RFK: Post reports wrong outfield measurements

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mpruitt, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Looks like the folks down at RFK have had some trouble properly measuring a baseball field too. I dont' see ths anywhere else so I figured I'd post it. I know that it's not the same as screwing up the angles of a soccer field, but was intersting to me none the less.
    Errors in the Outfield

2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    To put the correct DC spin on it they were 96% accurate so give 'em an A in measurin'.

3. AB727

AB727 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Yes, but if we're grading on a curve, and every other stadium out there gets 100% (or darn close), that gives RFK an F.

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    according to an article I read on this problem (may have been the same article, I didn't click the link) the problem wasn't with mis-measuring the distance, but with misplacing the pads on the outfield fence. The 380 pads were placed too far out toward center field, and were adjusted to their correct positions after the error was found.

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's what they said the problem was, or at least how they corrected it. I'm not sure if there's any guidelines in how or where outfield fences are marked but I would think that usually they're there to mark 'power alleys.' A 'power alley' would be one particular place wouldn't it? And they apparently just decided to move the numbers to the right place to correct the measurement problem....

I suppose that's understandable if they're assembling and disassembling the wall but seems like a weak excuse to me.

6. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    Did anyone consider Project Mayhem involvement now that the Gnats have taken RFK away from the US Soccer pool of possible stadiums for qualifiers?

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Project Mayhem? :cool:

8. roachboy

roachboy New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Baile atha cliath
    Don't give a fvck. :D :p

9. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    i

It doesn't exist

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repeat after me: there is no Project Mayhem.

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Yeah, pretty much.

12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    project mayhem

fight club

watch it

good movie

if you're drunk

or stoned

or both

oh and edward norton is a damn good actor

there was a post about the nationals outfield mismeasuring a few weeks back

13. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia
    Nope:
    Guatemalans protest Project Mayhem
    From this week's never-thought-you'd-see-it file, check out the protest filed by the Guatemalan soccer federation with the FIFA game commissioner. At their hotel the night before the game, the Guatemalans formally charge, "We felt accosted and disturbed by groups of American fans, who in a violent form intended to enter the rooms of our players, and who were stopped by forces in charge of security for the Guatemalan delegation."

As someone who was on hand at the hotel in the wee hours of last Sunday morning (read my article in Sports Illustrated this week for more details), I can safely say that the 15 American soccer fans of Project Mayhem only intended to make noise, not war, when they descended onto the Guatemalans' hotel floor carrying air horns and other noisemakers. They simply wanted to wake up their visitors, and they had no desire for a security goon to kick and shove U.S. fans (and yours truly, I might add) and later pull out a stun gun, which he fired in the air but (thankfully) did not use.

But then conflict is par for the course between the U.S. and Guatemala, which have exchanged protests this year like two silly little boys running endlessly back to their mothers. After their original meeting in Guatemala in July, the Guatemalans filed a protest with FIFA over the eligibility of U.S. midfielder Armas, while the Americans filed protests over the late switch in venue and a change in the game ball that took place the day of the contest.

Besides the protest against the American fans last weekend, the Guatemalans also lodged complaints about not being allowed to do a walk-through at RFK the day before the game (U.S. Soccer says they were in fact allowed) and about having the pre-game technical meeting site changed to the U.S. team hotel. (It had rained, U.S. Soccer says, forcing the change.)

Not one of the protests has been upheld so far, which means both sides are simply wasting their time. Yet the Guatemalans' protest against the U.S. fans does reveal one thing: Despite the Central Americans' claims that the noise-making didn't bother them, it did -- a lot, in fact. And that in itself is a victory for Project Mayhem.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/2000/09/03/glance/

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I'm confused. Why would project mayhem want to mess with the RFK measurements?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nope, just some guy who got blocks of tickets from the USSF under the guise of being a U.S. Supporters group then turned around and sold them to Hondurans on eBay. :rolleyes:

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I find really funny is the fact that the players are crying like whiny little girls about 4 or 5 feet here and there when Frank Howard and Mickey Mantle used to knock the f*** out of the ball into the upper deck on a regular basis***

***On beer and hotdogs

17. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    FYP