Reyna: POTM & Cap't

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by kingwho, Oct 3, 2002.

1. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Hope I am not missing another thread already started on this.....

I was just on the Sunderland web site and along with Reyna being named Captain for the Worthington Cup game on Tuesday he was also named the team's Player Of The Month for September!!!!!

Here is small bit of what they had to say:

"Reyna was not just the Black Cats’ outstanding player in September – he has been all season. Yet to miss a minute of action in 2002-03, the midfield maestro has made more passes (424), more crosses (58) and more tackles (37) than any other player in Peter Reid’s squad. In addition, the only two men who have attempted more shots are strikers Kevin Phillips and Tore Andre Flo."

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And yet they suck and can't score a goal if their life depended on it. Classic Claudio. Style over substance.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Sunderland wishes they had a bunch of Claudio clones!! They need help.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    They need Mathis. Then they'll actually start winning.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno if Mathis would be a good fit over there. they don't have any sort of pubs or bars in england, do they? if so, his fitness may suffer. :)

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    It's all Claudio's fault, eh?? Maybe Clint could help -- or wait, how about STEVE RALSTON!! E-mail Peter Reid RIGHT NOW!!

Ben, my friend, please don't trip over your own....I dunno...."statements of opinion."

That's a charitable description, by the way.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Statements of fact. Reyna is an offense killer. Maybe for both teams, but nevertheless.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    This is just so classic! He gets praised for taking a ton of shots and, what, missing every one of them!!!!

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    He has a pub in his basement here.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Let's see, he really killed the offense when he scored those goals for Sunderland...

Let's see...he really killed the offense in the Costa Rica qualifier at Arrowhead...

Let's see...he really killed the offense at the Holland friendly....

Let's see....he really killed the offense in Mexico 2nd round game,

Let's see...he really killed the offense in the Germany game...

Really, c'mon. You are dissing one of the best players EVER to put a St. Benedict's Jersey, a UVa jersey, a Wolfsburg jersey, a Sunderland jeresy....AND a US National team jersey.

My counsel to you...don't make yourself look foolish...

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    And Karl, you've got some weak tea there yourself.

Congrats to Claudio, it IS the Premier League, but he's never been an offensive force for Sunderland or the Nats. Yours is a list of exceptions which - when compared to the number of caps, games played etc - prove the rule.

I'll even add "Mexico friendly '95" and Austria friendly '98" to your list. But you're bluffing with a lot of it.

I mean, Costa Rica qualifier at Arrowhead? Reyna stunk up the field. We won despite him, thanks to Mathis and Wolff, but mostly cause Costa Rica didn't even show up.

And even against Mexico - he got a nice second assist on a very big goal. Big deal.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everytime you open your mouth, something stupid falls out.

14. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Big deal?? He torched Morales with a stunning touch line carry, single-handedly starting a very dangerous attack that resulted in key first goal.

This just in!! Soccer is a team game -- and believe it or not, sometimes the guy who DOESN'T score is way more valuable than the player who does.

At Arrowhead, Claudio Reyna dominated possession, with a 70% possession rate, got 3 shots off, and nearly set up a key goal with his incredibly deft passing and tactical shrewdness.

Last I looked, the other team DID show up...please, gimme a break.

Folks like you and Reilly seem to have this incredibly naive perspective that the only thing that matters is the guy who finally shoots and scores. If you truly believe that, stop watching professional soccer and go back to AYSO, a level where such a juvenile viewpoint is supported. Enjoy.

Really, do us all a favor and bust out of your tunnel vision

15. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This just in. Clint Mathis is Sunderlands best player."

You know when you say BenReilly post you thought that is what he was going to put. Of course Sir Clint had what points per 90 average in MLS this year? 8(

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Karl, your desperate pretense to the intellectual high ground is so consistently clownish that I'm sure folks would rather you did not speak for them.

We all know there's one opinion that truly counts and that's Karl Keller's. That puts you on an island, pal -- one that no one really wants to visit.

17. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree with Karl and so do all the Sunderland fans. Go here www.als.sunderland.com search for Claudio Reyna on the message board.

18. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most crappy players are named to the top 11 of the WC all-star team and are consistently voted MOTM by the club supporters.

I agree with KK and others.

19. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna is a pretty flashy guy too - if only he had a mohawk to top it off

20. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA

Odds are, he's the only player ever to put on a St. Benedict's, UVa, Wolfsburg, Sunderland, and US Nat jersey.

Unless you're playing dress-up or something.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Putting Reyna on the WC all-star team was actually a tremendous insult to USA soccer.The thinking was very obvious. The USA made the QFs and thus have to get one spot, which they just gave to the most prominent player in Europe.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    As I was saying, Northside Rovers is a genius.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    First of all, I've always given equal credit for assists.

Reyna has started 25 games for Sunderland, coming off only three times. Roughly 2200 minutes. 3 goals, 1 assist. That's flat out horrible.

Of course, soccer is far more complex and I'm not even touching on the defensive aspects. But however you look at it, he's got a big hole to climb out of.

Anyway, don't get yourself all worked up. I've said I'd start him for the Nats, but I reject this Reyna worship.

24. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    No comment. :D

25. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    Ok, Claudio has 3 goals and 1 assist. You're right, that is absolutly horrible....for a forward. Claudio sets up the attack. Let me say that again, because you don't seem to understand. SETS..UP..THE..ATTACK. You know those things where the ball gets worked around and eventually puts it in the net? Yeah, Claudio is good at forming those.