Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same. I had something gnarly starting towards the end of January that centered around something similar to the symptoms of CoVID. Had been cooped up in a class with folks returning from Holidays around the world as well. Bunch of folks in the class got it too. Who knows what it was haha.

adam tash repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't store blood samples at blood banks.

striker repped this.
  3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah im in barcelona at a very international university. i was short of breath and tired all the time for like a week or 2, slight cough and night sweats...and my roommate was really sick..she was sick for like 2 weeks with a fever and bad cough....idk...coulda just been flu i guess...

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a weird flu at the end of January also. When I read the symptoms of Covid 19, I began to winder if that was it. Our neighbor who we have close contact with often travels to China. She is also the only non-Chinese person in her office.
    I think we have no idea of what the true denominator is in all of these stats we are citing.

Dr.Phil and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And that is exactly what was needed.

Stupid people weren't taking this seriously. Thinking that because you're young and you're never around elderly people or people with serious health issues it means you shouldn't help stop the spread is selfish.

Those people's lives are valuable too. The more we slow down the spread, the more a chance they have to find an intensive care bed, and also the better a chance summer arrives and it abates.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I presume this is because blood samples are useful for transfusion for only a short period of time. I am surprised that they do not archive a small fraction of their samples for later forensic (and other) studies. May be it is too expensive.

7. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not say a vaccine. I said anti virals that are experimental that can be tried in compassionate case for critically ill.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moderna has something as well. They both need to get to human trials etc. Not going to be available for a year likely. Need to go with experimental anti virals and social distancing for now.

And all those idiots out running around and thinking I am safe are idiots and selfish - because they may be carriers without showing symptoms for some period of time. They don’t think about the fact they are part of the total math here. Or they don’t care. The sooner we all buck up together the faster we get through this horrible situation.

9. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the flu then also and got swabbed - mine was influenza type A. Also had some respiratory pain. That was also going around.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not going to comment in this thread beyond this point, however I would surmise that social responsibility has an inverse ratio to the frequency of social media use. I personally don't care if others choose to run amok. I don't presume to know what is best and trust our government on very little. I do like the freedom to make my own choices and fought for that right.

Of course we are going to see an exponential rise in cases since we will be testing on a massive scale within the next two weeks or so. so the dramatic increase will be another cause for panic.
    I have been hunkered in, but am probably going to the lake tomorrow, doubt if I will see many folks, but aint mad at the folks who choose to get out. If my fav restaurant by the lake is open, I will prolly stop in grab a bite and catch up with some of my peeps.

If folks being out and about bothers you stay the feck in.

Buying up a years supply of toilet paper or hand sanitize or robbing folks on it pisses me off a lot more than a bunch of kids thinking they are invincible. One is greed, the other is just youth.

Darwinism will correct the problem.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first human vaccine tests have started in the US. N=1, but a start. Note that this is not a test to determine whether or not this particular vaccine is effective in preventing infection. That would be a subsequent step.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #32437 Suyuntuy, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    This is definitely the wrong thread to write this down, but what the hell. I'll make myself scarce after.

1. Is this the Flu?
    No, it's not the flu. The coronaviruses don't even belong to the same branch of viral evolution as the flu. They have ssRNA+ genomes, the orthomyxoviruses (flu viruses among them) have ssRNA- genomes. ssRNA+ genomes change faster and tend to be even smaller. Smaller = fewer changes make for bigger effects.

2. Is this SARS?
    Yes. MERS, SARS and COVID-19 are all caused by coronaviruses in the same genus, betacoronavirus. As a matter of fact, SARS-CoV (virus that caused SARS) and SARS-CoV-2 (virus that causes COVID-19) differ in a few bases. That difference makes the latter much less fatal, but also much easier to spread.

3. Is this a cold?
    Yes. Coronaviruses cause the common cold in humans (and other mammals, although in some they have more of a diarrhea effect, in some just fever, and in some no effect at all). You can think of SARS-CoV, SARS-CoV-2 and MERS-CoV as cold viruses imported from other mammals that don't know how to deal with us.

4. Why not just use antivirals to cure the sick people?
    Antivirals are only effective early during an infection. Unlike antibiotics, that kill bacteria, antivirals just inhibit the virus and cause it to multiply less quickly.

Also, unlike antibiotics, antivirals cannot be magnified --they're not natural products you can put in a plasmid and let some E. coli multiply into gallons, you have to manufacture them through a long, painstaking, expensive procedure.

You cannot count on antivirals to save people when you have thousands of sick people in every country.

