Reyna To Sign With Red Bull (Deal Not Final Yet)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Oatmeal, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna is a good signing.

The only real issue the bulk of the fanbase (at least on these boards) has is his salary structure. If we sign him as a DP, which i hope we dont, then he will have BIG expectations to stay health and play at a high level. Personally i think signing him to a max deal and using the other two DP's later is whats best for the club.....I guess we will soon find out.

Bottom line for me though is, I am happy to have Claudio Reyna as a Red Bull, i would be happier if its not as a DP.

2. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Think about how often Guevara or Djorkaeff were not available through suspension or petulence last season. Heck, think how often they were like vacuums (taking up space on the field but not really performing well). I don't think that Guevara was really worth more than 20 matches (at least not at peak output) last season.

Now that Reyna is retired from USMNT, is it so unlikely to think he will be steadier and influential in more than 20 games? I think so. Especially considering that Guevara may (or is he still suspended by his federation) be tied up in Copa del'Oro for part of the year.

I don't see how Reyna can be considered a bad signing as long as he costs anything below DP level. Your team still needs a more effervescent midfielder to pair with him in the middle, to be sure. But I think a player with Claudio's qualities will be able to do a lot for the team and that (contrary to popular opinion) he will not struggle too badly with the pace of the game in MLS. The FieldTurf is the only wild-card.

I think the fact that ESPN is moving away from daytime Saturday games is going to be a huge factor for a lot of these older players coming back to the league and playing well. These guys (or at least their leg muscles) are going to enjoy the warmer temperatures (relative to England at least), but as long as there are not lots of daytime games - the temperatures are not going to be extreme. That is when the Field-Turf and concrete bowls become really horrendous.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Thread is a dupe with new signing thread.

New Thread Here

Note to non-RBNY posters: Please avoid from trolling, borderline or otherwise. I'm not saying anyone is trolling, but you can discuss this in the MLS N&A board as well in a neutral environment if you truly want a discussion.

Coming here to tell people your two (negative) cents on the deal can be construed as being an SS, so please don't be "that guy".