Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t just play, he was pretty key for PSV in that run- believe he was their leading CL goal scorer. He had a good season for them that year.

2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    and he even scoresda goal in that CL season, but I am not sure that he played in the semi or final match,

3. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    is puli ever gonna play again or is it over for him? 21 is old in soccer years.

4. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Has anyone seen shots of CP sitting in the stand in recent games? I have not.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm not giving up on his career yet, but if he doesn't play is this weekend's massive fixture at Bournemouth, I just might.

wsmaugham and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #32056 KALM, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Kirovski played in two Champions League matches the year that Dortmund won the trophy, both in the group stage, and both as a late sub. He did not score a goal that year.

He played in three Champions League matches the following year, again all three in the group stage. He did start one of those games (Dortmund's last group stage game after they had already secured qualification to the next round), and he did score in that game.

I know Kirovski's name gets brought up a lot in these conversations, because he technically won a Champions League medal, but his minutes in the tournament always seemed more a way of helping a promising young player develop, rather than relying on him for a serious contribution.

Here is, by the way, a list of Americans who have started in the knockout stages of the Champions League:

John O'Brien (Ajax) - QF
    Damarcus Beasley (PSV) - SF
    Landon Donovan (Bayer Leverkusen) - Round of 16
    Tim Howard (Manchester United) - Round of 16
    Jermaine Jones (Schalke) - QF
    Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund) - Started in Round of 16; Appeared in QF
    Weston McKennie (Schalke) - Round of 16

Gio Reyna (who has already appeared in the knockout stages) and Tyler Adams could yet add to that list before the end of this season.

I don't think anyone else would be added to that list if you expanded it to include subs, but I'm not positive about that.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering this too. I saw CHO in street clothes sitting right behind the players' bench so figured it was weird CP wasn't there as well.

8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He’s in Finland getting some sort of exotic treatment involving ice and fish oil

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Twitter is alight with conspiracy theories and people who report to have seen him out and about. But it's Twitter.

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    It's all fine as long as he does not fly to Milan to get a face mask.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Reporters don't even ask Lamp about his injury updates either. They do ask about CHO and RLC.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Who do we need to sacrifice in order to get Christian healthy enough to join the March camp and play with Reyna

13. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    This is just not true. Lol. He is regularly asked about Pulisic in every interview. British media is even more dramatic about him than this place/American media.

striker and ebbro repped this.
  14. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Was he at Chipotle, or maybe Shake Shack with Hazard? I kid. Regardless, him being "out and about" doesn't mean he can play.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I believe @lmorin has a very effective reverse jinx. It got adams back on the field (all too briefly)

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic put out an article entitled: "Chelsea are not panicking just yet. But Pulisic's return cannot come soon enough"

https://theathletic.com/1639075/2020/02/27/christian-pulisic-chelsea-bayern/

I don't subscribe... so I can only guess at the content. I did find it quite odd in the aftermath of the Bayern drubbing that many sources were glossing over the fact that Chelsea were w/o 4 of their best players [Kante, CP, CHO, RLC] and Tammy is not at 100%. The Grumpy Pundits contended that no one on the Chelsea squad would be a starter for Bayern. It is hard to argue about that... even w/ the injured players... perhaps only Kante would be starting for Bayern... but I think Chelsea could beat them if they were healthy.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it should be after he said he was 100% when he really wasn’t.

russ repped this.
  18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    One thing you forgetting.

I don't think Lamp would quality to manage Bayern. Not just the players, but the coaching as well, Bayern was a class above. Their coaching staff did the homework on Chelsea and got the best of it. I am bit scare for Chelsea on the return leg.

19. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Well they won't have Lewy which is a big loss. Chelsea won't score 3 goals though so, it'll be interesting to see if he just parks a bus (what he should have done vs Bayern given the players he had imo) or gives reserve players some experience since they need to focus on getting top 4 in order to attract better talent in the summer/next season.

20. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The most relevant piece from the article:

“On that front, however, the news is more positive: sources have told The Athletic that Pulisic is nearing a return to first-team training after almost two months on the sidelines with a thigh injury, and is confident of being able to make a meaningful contribution to the defining stretch of Chelsea’s top-four campaign in the Premier League.”

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You better not be making this up just to boost Athletic subscriptions!!! :mad:

Edit: But assuming you're on the up-and-up, thanks for some good news, finally, at long last.

Method, ChrisSSBB and DeCoverley repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Too late to be scared now, it's over. Chelsea is not going to beat Bayern by 3 or more. I don't really believe it is fair to get too critical of Frank with the squad he has available to him. They are about a mid table PL club with their talent level. To date they have over performed. Teams that play wwhere Chelsea wants to play have two legit starters at most spots, where as Chelsea has holes in their best 11, and have injury woes this season on top of injury woes.

23. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Cut and pasted, not a shill. Lol.

Had been mulling over a subscription for awhile. Bit the bullet when they had a year for $30 or so. Some good stuff on there. (Repeat: no affiliation)

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea would do well do apply their energy to securing a top 4 spot in league. They aren't overturning 3-0 at Allianz no matter game plan and health of players.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he's right, that doesn't actually mean much...unless he's suggesting there aren't a whole host of logical reasons for Lampard to give Mount more time than CP in general at that early stage?

Which there were.