Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Huge win for Chelski in their push to prove me wrong...

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Their next 3 EPL games are pretty favorable. Bournemouth, Everton, and Villa.

2 bottom table teams, and a mid table team. Should get at least 6 points from those 3 games.

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve been losing those games all year.

ChicagoVT and Moishe repped this.
  4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Does anyone have an idea of when Pulisic will play again? Each week there seems to be more bad news. Is he going to play again this season???

5. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Mount is definitely among CP competition, specially on the 2 attacking spot behind the striker but he simply doesn't score enough...He has the same amount of goals as CP while having played twice as many minutes.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    My head tells me he'll be back soon, possibly early next month, and that Lamps is going to keep it quiet as a surprise because information is power.

My gut tells me Lamps is fine with Puli not being around and is perfectly fine with him taking his time to completely recover until the summer, when he expects to bring in players he likes better (=English).

adi21, wsmaugham and dspence2311 repped this.
  7. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    He seems pretty excited about Ziyech, and last time I checked the guy isn't English and has never even played in England. I have no idea how Lampard rates Pulisic, but I have a hunch, whether it's positively or negatively, it has nothing to do with his nationality. he wants players that will win games.

mschofield and striker repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    The race for the 4th spot is pretty tight, up to 5/6 teams in the race.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am equally lacking in direct knowledge of how Frank rates Pulisic, but I have a hunch that, like most humans, his ratings are influenced by biases that don’t map objectively onto his value on the pitch. I suspect nationality and a bunch of other characteristics play into those in ways Frank (like all of us) is unaware of.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is called confirmation basis and it is quite real

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    The entire first chapter of "The Undoing Project" is about sports applications of biases identified by the Nobel-winning subject of the book.

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This quote from Lampard yesterday is the most recent (non) update:

“Christian Pulisic is still not fit. I can’t give you an exact date. It’s a difficult injury and we’re working on that.”

smokarz repped this.
  13. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Still, saying stuff like "I bet frank hopes he never comes back" or whatever is honestly embarrassing.

ChicagoVT, ebbro and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Agree.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's okay, there's no reason to feel embarrassed. We're actually quite well adapted to harmless errors in capitalization and pronoun ambiguity.

MtnGardener repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You just want to believe that.

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually not at all. But I would say that in Germany young American players get a good look, but in England not so much. Frank was in the states with NYCFC and he may just not have that good of an opinion of an American player. Contrast that with a young, quick, and smaller player (Pulisic) he inherits - and it actually makes sense to me that he might have a little bias against him. So what. Even with some confirmation bias - much is up to Pulisic to succeed or fail here. I am still more concerned with his fragility at this point. I am old enough to remember when JOB could no longer play. Such a travesty. I hope that does not happen here.

dspence2311 repped this.
  18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I think he was making a witty response to your comment about confirmation bias and not on the content of your viewpoint.

Kinda his thing.

19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

JOB damn...what could have been

20. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    This is true. But before you get out of hand, remember young English talent doesn't get a good look in England either. Phil Foden has ~630 minutes in the Premier League, he turns 20 in May. Sancho went to BVB to get minutes. How good is Sancho, and he couldn't get time on the field?

russ, ChicagoVT and smokarz repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

True. CHO did not get much minutes until late last season. EPL just don't play 17 or 18 year old.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your gut is a byproduct of a poor diet.

23. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    If Pulisic could have stayed healthy like Mount all season he would no doubt be playing and starting just as much as Mount and Willian. Chelsea's offense has suffered since Pulisic went down with his injury. Pulisic is able to stress the defense in ways that no other player on Chelsea's current roster can. He obviously has his pitfalls too, but Lampard would love to have him healthy.

Ziyech has some pretty large similarties to Pulisic. Likes to play on the wing opposite of his dominate foot and cut in to score (in his case RW and cut in on his left foot). Can play a 10 role. Pushes the offense to create havoc on the defense, but also gets dispossesed a lot trying to make things happen. Also physically they are similar, short and light weight. Point being, Ziyech seems similar enough to Pulisic that if Lampard disliked Pulisic and his skillset so much, why would he bring in a similar player like Ziyech. Plans are probably to play them on opposite wings next year.

24. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I could see him playing Ziyech centrally too, since they lack creativity through the middle. Anyway, Pulisic's worst enemy is himself right now (rather his inability to stay healthy enough to be on the pitch consistently, rather as a starter or sub), not Lampard.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But in this case, Pulisic was getting a great look. You can say there is evidence that Lamps doesn't like to play injured players and is biased against them in the 18, but that's about it.
    Lamps seemed quite happy when Pulisic found his feet, before he lost the other bits.
    That his nationality is holding him back is classic BS bs, but there is a potential bias at work. Pulisic isn't viewed so much as an American as he is seen as a really expensive player brought in by the last guy. One way to get an owner to give you more money to spend in the coming window is to make it known that the last idiot bought idiotically. how can i win with these kids, kind of thing. I don't think that is playing out here, though. Pulisic was playing, and Lamps was happy with him.

russ, ebbro, smokarz and 2 others repped this.