RFK due to retain prime soccer seating

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dave Brother, Oct 22, 2004.

1. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    They are expected the RFK field to handle about 100 combined home games and constant stadium reconfigurations. The pitcher's mound will be inserted and removed repeatedly and will temporary seating.

I'll be surprised if the field holds up. Everyone has seen what happens at HFStival.

I suspect we'll have FieldTurf in season 2.

2. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone does, we'll need to get them an eye exam PRONTO! But I do like the idea of trampolines. no seats at all just big trampolines.

And I trust any entity of DC gov't about as far as I can throw them. Which isn't very far. So until there is something signed, sealed, and delivered, I'm a skeptic, however right now, a happy one!

3. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    The other way to look at is: Think how funny a baseball diamond will look with soccer lines painted all over it. :)

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Cuing ...

5. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I have briefly followed the issue of RFK. Why not move out to FedEx field? The field should be fine no? And although that stadium is massive, I'm sure it will be better for DC United in terms of field quality in the near future, until you guys get a stadium in 2007 or 08.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FedEx field, due to the two or three extra front rows added in the last three years, is too narrow to play soccer on.

Also, Daniel Snyder would charge United and its fans out the wazoo to use his precious stadium, Im sure.

7. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    FedEx = no real metro access
    have to deal with the devil Daniel Schneider
    cost prohibitive - Dannie doesn't do anything unless its for the good of his own pocket

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I have heard the field is too narrow as well...

btw. havent had time to look at the article but what is the status of la norte?

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    LN spot next year :D

[​IMG]

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the only way La Norte gets screwed is if they move the East/3rd Base seats between Baseball and soccer configurations and do not put up the stands behind the goal.

But I think LN will be just fine with the sections that are currently around midfield, while the rest of us have folding chairs or something.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    RFK Stadium (knows as Washington Stadium when it was built in 1961 or so) was designed to be a football/baseball stadium, and was the first one ever in the world. Others followed suit, like Pittsburgh's Three Rivers, Philadelphia's Veterans', and others all over the country. Most (if not all) "convertible" stadiums have been demolished. We're lucky that the same thing didn't happen to RFK after the Redskins left.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Baseball series that go into weekends typically run from Thursdays through Sundays. I think we'll probably have every other weekend at home since we have to share with the baseball team. If the "Expos" (or whatever they end up being named) play a Sunday afternoon game, the stadium people would have six days to get the stadium ready for a Saturday night soccer game.

Bottom line is that people can quit worrying. Whatever they come up with will be fine, and in the long run we'll get our own soccer specific stadium at Poplar Point.

It could be worse. We could be Fusion or Mutiny fans.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is just not true. It's too narrow to play a World Cup Finals game on, but it wouldn't be any tighter than Spartan Stadium.

Ideal? No.
    Doable? Yes.

But moot. United will be at RFK.

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't really know. We were sorta thinking you were going to be joining us, but now it looks like we won't have to move.

Sachin

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    not to mention Metros :p

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so optimistic since we sit right on top of the 3rd base dugout. :(

17. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

Don't they charge $25 for parking?

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burn in hell.

Okay, maybe that was a little harsh. Burn in FedEx.

There are only two choices for DC United: RFK or a SSS. I refuse to be run out of our home just because some rich pimp bought it. DC is a rent control city. We ain't goin' nowhere until we're ready.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    How come we get all the brilliant avant garde crap, like the only airport in the world with "mobile lounges?"

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Reading the article initially, I read that to mean that the entire area of moving seats generated that revenue, not just the supporter's sections.

How many SE/BB are there? a few hundred? $90,000 divided by $20 (non-supporter Tickets there are $22, but less for season ticket holders) is 4500. There's no way the supporters sell 4500 tickets a game (or do they and I'm just a blithering idiot?). The movable seats are roughly 1/3 of the lower bowl, so that would put them at somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8k seats. That sounds about right for the 90k figure, since the seats are rarely entirely full.

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You forgot to factor in the beer $$. That's gotta be 50 K right there. :D

22. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I thought United got squadoosh from concessions at RFK?

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They get a small (And I mean SMALL) percentage of parking and concessions.

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    well then my initial estimates stand. :p

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe the team gets the recycling dollar from all of the empty beer cans and bottles. :rolleyes: