Reyna To Sign With Red Bull (Deal Not Final Yet)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Oatmeal, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reyna close to a RBNY deal?

He played 22 games and missed 16 last year.

This year he is doing much better, missing only 3 of 18, but he's currently dinged up right now (he was 50/50 for today's game).

2. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Don't believe all the injury reports you hear.. Could be a smoke screen for Reyna's transfer or Reyna got his thumb stuck in one of his suitcases as he was packing to come home to NYC...

3. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United

Seriously. I'd much rather dominate NY with a healthy Reyna running the show.

:D

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Healthy Reyna" is an oxymoron.

5. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just like we were honored to have a player of Tab Ramos' caliber sit on the bench for most of his last years with our team because of his chronic injuries.

I really don't think he's that type of player. He's definitely NOT worth a DP slot. I'd like an "Ironman" type player who can go the whole season without the knee, groin injuries that Reyna is known for. Also, we already had enough "class" here by way of a former French International who retired a few months back. "Class" I can do without. I'll take a non-fragile, committed Allocation or DP please.

6. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Looks like you DC Scum will be going thru reshuffling and major growing pains next year...so I seriously doubt you will be dominant next year... We are a leg up (read as urinating) on you! :)

7. offtheheezie

offtheheezie Member

Jun 23, 2006

Reyna is the best american midfielder plain and simple. He's proved it overseas and competes tremendously in the EPL. However, I highly doubt he'll leave the EPL so early, he still has a few years left in him. To say that we don't want Reyna is ridiculous because although he's not flashy he controls the midfield and is disciplined, (scary to thing of a Reyna/Guevara or Reyna/Youri combo) but if this does happen i think this makes us a front runner automatically.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but Guevera and Youri are no longer with the Red Bulls. Sorry.

9. offtheheezie

offtheheezie Member

Jun 23, 2006

I know, thats why I put it in parentheses just to see how dangerous that mid would have been. Anyway, Reyna is a world class player and I think if he comes to the MLS he'll have much success.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! Amusing

11. louis09

louis09 Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm all for him coming here....remember MLS is not the epl and not as phsyical or as fast.....He could hold up well if he is fit and the ground or carpet at Giant stadium doesnt cut him up to much. I would not want to use a dp slot on him but rather use the 2 dp slots to help him and bring a cup to NY

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

I would add that IF we get him to use him somewhat sparingly during the regular season.

When you boil it down with Arena and 2 DP slots we are a lock for the playoffs and seeding in the playoffs means little. If we get Reyna, we should plan to use him for 20 or so matches of the 32. Use him like Youri. Give him a few weeks off here and there throughout the season so he is fresh come the stretch run and the playoffs.

Claudio is like a 57 Chevy. He'll look nice if you bring him out every once in a while, but it's not something I would want to drive accross country in.

13. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless he's on the juice ;)

14. zeusbrowne

zeusbrowne New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    West Orange, NJ

He's not?

We ffs let's get him some. This is NY, you can buy anything here!

15. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey then he'd be a tank :p

I still think he'll be a good player just I'm afraid that he'll get hurt, with no replacement...:eek:

Unless we're going to be playing a 4-3-3 which would mean we'd have a bit more flexibility in terms of how we set up..

16. KANE21

KANE21 New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Offtheheezie did you watch the WC. Reyna is over the hill.

17. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco

Not when you play Houston. I'd take Clark/DeRosario over Reyna/______*.

* fill in any name on the NYRB roster.

18. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

err ok?

19. offtheheezie

offtheheezie Member

Jun 23, 2006

right but the world cup doesnt mean anything. Ronaldinho had a horrendous world cup but does it mean hes over the hill, absolutely not. I watch him on Manchester City and he's still brilliant. Youri was as old as anything and still dominated the pitch so saying Reyna is a washup is simply not true.

20. KANE21

KANE21 New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Youri was a great player. Reyna was a good player. Youri
    WC Champs 98! Reyna no title. Youri was a very good mls
    player but not dominant. Dominant in my book means MLS
    CUP, MVP'S, Supporter sheild. I have a sugestion for you
    offtheheezie but I don't think you will like it because maybe
    you are a Euro snob. Redbull have some kind of relationship
    with Whitecliff. Why don't they offer demsey a 2 for 1 deal.
    Say 500g and two album contract with Whitecliff.
    If Demsey agree, then go get Rinaldo plus one more DP.
    You would have Demsey, Scoop Midfield and Rinaldo, Altidore
    up top and one more DP type player. You may not like that
    because maybe you think that Reyna is better than Demsey.

21. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

KANE, the more you post, the less I want to read what you have to say. Please take a break, less talk, more read. :)

22. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC

The only player DC is (may be) losing that may really hurt is Brian Carroll. And it looks more and more like he is coming back. Esky is not a top-level starting forward in MLS. He is a hair better than John Wolyniec. Adu was a great young player, but he never carried DC United. Rimando was our back-up goalkeeper. Prideaux was defensive depth.

Even this season, DC is facing less turnover at critical positions than RBNY (Guevara, Djorkaeff, Meola {Conway has never been a solid starter for a full-season}, O'Rourke, Henderson . . . ).

Personally, I think that both teams will be better with the changes that are being made. But to suggest that DC is going through some full-scale rebuild is inaccurate. There was much more unknown/weirdness going into last season (who would be keeper, would Adu be able to play on the wing, would Esky come back from the concussions, would Erpen work out {he had played only 9 games or so to that point}, would Filomeno have a big role, would Santino build on a decent season in 2005 . . . ) then there is going into this season.

23. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which league is Whitecliff in again? Are they in the Scottish Doonahava League? Or the English Nottingmyshire League?

24. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Trust me...Anytime you have a new coach, even if he was an assistant coach at the same club, there is turmoil and instability...case in point... RBNY and MOJO last year and Greg Andrulis at Columbus a couple of years ago... ! The changes and team disruptions for DC have only just begun! Also BTW, Conway was a solid starter for most of last season and justifiably unseated Tony Meola for the starting job, Hendo was a liability from day 1, O'Rourke wasn't nicknamed Knuckles or Knucklehead early on without a reason, and Djorkaeff was AWOL for most of last season.. The only player RBNY will miss is Guevara...so there really is that much of a critical turnover for NYRB from my POV.

25. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands

If Reyna had any brains at all, he'd leave Man City's sinking ship as fast as humanly possible. That club has taken a disastrous turn for the worse and RBNY has taken some huge leaps forward. It would be a terrific coda on a great career for Reyna to be part of New York soccer's rebirth.