I wouldn't be so sure that Timo just walks in and takes his job.

9. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    His stats are skewed by a hot streak and a couple multigoal games early in the season. I don't think he's elite yet, and his job is certainly not guaranteed for a team hoping to win titles. He also seems quite injury prone.

Gacm32 repped this.
  10. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    He did? As an AM? I think he would get dispossessed like crazy in the middle. It's something he really needs to work on.

11. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    This team beat wolves, beat Leicester away. I still think they have more options than both those teams. I would say City and Liverpool are the only teams that are obviously better. United seems to be a bad match up for them but has been even less consistent. Although they did get better towards the end with Fernandes.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I wouldn't say profilic. He had some good games, some hot streaks. But there were games where even the die-hard CFC fans were frustrated with him. But that's what you get with a young striker, inconsistencies. I think he's at least 2-3 years away from leading the front line for a title chasing team.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watford beat Liverpool. I’m not talking about wins, I’m talking about talent in their attacking corps and what it might say about 20/21.

14. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Right, but the results this season lead one to believe they are still top 4 challengers and the team has gotten stronger in the attack. The others not so much.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Kante doesn't seem eager to move on? He literally gave an interview where he said he wants to stay there until he's not welcome. Not sure Chelsea is really getting the best out of him though, or if he's just having injury issues.

Gacm32 and Sam Hamwich repped this.
  16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't disagree, but I don't think it is a given that Timo just walks in and takes all the minutes. It would actually help Tammy to have some adequate help. He has 13g 4a in 27 apps, that is pretty good. OG is mostly past it and Bats isn't CFC level.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    One of the best pure 6"s in the world playing really high up the pitch in Frank's system has been speculated to be some of it by CFC faithful.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Oh completely. I don't expect Timo to be given an automatic starting spot, he has to earned it.

It will be interesting how Frank lined up his talents next season. 2 strikers? Timo on the wing? Alternate between Timo and Tammy?

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chelsea is about the bottom line, and attackers are sexier than defenders.

I don't see them winning anything any time soon.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t get me wrong, both Pool and City are better teams right now. However, you don’t see a team that’s got a history of just winning not winning anytime soon? All they do is win. Even when they shouldn’t win they still manage to get it done and get trophies.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah I wouldn't count CFC out with Lamps at the helm. He had them outperforming their talent until injuries derailed them. They did that despite Kepa rather pedestrian and the backline was at 6's and 9's due to injuries and not good enough personnel.

Frank is still learning he made some missteps thsat cost points last season and I don't look for him to do that as often this season. He will be better next year, the lads will have a better understanding of ewach other and the nuances of Franks positional expectations.

Not ready for Klopp's Pool yet, but I think they give City a go and Untied can't seem to get all on the same page on a consistent basis.

I am really looking forward to watching Chelsea play, and a year ago I thought it was some kind of bad karma coming back on me. It is a funny ole game....

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ok, they may win a Europa or an Emirates Cup. But even that is iffy.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can actually buy guys like Werner they’re going to be fine... but we don’t know that’s not BS yet I don’t think. Without some big buys like that... honestly when was the last time Chelsea were this pedestrian in terms of talent throughout the squad? That’s why they were winning, it wasn’t magical Chelsea-brand pixie dust.

Barring big signings — and who knows how Romans current situation really impacts that overall in the long term — they need to hope a few of the guys from CP, Mount, CHO, RLC, Tammy, and Tomori really pop in terms of taking the next step.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They have Zouma and Christensen at the back.

They're not going anywhere.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can get Werner for 49M, you buy Werner for 49M. There is value and then there is this. Werner is worth double that outside of the release clause. Regardless of one's other needs, you cannot pass up a player like that when available. I can't imagine why other major clubs aren't taking that more seriously. He is miles better than Abraham, and Giroud is off to greener pastures within the next 12 months. So while you are absolutely correct they need one or two good center backs, there aren't a plethora of quality finishers up for grabs at any time. This one is a lock.

EruditeHobo repped this.