[RFK 9/21, WWC] Calling all USA Fans

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Sep 15, 2003.

1. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Sachin- is still famous, congrats!

"One wonders how Sachin Shah, 31, got through the security checkpoint with the huge bass drum that sat in the middle of the group of the flag-wearing "Sam's Army."

Shah was gripping a beer at 11 o'clock, 90 minutes before gametime. His crew arrived an hour earlier, toting the drum and a huge U.S. flag that they draped over three rows of chairs.

"We are here to support the U.S. team, whether it be men's, women's or kids. We're here for them," said Shah, who lives in Arlington, Va., and works as a consultant when he's not playing the role of an avid fan. "

http://www.newsday.com/sports/socce...,0,3441711.story?coll=sns-ap-soccer-headlines

2. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Yeah but US women fans suck. People looked at us as if we did something forbidden. Ok they dont suck, but they are nowhere near the level of the soccer team the support. Kind of reminded me like the first US mens game I went to back in 1992.

It was cool we transfered to the upperlevel. Thank you again Sanchin for doing a good job with LA Norte.

3. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    we were in the upper decks because we got kicked out of the section we were in (116 - supposedly Sams Army Section). apparently some parents couldn't hear what there kids were saying and didn't like the confetti so the complained to the security guards to the point we were told to stop or move. As a result we went to the upper decks right under the overhang and let it fly. I walked over to the other side of the stadium and could hear us going to town. We even got the Korean Fans to join in with us.

So even thought they kicked us out of the section they could stop us or shut us. They still had to deal with us the entire game.

As a side note, apparently some of the fans were ready to call the Police because our exuberance and cheering and drumming constantly was harassing them.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Marshall and Sachin up there, and we almost went over several times, but only made it as far as the beer man..... The South Korean fans were great, those guys (and Sachin's drum, I believe) rocked all 90 minutes, even though their team gave them nothing to cheer about. Maybe it was from being mesmorized by the extremely bright colors of their uniforms, glad I brought sunglasses :)
    The drums in the upper level like that made the whole stadium sound louder than usual.

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Down in 125 there were people ready to commit violence against a couple of girls who stood when there was action on our side of the field. Pretty pathetic actually...especially because one of the main complainers spent the entire USA game reading her program (when she was bothered to be in her seat rather than in the concourse).

6. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

The storm of justice that is La Norte cannot be stopped. All those yuppies did was awaken the fell beast of the Northside to unleash a rain of vengeance upon them...all right, enough Aqua Teen Hunger Force lines form me.

I had a much better time in the upper deck than with the supposed "fans" in Sam's Army who had us kicked out. If the parents were that concerned about a "disruptive" environment, they should've left their kids in the section and pulled up some folding chairs in the concourse. In retrospect, we should've started the "Chill Out!" chant like we did last year at the Boca match.

The SK contingent put the supposed American "supporters" to shame. Whole families were chanting, singing, clapping thundersticks; it was beautiful. They even drummed with our beat during the US match. We were more than happy to drum with them for their match. That's what soccer's all about; not just sitting in your seat and coldly watching a game with no pride in your nation whatsoever. I'm sure there was a lot of support for the US girls away from our section, but for the most part, people need to pull the stick outta their asses and show some love.

7. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    For what's it worth, I drove, and it took about 2 minutes to get from the BW parkway to Lot 8. Seems like the operational issues from the AC Milan / Barcelona game were all resolved.

8. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    sounds awesome, and i think those stories about parents flippin out are hilarious. I dont know why they just make me laugh, its how it used to be at my grade school basketball games when i started some chants. no everyone is cool with it except a couple parents.

so if we got any more stories keep em coming, and pics from YCJ?

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    When La Norte moved to the upper deck, I went to my ticketed seat in 136 and had a nice time talking with my the people around me. They were knowledgeable about the game and the team. The best part was that the first two US goals were scored at that end (not to mention the Swedish right back in front of me for the first half).

One difference I noticed from the 1999 crowds was that they were now able to appreciate good play. When the US switched the point of attack with a crossfield ball or made a good tackle, the crowd applauded.

For the second game I sat with DaniD and Publius and marvelled at the Korean fans. Publius had been in Korea and said "Now imagine 40,000 people doing that."

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that, too.

Along with a lot less shrieking anytime a particular player had the ball at her feet.

11. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003

The whole thing was ridiculous. I definitly agree about Korean fans putting us to shame. Even before we got pushed into rafters the so-called SA group was pretty weak. There were lots of guys wearing the SA shirts who wern't into the chearing or even standing for that matter. Does anyone know how non-SA folks got into a section that I thought was supposed to be reserved for us anyway?
    While I feel like those who moved up did a great job, the whole idea of what we do is to inspire both the crowd and the players through passionate support something that both the drums and a large presance near the field requires.
    On another note where was everybody- it seems from this thread that quite a few regulars were scattered throughout the stadium-you guys would have been very useful especially if in our confrontation with security we had been supported by enough people maybe we could have stayed

12. socca1531

socca1531 New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Rochester
    I was up in 529 and nearly had my mom talked into going down into the SA section... until she heard how loud you were! So thank you very much. The crowd wasn't bad, especially when everyone got into the USA clapping. I wanted to stay for the Korea game but we had to drive back to rochester for school today... yuck

13. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All props to Sachin and his mob for the continuous noise they made in support of the US. We sat in 416 and were pleasantly surprised when you all relocated just above us and to the left. (The same cannot be said for the suburbanites who sat immediately behind us; they simply couldn't believe that people would interrupt their appreciation of things by cheering.)

That said, it's a good thing that you didn't stay for the South Korea-Brazil game because you would have been blown away. The Koreans, who sat further to our left, generated an uninterrupted wall of sound in their typically regimented way. And what the Brazilians, who sat behind us to the right, lacked in noise, they made up for in skimpiness of clothing and pure joy.

All in all, a great atmosphere, and a very good result for the US!