Reyna to Man. U?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Believe it if you will...off a Man U. main page (best rumors section)

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=18387&itype=466

I am an unbelievable Manchester United fan and live next door to our captain's parents. They told me that Ferguson told Keane that he could choose a player and United would do their utmost best to bring that player to Old Trafford. The player Roy chose is USA captain Claudio Reyna, there is a possibility we could see the World Cup star in United colours next season."
    Jonathan,Mayfield Wed 26/06/2002 23:11

Without a doubt, no US field player has ever garnered the respect Claudio now has in the world soccer (football) community...

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what we need - "another" midfielder.

3. Etchescary

Etchescary BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 14, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That is such a bull*************** rumor.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jri, welcome back.

Mods, please move this to "Insanely Implausible Rumors" :)

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Sure its a rumor....maybe a wild one...but insanely implausable? I think not.....Regardless of what is the CW around here, Claudio is one of the mostly highly respected midfielders in England right now...even Europe......he keeps this reputation another season, and there are going to be a ton of transfer speculation of Claudio to top clubs...
    one of which could easily come thru..

Sunderland is always going to be under heavy pressure (to sell their top players) if a big club flashes the big bucks..

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I belive the "My Mate Says" section, is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but this is insanely implausible.

For one thing, it posits that a ManU fan lives in Manchester. :)

8. Lance90

Lance90 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A quick look at the other postings definitely confirms that. Nice try, Jri.

P.S. Though after watching Juan "The Invisible Man" Veron last night it might not be such a bad idea.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    We'll see....how many would have tipped (going back, oh say, a little over a year ago) an unemployed Keller to be the starting keeper on the Premiership's leading club....g

Far stranger things have happened than Reyna to Man. U...

United doesn't win this year, and bet on wholesale changes around Beckham...

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it couldn't happen, just extremely unlikely to happen.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Can't happen. Reid is simply not audacious enough to demand the sort of insanely hyper-inflated transfer fee that would allow Sir Al to feel good about buying him.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree there.

But for said transfer to happen because Fergie decided to let Roy choose ManU's next signing, and for the story to break because Roy's neighbor posted it on a ManU site....

No, nothing stranger than that has ever happened. In real life, anyway.

13. Giffetinho

Giffetinho New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    If Man Utd did go after Reyna it probably would be to replace the infmaous Mr. Keane anyway

sigh.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on.

15. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Ahem. It's all well and good being enthusiastic about your own nation's players (even if it IS a wee bit overboard saying that Reyna is one of the most respected midfielders in Europe), but at least get your facts straight - Sunderland are not, and have never been under any financial pressure - they've been turning down £15m+ bids for Kevin Phillips for the last 3 seasons, for heaven's sake!

Come on - look at the kind of company your "it could happen" rumour is in:

"My mum overheard a rumour in the ladies' toilets at our local pub that Manchester United were on the verge of a swap deal with Spanish giants Real Madrid. Apparently United wanted to do a straight swap, Zidane for Gary Neville but apparently the talks took a dramatic twist. The Spaniards also wanted David May as part of the deal but United just couldn’t afford to lose both their star players, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and David Beckham were offered in May’s place but Real stuck to their offer. The deal fell through but now other giant European clubs such as Juventus and Roma are leading the chase for United’s centre half. Please stay David, we need you."

:D

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really guys, did anybody read the site linked? It's pure dribble.

Reyna is a damm fine player, but he is not going to ManU. Reyna is nearly identical in style to Veron, except that Veron is a better player. Given that Veron's style does not fit with ManU, I can't see ManU taking a worse player who plays the same way.

17. StEtienne

StEtienne Member

Mar 10, 2000
    USA
    Very true...one of the supporters' gripes is that Reid hadn't previously loosened the purse strings to buy more quality players when he has the money to do it.

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they sell out the 45,000 seat Stadium of Light for every match?

Martin, I guess Veron's style didn't suit Argentina either. :)

19. StEtienne

StEtienne Member

Mar 10, 2000
    USA
    Sounds like the Cubs.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Pure Bull **** did Veron take his team to the WC quarterfinal? It would be a huge step UP for ManU to bring in Reyna and dump Veron.

Veron = most overrated piece of garbage in world football

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Reyna to ManUre? :eek:

I have enough problems dealing with him playing for the Mackems...

I'd think I would be sick should this rumor pan out.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Reyna is better defensively. Also much more responsible and less of a cokehead. Understands English a damn sight better.

Veron has more talent but Reyna gives more to the team.

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    amen! Like fergie just goes to a guy and say "hey, who would you like to play with"? He's the gaffer, not their frickin' grandpa.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you feel strongly about this. Myopinion based on watching them play is that Veron is more dangerous on the dribble and a better creator with the penetrating pass. Reyna has a slight defensive edge.

As for the fact that the USMNT made the quarters and Argentina didn't, sure that it is a plus for Reyna. But a few games is hardly conclusive, especially since Argentina had the same record as the US in the first round and their problems were due in large part to coaching choices of playing the over-the-hill Batigol, replacing the irreplaceable Ayala with weak players and using some guys who were not at the top of their game like Kily Gonzales and Ariel Ortega. And bad luck.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm going to close this thread unless someone voices an objection. I'm all for rumors, but I don't think this one quite cuts it.