Reyna to Blackburn?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Jun 21, 2003.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Re: Reyna or Tugay?

Reyna kept Tugay off the pitch in Glasgow (in the middle of the field). Probably has a good shot to do it again, tho I bet Tugs wouldn't be too happy to see him coming.

Reyna is better two-way middie than Tugay and would help defensively (believe it or not.)

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Man City reported making one last buy - a middie, but Reyna not making the top of the rumour list:

Antoine Sibierski – highly rated RC Lens midfielder
    Steve McManaman – surplus stock at Real Madrid
    Emmanuel Petit – victim of the Abramovich revolution at Chelsea
    Paul Bosvelt – disillusioned Feyenoord skipper, Dutch international

http://manchestercity.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=914&p=2&stid=8314961

3. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
  4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    It sounds like Blackburn are not convinced that Reyna is ready to go and are looking elsewhere. Tough news for Claudio.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sounds like Claudio will be closely watched during the Brazil game.

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Its also in the Guardian rumors section that Reyna will go to Blackburn on a 2 million pound transfer.

7. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, with the recent sale of Duff, the foregoing of Dunn, and the historically injured Thompson and Flitty, another midfielder, or two, would do the club well in my opinion.

Brett Emerton is a wonderful signing to add youth and energy, and I believe Reyna would do well also, even partnering with Tugay...can you imagine the possession numbers with the two of them controlling the midfield...just a thought.

I for one would be very happy to see Reyna join his American compatriots Friedel, and now Yelldell, at BRFC.

8. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be the perfect opportunity for them to see Reyna shine in the game against Brazil. I'm hoping that Reyna has gotten over his injury and will be back to his old form.
    If he heads out to Blackburn, it would give me more incentive to root for them. Reyna and Friedel together in a Premiership team would be an awesome thing to see.

Cheers!:)

10. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    I would like to see Reyna go to Blackburn, I think it would be great. I also feel that CR does not belong in the 1st division. That said, CR is still coming back from injury, if Souness doesn't feel CR has returned to form, no deal. I really want to see CR get transfered to Blackburn, but something in me says he spends the first half of the year at Sunderland. I really hope I am wrong though.

11. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    More news that Reyna could be on the way out. He's been given #24 by McCarthy. This quote doesn't mention Claudio, but does give some insight as to his reasons.

http://www.safc.com/news.asp?article=155796&lid=204

14. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I frequently peruse the main message boards of teams that our YAs play for, and I think most Sunderland fans are resigned to losing him despite his never mentioning, publicly at least, plans to leave as have Phillips, Sorenson, McCann, etc.

They knew about inquiries after the WC, then they were relegated, and they're afraid of Souness now; and the number change is just the icing on the cake.

But most still probably overvalue him, thinking even $2 million pounds is not enough. A few say take an offer like that and run...because he's 30 and prone to injury, and we're in a depressed market. And I've even seen some grumblers lately, ala this board, heh, mentioning his tendency to hide sometimes in big games, his being injury prone, and his overrated status among most of the Sunderland faithful. I never saw grumblers until the rumors of him possibly leaving popped up. But there are actually quite a few now.

But most still seem to want $4 million pounds and see him as their most important player. I guess they'll be pretty mad if he goes for, say, $1 million. Then again, I guess they'll be pretty happy if he continues to hide at the Gold Cup and nobody buys him after all.

I guess what he does tonight against Brazil may be pretty important. Is tonight the night he shows he's regained his fitness and form? Does the Reyna of the WC and the Reyna that outplayed Edgar Davids show up? Or is he invisible.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    the shirt #s moves are the final tipoff at Sunderland...McCann off to Villa today

and Reyna to Blackburn seems likely...for less that 2M it appears...

17. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my head is gonna explode... hehe. two yanks starting for the SAME team in the PREMIERSHIP for a GOOD team?!?!

somehow, i doubt this will happen. :D

18. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
    Don't count yer chickens...

Sunderland were knocking on the door for Europe 2-3 years ago. I'm not predicting Blackburn will do badly (and it sure beats having Reyna playing in the 1st division), but let's just wait awhile before we start crowing about how great things are going for the YA.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    B'burn really would be interesting. Can Tugay and Reyna play in the middle together. From what I saw of Tugay at Gers and with Turkey, he seems a bit more offensive-minded than Reyna. Does he play A-mid at B'burn? Does he ever play on the right (he did sometimes at Gers.) If Reyna and Tugay can play CM's and you toss Amo and BF in the mix and you'd have a Gers/USMNT reunion spine. Two degrees of separation!

20. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tugay plays a sort of holding mid, with some offensive tendencies, since he does have a blistering long range shot. He was in the top five last year in completed passes in the EPL, a very good deliverer of the ball.

I, too think it would be exciting to see Reyna and Tugay play together, though I don't know how likely it would be. They seem to have competed for the same position at Gers. Can you imagine the possession B'burn could win with those two men controlling the middle like that, though. It would be pretty cool indeed.

Good job D.C. United, but count your blessings, lucky scum =) Who's idea was it to go to a shoot-out anyway...we Americans are wierd.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I wouldn't be surprised if the penalties were agreed upon by Hudson and Souness. To use as practice for possible cup tiebreakers later this summer/fall

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I think that is correct. Read it on another thread.