Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    This article title is so funny on many different levels. So called journalists these days. Lol

"Kante out as Lampard plots Mourinho's downfall"

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least I get credit for not being a creepy stalker. Ha.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, not in the squad today.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    That may be the worst VAR review yet...

5. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    #31880 PaulGascoigne, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Not sure about the worst ever, but it was pretty obvious. Of course, the VAR "expert" on BT Sport agreed with the no red card decision. He said something like "If he'd have really wanted to hurt him, he would have definitely aimed higher on the leg."

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ouch!

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being a creepy stalker isn't a "bonus". It's the minimum--no credit due.

appwrangler and jnielsen repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how's tthe club been in his absence?

9. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    They just reviewed the VAR and NOW they agree that he should have been sent off.

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    VAR people just admitted they made an error

20 minutes later

I don’t even know what to say.

ChicagoVT, appwrangler and Winoman repped this.
  11. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Because VAR didn't catch it at the time, there's no possibility of a retrospective red card, apparently.

12. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Record wise, they are 5-3-2 in all competitions without him. Two of those wins are the FA Cup.

13. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    They probably had to win today. They have two games against Liverpool and one against Man City still to play. Although once Liverpool clinch Liverpool might just focus on CL

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A good game for Chelsea, Lampard and Pulisic, I feel.

For Chelsea, a 2-1 victory, so some of the clowns here can get off my back. I don't root against Chelsea when Pulisic is out, but the reason I follow Chelsea at all is because CP is there, and what interests me is CP's development. If winning is helpful for that particular purpose, I'm all for it. Note: it's hard to develop while injured.

For Lampard, a victory, plus enough formation/personnel changes to keep opposing teams honest. Still benching the overpriced GK. Started Giroud, who scored the first goal, then got Abraham in for the final 20'. Started Alonso , who scored the second goal and was threatening throughout.

For Pulisic, no goals from his main competition for playing time. No Pedro, no CHO in sight; Willian played just the last 15 minutes. Mount was active and productive; Barkley started - but that's okay, somebody had to.

A couple of impressive side notes: For the first time ever, at least in the Premier League, but perhaps in all leagues, a Mourinho-managed side lost both home-and-away matches in league play. Tottenham have won just 1 of their last 34 matches at Chelsea (in all competitions).

15. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you

mind boggling non red straight out of the gate

in close clear view of the ref

who should have gone to sideline screen to re look

and not even a yellow

the mistake was incredible

it was like they decided to say that one plus one equals three

a VAR call like that reverberates around the soccer world as an example of gross incompetence

did not matter in the end - Lampard and the entire team really displayed a great total team performance

diablodelsol and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Not sure why you don’t consider mount his competition. The more crowded the side gets especially with RLC coming back to fitness, mount could be slotted into a winger role and has played there.

17. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Our boy should be able to get right back on the field when he gets healthy. There is no question of his quality. Or, there shouldn't be. Staying healthy is key to his or any other athlete's success and longevity. It is disturbing that our players are experiencing so many injuries, but that's sports. When we finally get everyone back long term with no problems, there will be other things to cry about. But til then, watch and enjoy the guys playing. MLS starts soon!

TimB4Last repped this.
  18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Great results for Chelsea today. Much needed win.

EPL VAR is the worse. They should learn from the BL and CL.

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL VAR is trash. They almost ********ed Chelsea again. At least they didn’t cost the 3 this time.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Someone else here can probably explain this better than I can, but ...

Mount and Pulisic are quite different players and have different strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure how often this this season one has been subbed in directly for the other, for example.

Lampard favors Mount for many reasons, much discussed in previous posts here, so I feel it's unproductive to view them (CP and MM) as direct competitors. If/when Pulisic returns this season, he'll return as a wide player, I believe, in an area he holds the advantage.

Agree with the general idea that the more Chelsea's talented players return to full fitness, the more competitive it becomes - for Pulisic, Mount and everyone else - to get playing time.

wsmaugham repped this.
  21. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    Puli getting months long injuries two seasons in a row is really tough. Missed so many games he would have starred in.

22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re VAR - read a tweet, that I really don’t want to believe, that prem refs are purposely dicking up VAR decisions in an attempt to kill it. Notice the bitching is about VAR...not the individuals responsible for the individual decisions.

I really don’t want to believe that.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google" Al Riveron NFL pass interference".You will believe.

24. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard this afternoon a bit of an English football show on SiriusXM radio. A well-known retired Prem ref (Graham Poll, IIRC) expressed the opinion that "THE FOUL" should have been a straight red, that if it was a foul during play (serious foul play) it is not reviewable after the game, that if it is deemed to have been violent conduct, it is reviewable. Graham Poll thought it was violent conduct. The FIFA Law 12 gives the definition of violent conduct as, "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball."

Winoman repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i didnt catch the game, what happened/