Reyna: Man City v Aston Villa {R.}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Also, we know that Keegan has ambitions in Europe in the UEFA Cup, and someone might check this, but I believe Reyna, McManaman, and Seaman are the only Man City players with European experience.

How much did McManaman play in the CL with Real Madrid?

I'm sure Reyna will start the match against Lokeren on Sept 24.

For Man City to qualify for the CL seems like a stretch, but I can see them in the UEFA Cup next year.

2. ManHowarD UNiTeD

ManHowarD UNiTeD New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Bottomline Reyna is proven and finally back on an EPL pitch for the first time in awhile... While some of us may be worried about his recovery from injury and his lack of playing time, Reyna has not lost his great football mind. That in my mind is a good percentage of his worth. He is highly regarded by critics, coaches, and fans. He has a greater opportunity to show his worth on a team like Man City, rather than a Fulham, Blackburn, or Rangers. There is good talent around him which makes him look better because of the playmaking role which he is known for. Plus, Man City has a higher profile with Cup competition, new stadium, and being the other Manchester team. Try not to worry too much people... he should be a good fit. He will make us proud and live up to his beloved nickname "Captain America".

3. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Fair enough comments. When is the next USA fixture again? :D

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Claudio is not a playmaker.

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true. he's a usnats #10 temp. ;)

6. Short Corner

Short Corner Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Other Man City players with European experience:

Anelka (with Real Madrid, Liverpool, maybe first stint at PSG), Robbie Fowler, Tarnat (with Bayern Munich), Distin (PSG), Bosvelt (Feyenoord), Berkovic (Celtic when O'Neill first arrived).

I probably missed a couple. (Edit) Sibierski as well.

7. Just a reminder: We do have at least two suitable replacements for Reyna at a-mid.

John O'Brien
    Kyle Martino

8. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Hmmm, atleast two eh. I love JOB, but he's hurt more than reyna, Mcbride, and Wolfe put together. And Martino is unproven at this level so you cannot count him. The list is very short my friend.

Here's to you Cap'n.

9. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    saw the replay on FSW - good to see Claudio on the pitch again - but two points .....

even with 10 minutes of play - he looked comfortable distributing forward and tracking back - he had two or three quality balls sent forward - Man City will be very happy with him as he progresses back - it is only a matter of time and he will be a starting fixture.

what a load of talent on the team - compare Anelka to Tor Andre Flo and Phillips - and Reyna has some real talent forward of him that he can do what he does best - distribute .... that should be fun to watch.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several points.

1) Reyna will see plenty of time. He is one of the few Americans that is an absolutely known quantity on this level, so he won't have to put up with any "bias" - if there is any. Plus he's damned good.

2) He made some excellent passes, and judging by their midfield, he will end up being their "defensive consciense" - as they have so many offensive minded players out there.

3) re : first handball. Are you kidding me? Clear penalty, the only way that isn't called is if they fly one of the De La Hoya-Mosley judges in from Vegas to ref the game

4) Isn't Sun a defender? Or do they play a 3-5-2? Or are we back to Reyna at RB again? and please, he is not a prototypical #10. THis has been beaten to death and so I will not comment further.

edit : I forgot, if you see the replay of Anelka's third, check out Claudio running as fast as he can, screaming at the top of his lungs for the ball on Anelka's right (wide open). Kinda comical really

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the referee was playing the advantage. Mcmanaman was clear after the handball and if he had tried to have a go at it he may very well have scored. Instead he screamed at the ref so the ref called the foul.

Sun is a wing back. He came up on overlaps several times during the game.

12. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the referee was playing the advantage. Mcmanaman was clear after the handball and if he had tried to have a go at it he may very well have scored. Instead he screamed at the ref so the ref called the foul.

Sun is a wing back. He came up on overlaps several times during the game.

13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Claudio was a little behind the play, and of course Anelka was going to shoot at goal.

But if there was a rebound, Claudio would have buried it. Claudio made a good run to support the play. If Anelka held up a bit, Claudio was in alone v. teh goalkeeper on a pass to him. Anelka obviously shot and scored, it is what a striker shoudl do right?

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I'm not criticising Anelka at all, of course he should have taken a shot...You just had to see on the reply from ground level the look on Reyna's face as he's chugging through.

Anelka leaves no rebounds.

15. The Green One

The Green One New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Manchester
    Well I went to the match yesterday, so I saw it all first hand. Being a city fan, rather than a yank, I won't be so biased.

Claudio did well when he came on. His distribution is the standard of Berkovic's which is always great to see. Unlike Berkovic he gets back though. He threw himself in the way of the ball to stop it going in, even though it was offside. Looks committed to city, which is always good to see. He applauded the crowd when we cheered him warming up (as we on the touchline always do), which is good as he seems to have a rapport with the fans.

I think that he will find it hard to break into the side though. He won't get on the right, as SWP is simply great for us. Centre looks most likely. We will always play one of Barton/Bosvelt, as these are defencive, and sinclair plays on the left. So its between Reyna, Berkovic, Sibierski and Macca for the other slot. However Macca may go on the left leaving a gap. Also like against Arsenal and Blackburn, we can play 4-5-1, so he may have a chance there. I see him getting a fair amount of games. The thing is, King Kev is building up a large squad capable of playing many games, which we will be doing this year. We can now rotate, and I see most of our midfield as a rotation system.

You do have to look at city's players though before judging us.

