Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    The word "mass" used in relation to The Powers That Decide, should make you decidedly clammy. History is littered with acts of supposed "mass" munificence. Excuse me for not sheepishly following those who brought you this malady in the first place.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Have you considered talking to a doctor?

frankburgers repped this.
  3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    At least two US companies, Moderna and Inovio Pharmaceuticals, are expected to start their mRNA- and DNA-based vaccine trials next month. I agree with you that 12 months is optimistic, unless the covid situation gets so bad that the gov. waives a lot of trial requirements (compassionate use, like what it does with Gilead's Remdesivir). Problem is vaccination, if it goes bad, will affect a lot more people than a drug treatment. It also takes longer to figure out whether it works or not (vs. drug treatment).

4. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Only if I can be triaged by this nurse first...

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I've been communicating with some friends in Italy, France and Spain and things are really going great for them and they are all very confident, so I'm sure you're right.

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's especially similar in that they easily pass it on... to folks that eventually need respirators, which will be overtaxed.

mschofield repped this.
  7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    It's not a question of my "being right". It's a question of whether a blanket statement such as "in a few days we're going to be too busy fighting for our lives" is precisely accurate or non-constructive, sensationalized hyperbole? And yes, I read WE to mean the vastly overwhelming majority of the population who will NOT be fighting for their lives. That is, by no means, to diminish the heart-rending circumstances of those far too many who have (and will) be fatally touched by this horrific virus.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we can all debate the timelines and Moderna and Inovio and Mammoth Pharma and who knows what here.

My bet is on remdesivir ... I hope Gilead is cranking production of it for compassionate use on critically ill US patients in ERs.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Early results, with small sample size, is supposedly mixed for Remdesivir as a therapeutic. In animal studies, it supposedly shows prophylactic effects. Of course, if all animal study results are transferrable to human, the cancer problem would have been long solved.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Remdesivir is slow and expensive to produce. Unless Gilead is willing to share the production with dozens of other companies, it's not going to be enough to treat the 1 million+ sick people there's going to be in three weeks.

With Ebola it's different, since you get tops 20k infected people at a time, at least so far.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, mixed results. I doubt a generic-type antiviral agent will do much. Work directed toward creating antibodies specific for covid-19 is well under way. I think hope should be focused on having something at least minimally useful by late fall, but expectation no earlier than next spring. All subject to change, of course.

striker repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about a cold but colds are like snowflakes, every one is different.

You can prevent full onset flu, and lessen its symptoms, by having an antiviral injection.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the responsibility of the individuals concerned and the bar owners, not the sports body or the TV companies.

14. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    First, let's make it clear that the "mixed results" regarding Remdesivir that you and I referred to came from a paper that has not been peer reviewed. Interview from a doctor who used it gave more hope, but it involved a single case.

Eli Lilly and its collaborators are supposed to have lead candidates for antibody therapy. I am sure other companies have candidates too. Hope some pan out.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Eva Carneiro back at Chelsea? ... might explain was Pulis been erm 'sic for so long...

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or, it's a question of what your understanding of "we" and "fighting" is. Because in the US they aren't isolating.

https://apnews.com/fd1743f8b54b1731...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thing about pandemics is that everybody becomes responsible for everybody else, disgusting as it sounds. We cannot afford to give people a chance to be stupid, because we'll also be paying for their stupidity.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how can people self-quarantine if missing 1 day of work is detrimental to their overall existence?

the problem is lack of govt assistance for decades which Republicans fought against and Democrats compromised on. This is the result of the potential breakdown of our society

20. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Israel is supposedly close to announcing a vaccine according to this 'source'. Seems their government didn't politicize it and actually started working on it months ago. And we aint seen nothing yet here in Murica. The next 2 weeks are going to be a party. Denial catches up to you. Good luck getting that broken leg fixed anytime soon.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...rus-vaccine/articleshow/74592807.cms?from=mdr

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Very very highly unlikely. It does not matter how hard you work on this. The process of making a vaccine and testing it takes time. Even if someone handed out a vaccine in a bottle, you need to vaccinate people and let enough time pass you can tell vaccinated versus the control group. That takes more time than has elapsed (sorry Im a biomedical scientist and I'd like people to understand as much as possible).

Dirt McGirt, appwrangler and Winoman repped this.
  22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Lol. My god.

23. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just passing a story along. Honest question for you, Covid-19 has a 19 in it because it was known in 2019, correct? How long does one need?

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    People keep confusing two things that are entirely different: a vaccine to prevent the infection, and finding an antiviral to cure those already sick.

The former is still a year away, maybe a bit less if they jump some trials. The latter, we already have things that prove to work. The problem is that such antivirals tend to be rough on patients, so the old and weak cannot benefit from them without some modifications and special care.

Also, the most advanced antivirals are complex and expensive to produce. When you have a pandemic, having something that cures it but is also fast and cheap to manufacture it a must.

It's not the same fighting HIV (spreads all over, but goes slow) or Ebola (spreads fast like wildfire, but restricted to relatively small outbreaks) as fighting a cold virus (spreads all over, and fast like hell).

25. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go to war (fighting COVID19) with the military (antivirals and hospital beds) you have.

Our way out of this current mess is extreme social distancing for 30 days and I hope that the antivirals we have are provided to the ERs to help with the critically ill. And that Gilead and others are producing rapidly what they can.