Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Dear Chicken Little,

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Don't worry, we all know that CP does not like physical contacts on the field.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not you 40-somethings. You'll be ok. Mollycoddled whippersnappers.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which thread is this?

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm pretty sure it's the "CP hasn't played all year and now not even the team is playing so talk about whatever you want so long as the moderators allow it" thread.

That is to say it's become a pretty run-of-the-mill BS thread.

orcrist, FC Tallavana, russ and 2 others repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I stand corrected. You are correct, i should not have posted that. The death rate is 20x among the young. I admit, I'd looked at the numbers separately and thought they were the same, but that's just bad on my part. My point was mainly that treating this like a seasonal flu is a mistake because it is quite deadly for those over age 65, but it is far worse than the flu for everyone.

maroonlaw, Bruce S, FC Tallavana and 4 others repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    hey man, I said it before @Bruce S! Of course, he actually provided data unlike me.

maroonlaw and mschofield repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Non-virus post. The Guardian has a number of interesting pieces on whether or not the season will be resumed. We're still three months out from the expected peak in the UK, so the odds are against it. As for playing in empty stadia, there are questions about whether ad rates and sponsorships apply if no one is there in person. The clubs that maintain a global presence can argue that broadcast was always the way most people saw the ads, but that doesn't apply to most clubs. Also player contracts expire on June 30, for those not tied down beyond this season.
    While it's easy to say Chelsea would be happy to cut the season short and accept their fourth place finish, it wouldn't be accepted by ManU or Sheffield or Arsenal, who believe they have a shot to overtake Chelsea (or manu is the city suspension holds).
    But that's small peanuts compared to the problems faced in promotion and especially relegation. And below the prem. lack of gate and game revenue, while facing relegation and employee pay, might mean a lot of clubs being shuttered at this point.
    Given the projections on the virus spread, it seems unlikely the European seasons will start up again before May and probably June and that might be optimistic.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #32359 Suyuntuy, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Playing behind closed doors = fans get together outside the stadium, in pubs, or even in someone's home. Not good.

Now, thanks to Toronto researchers, they have the way to grow the virus in isolation. That is good, and a solid step to testing a possible vaccine --and the Chinese, who were exposed first, are ready to start trials next month, followed close by the Israelis.

The trick to nip it in the bud is to have mass immunizations before the virus has had the chance to spread widely and do what coronaviruses are so good at doing: mutate. But that needs all three trial phases completed, of course. So it's at best still 3-4 months away.

By then it's possible it's slowed down considerably, with the change of weather (coronaviruses usually don't like warm, sunny days, but this one might be different).

Winoman and mschofield repped this.
  10. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are already rolling, but the practical timeline seems to be longer than 3-4 mo, at least according to the NIH.
    March 12, 2020

11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought it was about a dude named Christian Pulisic playing for big club in Europe. Latest relevant topic being his imminent return from injury to support his club's CL ambitions for next season; their next game being..................?????????

Perhaps we should start a pool on when Pulisic actually plays his next club game (next month ? , next season ? , next year ?)

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're thinking of the Bigsoccer website. this is Bigvirus

Lloyd Heilbrunn, Golazo69, russ and 3 others repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One month ago Big Pharma was the ultimate evil enemy of the people. Today everyone waits for Big Pharma to save us.

DeCoverley and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it still is

tomásbernal, striker and laxcoach repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't save us without a tidy profit.

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, why does it sound so certain that there will even be a vaccine or cure? There is no real way to treat the flu or cold, you have to let them run there course, maybe only shortening the length of time to recovery. There is no 100% vaccine, just a flu vaccine which will reduce you chance, not a real immunization. Look at HIV and how long that has been around, no magic pill.

Is there something about Covid-19 that is different which makes a solid vaccine or effective treatment possible?​

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I guess, and I am not an expert, is that the fact that it is not the same as other things makes it different from those things that it is not the same as.

IOW, science.

And speaking of science, how long until we eat Reyna. Pulisic has become stringy.

russ repped this.
  18. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no at best we are 12 months out from a full vaccine

perhaps human trials with FDA blessing in 3-6 months.

Nearer term hope might be PPP out of darpa and an RNA treatment.

Only near term choice is collective extreme social distancing

no other choice

containment is gone

This is about mitigation now.

matabala and mschofield repped this.
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The common flu virus changes every year and requires a new vaccine every year. The lead time for vaccine production is such that by the time efficacy is known, it is too late to improve upon it for that year. There are probably other scientific reasons as well.

It is not known whether or not covid-19 will change the way the common flu virus does. Regardless, it is likely to be at least possible to create a vaccine that is as effective against covid-19 as the yearly vaccines are against common flu, that is, in the 40-60% range. Better than nothing.

striker repped this.
  20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Never underestimate the ability of the rich to make money during a crisis. There might just be a made-for-tv tournament in an empty stadium that will sort everything out. The broadcast rights for it would be astronomical because everyone will be so starved for television sports.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Spain just hit the bump: 60 dead in one day.

It keeps like this, forget regular procedure: they'll expedite the vaccine.

This one is too scary to follow protocols. And yes, there is a chance any vaccine is barely effective.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I believe that whether it works well or not, or has been proven safe or not, most people of a certain age will have some sort of a vaccine injected into them before the fall.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they will not.

I don't understand where some of this fantasy comes from.

Even with the virus fully sequenced and understood - it takes time to prototype a vaccine .. get limited testing done ... then get it into the FDA process .. complete that process and review it and then to get it through the FDA and finally be prepared to mass produce it. Even if it is free.

12 months is optimistic. Just the truth.

ebbro, Winoman, striker and 4 others repped this.
  24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Wrong again Tonto

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Once upon a time I worked at USAMRIID in Ft. Detrick, so I know a little bit about this process. All I am saying is that the process will change. The government will take risks it would not normally take in order to try to prevent the collapse of, well, pretty much everything. We will not go into a second winter of this virus without trying something, particularly for people who are most vulnerable.