Sun is doing great at RB, so Reyna won't replace him. WE play 4-4-2 btw. Sun gets forward a lot, but I don't mind it

BTW, our european experienced players are:

Seaman (three European finals), anelka (champions league winner), tarnat (one european champions league final), Sommeil (bordeaux), Fowler (one UEFA Cup winners medal), Sibierski (lens, nantes in the champions league), Mcmanaman (two european champions league winners medals), Berkovic (Celtic), Bosvelt (captained feyenoord to UEFA Cup), Sinclair (not necessarily europe, but played in the world cup).

So we have a wealth of experience in europe.

Also, Fulham vs. City, at Loftus Road for us next. Imagine Claudio's reception! I reckon Anelka will be a lone striker in this one with Macca, Barton and Reyna in the centre.

~ The Green ;)ne

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United FC
    Thanks Green One and welcome to BigSoccer. We look forward to reading more first hand accounts from you. Hopefully you'll soon be as biased about Reyna as we are. :)

17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, was quite impressed by the overall play of City in the second half. Second time I have seen them this year and the second time I have been impressed. Anelka is great and Claudio will make him awesome. With regard to the quote above, I would disagree. I think the entire right side is the team weakness. Wright-Phillips has good intentions but simply gives the ball away too much. Same with Barton, at least offensively. He seems more of a DMid and may be OK in that respect. Sun is weak. IMHO, Claudio is head and shoulders above all three. That being said, it may still be better for him to play out of the middle. With this team, and Anelka in particular, he may turn out to be a truly coveted #10.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Reyna is not an "a-mid".

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United FC
    Broken record. (Isn't it depressing to outlive an expression?)

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, Reyna is not a RB (just he played there for Rangers for a bit and some USMNT fans have got it in their head that's where he should play. 99% of us disagree - Reyna to RB is kind of a running joke amongst Yank fans now).

And I liked that stuff too. Reyna will be playing more than you realize I think. He's not somebody you particularly notice until he pops up and you think - wow, nice pass. However he is very effective and makes the surrounding team much better just by his prescence on the ball.

21. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    Although my allegiance lies up the M61 from City - I feel compelled to chime-in given the American conncection

I think "Green One"'s comments were right on

I tried to make a similar point on the thread a few weeks ago where Reyna's transfer was discussed

Nobody doubts Reyna's ability or his historical ability to become important to his team. But what most of the posters on this thread are overlooking is that you have to put Reyna's place in the City squad in context.

Keegan is trying to build City into a club that can be competitive in not only the Premiership but in Europe and both domestic Cups. By buying Reyna and Macca and not disposing of Berko (who nobody on this thread seems to respect enough - that bloke is class) Keegan is loading up for depth.

City is going to play a massive number of fixtures this season if they can stay alive in the all three of their cup competition. The squad needs depth. With the exception of Macca, I don't think any of City's midfielders are head-and-shoulders above the rest - they are all pretty darn good - albeit at different stages of development. That gives Keegan options - he will optimize the midfield on a match-by-match basis to take into account opposition and fixture congestion.

Anyone suggesting that Reyna is a shoe-in for a starting midfield spot (anywhere in the midfield) is kidding themselves. Claudio is a good Premiership quality midfielder - but he is now surrounded by a talented pool of midfielders. Keegan's going to have the luxury of rotating the squad which is exactly what he has to do if he's going to be competitive in the 50ish fixtures his squad is likely to have.

Get over it folks. Reyna is good, not great. He'll contribute at City, meaningfully. But he's not going to become a stalwart institution that some people in this thread think - that's just not what City needs - it would be counter-productive to their ambitions

22. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    understand that "we" yanks are biased.

truth be told - everywhere Claudio has gone (when he has remained healthy) he has become a mainstay starting fixture -

he will displace somebody for a critical role - he always makes it very difficult for the manager to keep him on the bench ....

that is not optimism - it is simply his track record.

23. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    First of all I'm a Yank who happens to live in the UK - so I'm just as likely to suffer from any bias as you are

You are missing the point of my post. Even if Reyna was good enough to become "critical" for City (which I am skeptical of, not because of his ability, but by the quality of the surrounding cast) - it's not in City's grand design to play him in a starting role for a high percentage of matches. It's not consistent with KK's plan - he wants depth - he needs depth - he needs rotation - City could play (if their form holds) around 50 more fixtures this season - Reyna will make a meaningful contribution - but Keegan will rotate him and play him situationally (that may be in 80% of the fixtures, but not in a starting role) - but he's not going to be first team "automatic" selection - very few of the City midfield will be - that's Keegan's luxury and their best shot at advancing deep in Europe, the Cups, and toward the top of the Premiership table

24. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I must say that I'm a tad bit shocked at the tone of this thread. I'm so used to Claudio-bashing by many BS posters that I don't quite know what to think here. :)

It almost reads like a Sunderland forum...

25. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Also watched the FSW game on Sunday. A few impressions:

- this is a great team, and a fantastic opportunity for Claudio. I think Man City has a great chance at a top 5 EPL finish- they are so talented when they're clicking. Who knows if Claudio will start regularly or not- who cares. He'll get a lot of playing time and play for a team where his creative skills are only enhanced by the quality of the players around him. He'll also play UEFA- I can't think of a much better fit for him. The 10 minutes he played I thought he looked extremely comfortable, and every confident on the ball. Keep in mind that Bosvelt was also sidelined with a stomach flu...
    - I think Man City supporters are so high on Sun because he created the third goal- Anelka's penalty. I agree he was marginal in the first half, but so was City in general. Sun had a quality second half.
    - The real weakness of the team, in my opinion, was Distin on the left side in the back. That guy made numerous mistakes, and I never really saw him contribute positively to the match.
    - I'm not very comfortable with David Seaman either, I know his history, but I think his confidence is way down.

My two cents.