Reyna To Sign With Red Bull (Deal Not Final Yet)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Oatmeal, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Re: Reyna close to a RBNY deal?

Whether you want to call Schopp a grandfathered DP or just a max level salary is semantics. His contract ends after this coming season and I highly doubt RB will renew it or else he needs to take a paycut or fall into the DP program.

One of the purposes of the DP is to eliminate these "off balance-sheet" deals and my understanding is the RB's and Chivas's of the world can no longer do the own and loan routine.

Also, Pearce phrased it slightly different and implies he is for sale and not available on a free: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/6248471.stm

"But Pearce admitted that midfielder Claudio Reyna and defender Danny Mills were both available for sale."

2. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

What Joe is saying is that he suspects Shopp will have to count $330k against the cap this year, as per the new rules, even though Red Bull is picking up all of the salary above 100k or so.

What we all agree on: The league says you can pay two players more than the max (if you have 2 DP slots), and they will count 400k and 330k, respectively.

What we also agree on: New York can continue to pay Schopp more than the max this year only, even without a DP designation, as he is grandfathered.

What I don't think anyone knows: Does the "grandfathering" also mean he will only count 100k this year, or will he count $330k? I haven't seen a rule that spells that out.

3. Sly5000

Sly5000 New Member

Jun 13, 2006

He needs to be fit to work at all

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The big difference is that Donovan, EJ ,etc. are all players under MLS contract. Schopp's contract is owned by Salzburg not MLS he is here on loan. That contract has him making 1.2M, of which RB is paying for only a portion of per the terms of the loan deal, Salzburg is continuing to pay him the rest of his wage bill. Loan agreements work like this a lot, not always does the loaning club make the loanee club pay the entire wage bill.

So no he is not "grandfathered", he is simply a player that has an MLS wage bill of around 200K.

Like i said, show me an official release that says Schopp is "grandfathered". If you can i will gladly change my position.

5. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006

Back on topic, by the looks of Ives interview with Arena on his blog, Arena makes it sound like Reyna may very well be a DP.

6. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then why did Ives just say this on his blog?

7. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006

Wasn't that previous to the Arena interview?

Just saying, I am trusting/looking at Arena's words more than Ives as Arena runs the team.

8. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No he posted that piece after the Bruce interview i think to clarify what he thinks is going to happen based on what he heard from Bruce and his contacts.

Its more likely we dont use a DP right away than it is we use it on Reyna.

9. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Yeah, yeah...He is fitter than most due to the EPl standards and rigors and isbetter player than almost all of those in MLS... Also...Don't buy into that he is injured again...it is all an act to get out of Manchester...

10. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Thanks O-sack I agree and have said the same thing elsewhere and here too!

11. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Why The F do you DC fans care so much...hmmm...getting nervous???

12. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

Jesus - relax dude. I happened to be on BBC when I saw the article and thought you all might find it interesting. God forbid anyone with DC United listed under club come into your forum and try to have a civil discussion.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

See the word I highlighted. We can't tell if you guys are really having a Civil Discussion, or are really trying to F with us.

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

Being civil - I haven't followed this thread that closely b/c well, I get tired of being bitched at every time I post. However, another article out today says Claudio's wife is pregnant and Claudio wants to be back in the states.

A contract termination is being worked out and I am not sure how that will work out with transfer fees/allocations/etc.

15. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Please Reyna no....

16. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supposedly a done deal according to bigapplesoccer:

Also, the Red Bulls are going to look at Agustin 'El Tin' Delgado:

Here's the Link:

Coming Home: Ex-US Captain agrees to join Red Bulls

17. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Mods close this thread too...maybe Reyna will then go away...

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

Out of curiosity, how are NY going to sign Reyna if he isn't a DP? As a returning USMNT pool player, he requires an allocation to claim his rights, which I'm fairly certain NY doesn't have.

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

and

19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

Kovalenko makes at least $100k.

The main reason DC didn't resign him is because his asking price was so high (above $150k). I can't imagine he would re-sign with MLS for much less than that.

20. BLewis1968

BLewis1968 Member

Jul 16, 2001

An incorrect assumption. They do have an allocation, or at least a PORTION of the allocation they got for Peguero.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

But is a partial allocation enough by MLS standards?

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

And? Being retired doesn't remove him from the USMNT player pool.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

At the very least, Reyna will be the guinnea pig for that rule, as he's the first retired USMNT returning to the US.

25. BLewis1968

BLewis1968 Member

Jul 16, 2001

As it's been explained to me - and Lord knows, I've both misunderstood things in the past and been misled - allocations really don't work exactly like they once did. the league is moving - albeit slowly - toward giving teams more responsibility and freedom. Every team basically has an allocation "kitty'' as it were, and its really about how much money is in the pot. You can get a major allocation, spend amost all of it, but if you have a little left - and of course a decent amount of money under the cap, which they do at the moment - and you can get a player. Apparently they have enough to get THIS player