Reyna re-injures groin- out after New Year....

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 13, 2004.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dissent with two points made on these threads. OK, dissent with one and am not quite ready to accept the second.

1) Apoo says that strength is related to a midfielder's durability. I don't see that. I don't see this as a matter than Landon and Beasley are strong and Reyna and JOB are weak. More like, some guys are injury prone, some are not. Due to genetics, flexibility, the presence of old injuries, etc.

2) JRI says that Reyna should have a longer career because he doesn't have any speed to lose, anyway, so losing speed isn't that important to him. Well, it's a theory, and the continued career of Teddy Sheringham (albeit in the Colaship) is one point of evidence in its favor. So is Agoos, I guess. But I am far from convinced. The flip side to this argument is that Reyna is perilously close to going from "not very fast" to "too slow to be a professional player."

2. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Too late! :D

I'd have to agree - speed wasn't the big asset to his game. He has great instincts. I think it might be a stretch to say that he'll be around for 2010 run but then again it depends on where he is. He might end his career in the US, who knows. IN which cae he might play in a match or so - in some ways I see the similarities between him and Ramos.

But I seriously see him handing in his international retirement right after the 2006 Cup. Same with John O'Brien... although with him it may not be a choice.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think Donavon owns the AM spot until he drops dead, or drops seriously in form. I think Reyna is now competing for Armas' old spot, or even on the right midfield (or, 3rd slim possibility, maybe even right outside defensive back)..
    Likely, this is the new reality

As a result, I posted those names. Danny S. is the DM for the next 7-10 after he's makes his first Nat team appearance IMO (he's that good). Maybe sometime after 2006 Cup. If somehow that is wrong, I think Dempsey is given a look there. Both Dempsey and Gaven will be given hard looks at RM IMO....Until 2006, I think Mastro has to be a candidate (along w/Reyna) at DM. Who knows if/when JOB is in that mix..

Martino would be Donavon understudy, nothing more...

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think you are right that Claudio will have a strong desire to hang up (int'l)...however, soccer players rarely retire int'l with ease, and given Bruce's prediliction w/vets AND the ball holding ability Claudio brings in spades (a historical weakness of US Nats), I think the chances are still there for some kindof role.

Also, (as you correctly imply/note), likely Claudio is in MLS at tailend of career, and I think that'll give him more time/kick-boost to want to rejoin Nats..

And I doubt Bruce (who I think will want to go until 2010 and see the best crop ever of US players make their mark) will turn that down..

We'll see...

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that Donavan, however, has been played in both the AM role and as a withdrawn striker if it's a 442. That being said, I think there's a need to groom/find others who can play in that AM role. It's only my opinion but I think if Martino continues to progress he could fulfill that role.

As for Reyna, I agree that DM might be in his future. I'd have to disagree strongly about RB. I know you only gave it a "slim" chance but I'd give it even less. You admitted that speed has never been part of his game so him losing even more of it wouldn't hurt him necessarily in the DM role. It WOULD, however, hurt him if Arena tried to stick him in at RB. Could you imagine Reyna trying to keep up with someone like Robben or other speedsters that play on the left flank internationally? Frightening! I realize he's very smart and his positioning would probably be good but those two qualities can still often be beaten by raw speed. I think your initial assessment that Reyna is probably best suited in that DM role now is more spot on.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest from Soccernet

Looks like Claudio will now be seeking special medical treatment to beat this injury bug once and for all...

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    sorry, I misused a word here. By durability, I meant the ability to stand up to beating for 89 minutes and not lose a step in the 90th. I didn't mean anything in relation to injury or anything. For an example, take a look at Kyle Martino's 2nd season with the Crew. H started out strong because teams gave him room to operate, but once they started getting physical he dissapeared.