Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mount doing enough mount things to guarantee his starting place but at least from the 8? they are desperate for more creativity but not sure pulisic isn’t gonna need more help too

2. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Completely disagree. The VARs were correct, regardless of how close the calls were.

As far as hitting the post, that didn’t happen until damn near the 90th minute.

I will agree that there is a case for a red card for the kicking out, but even that was objective.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? The first goal a Chelsea player was forearm shivered in the back by a United player, which sent him flying into another United player. That call was OBVIOUSLY incorrect. And as for a guy kicking a guy in the nuts being objective … well yes, it was OBJECTIVELY a red. You mean to say subjective. But if kicking someone in the nuts purposely doesn't warrant a red card, we need to just do away with red cards. The ref gifted United the game. This had nothing to do with Pulisic being out.

Edit: Hell, they are showing this SAME REF call a red against Son from December for a LESS egregious kickout. What a joke the PL refereeing is.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31779 EruditeHobo, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Son being a bad red card call doesn’t make Maguires call wrong. Son call was bad.

Azpi used both arms to shove a player... hardly some obvious 50/50 situation. Don’t reach out with both arms of you don’t want that called. Fred gave him contact sure, but didn’t shove with both arms. Can’t complain about that.

Don’t push with both hands, easy fix.

markandrew78 repped this.
  5. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Pretty stupid to do that with replay/VAR.

Gacm32, Dr.Phil and EruditeHobo repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #31781 freisland, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Chelski (41 gd 7) home v Spurs (40)
    Man U (38 gd 9) home v Watford (- a hundredity billion or 24)
    Sheff U (39) home v Brighton (27)

Chelski needs to win next week to stay in the CL slot. They're 9 back of Lester.

Still don't see them ending up the season in the Europe money.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea were a bit hard done by, United had a couple headed goals they pulled out of their asses but honestly I didn’t think they were very dangerous looking.

Chelsea meanwhile seemed to be carving United up for much of the game and looked more likely winners, but the final ball just was not consistently there at all.

8. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    I’m not saying that Pulisic would have an effect on the game. My position is that this was a shit game. Full stop.

And I stand by my opinion that Chelsea is not a good team. They have zero depth, they haven’t beaten a quality team, and the young players that they rely on have been hit/miss.

This isn’t a top 4 team, and there’s an argument to be made that if they are even a top 6-7 Europa team.

freisland repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Defense will be the death of them.

10. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Agree. But you know who all their fans want them to sign...Sancho. As if Sancho is going to fix their defensive, keeper, or midfield deficiencies.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and vice versa

12. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I think their lack of finishing is a bigger problem than the defense, personally. The midfield is solid enough. Sancho is probably a class above any other forward/winger they have. Feel bad for Giroud, he has been treated very poorly.

13. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lampard also just confirmed that CP won’t play this Saturday against Tottenham.

14. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Exactly. Chelsea played well. Giroud should have come on for Michy much sooner than he did... or maybe even started. Their biggest problem is finishing, not the defense, not the midfield, not Kepa.

striker and Gacm32 repped this.
  15. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Did you see what they did to Spurs? We get it, you don't like them. To act like CP is too good for them is laughable though.

16. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Are the Spurs the benchmark? Or the only benchmark?

And where did I say/act like CP is too good for them? Again, with or without CP, this is not a good team.

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maguire should have been thrown out. That was blatant. That would have changed the whole match. And the VAR of the corner should have resulted in a no call and a goal.

But yes regardless CP would have been extremely helpful in this match.

He needs to get healthy.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    So CP isn’t match fit yet?

19. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    It’s amazing how people can see things so differently. Azpi got shoved with a lot of force by Fred with a forearm to the back (shouldn’t matter if it was one or two arms). The momentum caused by the Fred shove carried Azpi into the other ManU player, thus he put his hands up to brace for contact as he was watching the ball come in to get his head on it. Completely obvious foul by Fred. Even more obvious on replay, it’s a disgrace the VAR officials missed this and the McGuire one. Slab head clearly extends his leg into Bats. Live it’s hard to see but again, very easy to see under slow mo replay. Just pathetic VAR BS.

truefan420 repped this.
  20. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    OK, things are getting bad here. Pulisic has been out for so long (after being out for so long last season) and he won't return for another week, if that.

Don't get me wrong. He's my favorite US player of all time. The injuries bother me.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it shouldn’t, but it does. The optics of it are bad for Azpi and the bare minimum you have to ask is did he need to raise both arms to take Williams out of the play?

The nature of the call is going to be split, because it’s a complicated play that requires interpretation... but yeah, the two hands, ANY time you do that you’re opening the door for the refs to call YOU out, and it does look worse than the guy that just collapses into you using one arm.

Agree to disagree.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Lamps is getting figured out big time.

smokarz and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As it stands, isn't Tot currently in the last CL slot. I don't doiubt that City will win their appeal and make that not the case, but I also wouldn't put money on that victory.
    And, as for Chelsea falling out of that final spot, f-me. I could not care less about their fortunes, but I'm pretty sure the Blades qualifying for a CL spot is an apocolyptic sign.

freisland repped this.
  24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, it's just crazy to me that they don't see that. They've got more than enough firepower when healthy to do the job. They just need to stop leaking goals.

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not so sure. Chelsea outplayed Man U for most of the game.... the system looks pretty good... just have very little quality in the final 3rd. CP, CHO and Tammy out? That is a talented group that could help finish off runs. One thing I am not sure of though w/ respect to Frank is his propensity to bench players. I think he does it to "light a fire" under them but it can come at the cost of a result. At any rate, if you add Ziyech, Sancho and a backup striker that can actually hit the target... subtract Pedro, Giroud and Bats. I think that might make Frank look a lot better.

Regarding CP not playing against Tot... if he is healthy enough to train with the U23s then I am not at all sure why he wouldn't get a bench spot and come on as a sub.?.? Not saying his absence is the whole story, but this team has absolutely fallen apart since he got injured. Perhaps they just want to make sure that he doesn't re-injure it so they are taking it slow. At this point I am not sure it matters that much because I am just going to assume the guy can't get thru a half-season until he proves that he can do so. This is starting to become a serial for him.