Reyna: Man City v Aston Villa {R.}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Sep 14, 2003.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna clears initiating a break which nearly brings the fifth.Reyna takes the corner.The attack continues 2 min,left.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay. Reyna's first two touches....

1st touch: he sent a pass from the left side down the wing.... several passed and resulted a Wright Philips shot on goal.

2nd touch: he took the ck....

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Guardian you're thinking of....

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hey, Reyna is doing well....

one minute added on....

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost set Sinclair through - all over but the singing now....

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another touch for Reyna, and a cleverly attempted one at that...

90 mins: Reyna plays an intelligent through-ball for Sinclair but it is hit a little too firmly for the winger to reach it and make increase the deficit.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final 4-1.Macca's praises are sung wildly,and why not-he was dominant.
    Cheers all.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time, 4-1 to Manchester City.

Man City (0) 4
    Nicolas Anelka (3) 48 pk, 68 pk, 83
    Michael Tarnat 50

Aston Villa (1) 1
    Juan Pablo Angel 31

Ten minutes of play for Reyna, and with a few good touches.

10. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, it's a start for Reyna. It could be worse. No worries from me.

11. usnatfan

usnatfan New Member

Aug 25, 2003
    South Florida
    Just a matter of time before he cracks the starting line-up.

12. sobesoft

sobesoft New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Orange County
    At least he didn't get injured.

13. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
  14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Actually this game worries me a bit.

I don't understand how he can get an 8 rating after 10 minutes of play when coming into a game that was already well in hand.

That said, the team played well with him on the bench. It has a ton of midfielders. It worries me that he'll be used as a tactical sub rather than a starter. After all he's been with the team for 2 weeks and didn't make the starting lineup.

We need him to start

15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    man city will need players. They will have 3 games in 8 days span coming up. With league play, domestic cup and uefa cup competition, Reyna should get plenty of chances in midfield.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    it worries me that it worries you that he's barely been with his club and hasn't cracked the starting lineup.

17. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Claudio has nothing to prove. If they don't play him, they're idiots but that's their business. Claudio is too old to be the future of Americans overseas. He can be a steady player for several more years though.

I'm not taking this as any type of bellwether for our players abroad. Our future doesn't depend on how well (or especially often) Claudio plays for Man City.

18. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    This is exactly what I expected - 10 or 20 minutes.

He'll find his way on to the field. Everyone said he could never crack the crowded lineup at Rangers but he did. He will do the same at City.

It may be as a sub until an injury happens, but an injury will happen and Claudio will take advantage of his opportunity.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I said "we need him to start" because the USA needs a playmaker that is playing regularly. I'm very disappointed we don't have a solid replacement for Reyna right now. JOB is the closest but with his injury history I'm not going to assume he's it.

I'm not using Claudio as a barometer for other Americans, I'm using it for himself. He's coming off a lengthy injury and rebuffed another Premier League team to come to City.

As to the comment he's barely been with the club and hasn't cracked the lineup... he's been there for 2 weeks during which no league games were played. MacManaman was signed after him (granted a day or 2) and did play today. While they are different players, they are both midfielders on a team that didn't really have midfield problems before they signed these 2. This is what worries me a little.

I'm a huge Claudio fan and I'm sure he can do the job with ManCity. But I'm also not naive enough to think they can't win games without him.

20. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just came in on the FSW replay. It is good to see him on the pitch, nice reception for him and for Wanchope.

Guess this might make that Costa Rica qualifier a bit more interesting for both.

21. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be suprised to see him replace Sun in the starting lineup for the next game. Sun had that one good run which drew the second penalty, but he looked shakey defensively.

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reyna is every bit as good as McManamanamanamanamanamanamanamanaman.

I don't see why he didn't play one half. Wanchope did nothing.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Judging by the way the first half went, City will need him. Claudio brings a possession and control into the game. With all the attacking options, they will need someone more devoted to providing the ball. Reyna fits that mold very well. I did not see a player of that caliber at the start. Neither Tarnat nor Sinclair showed the ability to stimulate the offense in that way. City were fortunate to have scored four today. The first penalty was very questionable; but that really started the torrent. What Reyna will provide is for the attacking players to play in more dangerous, advanced positions. I have a feeling that once the European games start, Reyna will be a key player.

24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note what was said about him after the reserve match: according to supporters who watched it he would have been man of the match if not for the fact that he was exhausted by the 60th minute. Point is: Reyna is not match-fit.

25. ravensjk

ravensjk New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talkincity.com link provided earlier was interesting to follow. A lot of ManCity fans coming back from the game. Quite a few good reviews for Reyna, albeit guarded since he only played a few minutes. That said, I believe they are already looking for him to contribute more. He just whet their appetite today...

As for Sun, I agree that I thought he looked shakey. I was very surprised to read on the talkincity.com link that nearly every ManCity fan praised him and a few had him as MOTM!!! They cited his many last minute sliding saves. I saw the same saves they did, but thought he caused them by poor positioning in the first place. Even if Sun plays poorly in the future, I really hope Reyna cracks in at midfield, I believe he would offer them much more from that position.