5. Will we have a vaccine soon? Will it be effective?
    Yes. We'll have a vaccine very likely within the next 12 months. But coronaviruses change even faster than flu viruses. So, a vaccine will be useful only for a short window, and only for some cases.

The flu vaccine changes every season and is only around 50% effective. For a coronavirus, expect a vaccine to need changing twice or more per season, and the effectiveness to be even lower (20% to 30%).

6. So, am I going to die?
    Yes, you're going to die. We're all going to die. Not by this virus though. The old, the weak, the already sick, and the economy are likely to be victims.

7. Is it true this survives on surfaces for days?
    Yes. Fomites (non-living materials) are known to keep coronaviruses alive for days. Metal, plastic, glass, wood, leather, paper, yes: some research¹ indicates SARS-CoV-2 can live on them for several days.

8. What hope do we have?
    We have excellent hope. For one, coronaviruses in general are known to do badly once temperatures rise and the sun is shining. And, like The Wicked Witch of the West, humidity (in the air!) totally murders it.

Also, since it mutates very fast, if it's spread all over it's likely to mutate into a form that can live in peace with humans. A virus doesn't need to be noxious --as a matter of fact, now we suspect many of the best attributes living things develop, started with viruses that invaded them and added themselves to their genome.

For a virus, making the host's fitness increase would be a plus: it can be carried around longer, and infect others more and more. It's a shame we associate viruses with sickness; in truth, we should also associate them with rapid evolution. The placenta and even our huge brains may be results from viruses that 'improved' us.

9. But, what if it comes back next fall?
    We'll be more used to each other, and the mortality rate will drop more and more. Scientists and governments will take the credit, but in truth evolution should be the one rewarded. See above.

10. Since this is a pandemic now, officially, does it mean everybody is going to be infected?
    Not at all. The virus is still fairly contained in most countries, with Italy, Spain and France being the exception right now.

The WHO was reticent to classify it as a pandemic because once that name comes around, people may give up in trying to prevent and just hunker down expecting the infection.

That's not the case here, and was not the case in the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic. We're using "pandemic" more as a label to make people pay attention and don't act too stupidly.

A true pandemic means it's moving from person-to-person everywhere, like it happened in 1918-20 or in the 14th century. Let's hope (or pray, if religious) that it doesn't get to that.

----
    ¹ https://www.the-scientist.com/news-...n-live-on-plastic-and-steel-for-23-days-67260

https://www.chemistryviews.org/deta...2_Virus_Live_on_Surfaces_and_in_Aerosols.html

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you and I hope this gets shared multiple times.

Winoman repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the swab. Told no flu. What I was told is there's crap floating around they weren't familiar with.

Anyhow, one of the best things a person can have on hand is pure vitamin C. In Asia they've had great success with this vs the virus. If you go to seek medical help one of the first things they'll do is hook you up to intravenous vitamin C. Can easily mimic this at home orally.

Another insane tip which works. If you have a terrible cough and this worked when I had walking pneumonia, rub vicks vapo rub on the bottom of both feet liberally. I swear I stopped coughing within 5 mins every single time. Old wive's tale. But when I again was sick in Jan and coughing up my lungs, cough drops not doing a damn thing, the Vicks worked in 5 mins.

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32440 derek750, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Not that you're claiming it's a cure, but worth noting in time of misinformation: https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03...o-debunk-claims-that-vitamin-c-could-cure-it/

Also, Mason Mount ignoring advice about isolating after Hudson-Odoi's positive test.

frankburgers repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur with derek750. Don't believe simple remedies purported to solve complex problems. Again, there is ample evidence that Vitamin C does not work on serious illnesses. However, I must admit that it is hard to rebut undocumented claims of "great success" from unidentified people (scientists? physicians? street cleaners?) in an unidentified location somewhere in Asia.

18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Ok, release the real sunyuntuy

Your optimism betrayed your impersonation.

All chiding aside, a fair and balanced take in what this will look like moving forward.

Regardless of the outcomes, hopefully mitigating loss of human life, this situation is going to radically change global society from here on out. If not, then we as a species deserve what we get the next time.

Winoman repped this.
  19. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s a thought...why not move this discussion over to Gio’s thread so he can build up some page counts??? The kid’s lagging behind a little.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed we shouldnt be discussing Gio in the COVID-19 thread

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profit incentives research. That's how human beings work.

22. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Tell that to Edward Jenner

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profit still incentives research, even if some people act selfless some of the time. Edward Jenner's small pox vaccine from 200 years ago has little relevance to what's required to invent and commercialize a new drug product in 2020.

DeCoverley repped this.
  25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    They've warned us against the 5G waves but like good little consumers we want our cake and cancers too.