Reyna: Leeds United vs. Sunderland, 8/28 2:45p (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 28, 2002.

1. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    narrow escape for Sunderland in the 60th or so minute...sounds like Reyna or Wright clears off the line....radio wasn't clear.

Heavy Leeds pressure at the moment..

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    links for audio?

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    when I get to the sunderland site, I don't see a link for the audio

4. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  5. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    a ha! the Sun yahoo link doesn't go to the right place

6. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    76th minute: Arca comes on for Piper

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Getting late, Sunderland bring on Kevin Kyle for Phillips up front for fresh legs...

8. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    I had the same problem. Definitely confusing.

9. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Sunderland announcer is great.

"I'm not sure if buggery is the word I'm looking for"

"C'mon ref!"

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    1-0 Sunderland final

Sunderland's announcers are hysterical!

11. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    This announcer rules! You'd think they won a real important game. (semi-ironic)

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Scoring and winning are very important with a manager on the verge of being fired...so that explains the joy.

Where are those Leeds characters from before??...easy win??

13. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    What a great win for Sunderland. I love these annoucers. Really exciting stuff. I am an American, quickly being converted into a Sunderland fan.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic. I've become a huge Reyna fan, so Sunderland has become my second favorite team in the EPL. As much as I like to see sunderland win, it is twice as sweet watching leeds lose.

15. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    Not too much more written on Reyna in the Sunderland commentary.

I do have a couple of observations on Sunderland in general (as this was the first time I spent any time on their site).

1. Claudio is featured pretty prominently, especially with the advertising for their replica jerseys.

2. I love that Sunderland's backup keeper is named Jurgen Macho. That just sounds awesome. Nothing like having "Macho" on the back of your shirt......as a keeper nonetheless.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    You had your chance against WBA last weekend, remember? Forza Sunderland!

17. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Love the Black Cats fever...

Yes Reyna is very central to everything Sunderland does on and off the field. With the way they love his attitude, he's on his way to being captain I'd say

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna Good, Leeds bad.

Must have been quite a fortunate alignment of the stars for Sunderland.

19. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    I just thought of something kind of funny. I might get heckled for this one, but does anyone ever call Kevin Phillips: "Kevin Phillips Bong!" From the silly candidate/sensible candidate Monty Python sketch? Does anyone know what Im talking about?

20. drm167f

drm167f New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Springfield, MO USA
    Reyna MOTM

Reyna makes Sun's MOTM: see ratings

DREAM TEAM STAR MAN

CLAUDIO REYNA (Sunderland). Typified his side's never-say-die spirit.

SUN RATINGS

LEEDS: Robinson 7, Mills 6, Radebe 6, Matteo 7, Harte 6, Bowyer 8, Bakke 6 (Dacourt 6), Barmby 6 (Keane 6), Kewell 7, Smith 7, Viduka 7. Subs not used: Martyn, Kelly, Woodgate. Booked: Bowyer, Dacourt.

SUNDERLAND: Sorensen 7, Wright 7, Babb 7, Bjorklund 7, Gray 7, Piper 6 (Arca 6), McAteer 8, Reyna 9, Thirlwell 7, Butler 7, Phillips 6 (Kyle 6). Subs not used: Macho, McCartney, Quinn.

REF: M Halsey 7.

21. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    I feel kind of stupid now. Oh well.

22. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the worst displays of "football" I have ever seen. We were worse than pathetic in the first half, even though we dominated all the possession. The closest anyone came to scoring was Kewell heading into the side netting, and he probably wouldn't have scored if it had been on target.

Sunderland scored with their only shot on target in the match. It wasn't even a nice goal, just really slopping defending and the ball bouncing to Jason 6 yards out.

Dacourt and Keane coming on helped, we started creating chances, had a penalty somehow not given, and almost scored on lots of occasions. Sunderland were dreadful, but somehow won, though they didn't deserve it. Reyna didn't play especially well, his passing was quite off and had the ball taken away several times.

Today was just terrible. I hope never to see a match like that ever again in any division.

I didn't get many photos at all, but i'll put up the ones i did get tomorrow. Its past 4am and I've driven 400 miles today, so i'm a bit too tired to do it now.

23. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Originally posted by Captain Splarg
    One of the worst displays of "football" I have ever seen. We were worse than pathetic in the first half, even though we dominated all the possession. The closest anyone came to scoring was Kewell heading into the side netting, and he probably wouldn't have scored if it had been on target.

sour grapes?

Sunderland scored with their only shot on target in the match. It wasn't even a nice goal, just really slopping defending and the ball bouncing to Jason 6 yards out.

scoreboard

Dacourt and Keane coming on helped, we started creating chances, had a penalty somehow not given, and almost scored on lots of occasions. Sunderland were dreadful, but somehow won, though they didn't deserve it.

scoreboard

Reyna didn't play especially well, his passing was quite off and had the ball taken away several times.

Reyna makes Sun's MOTM

Sore loser, or what.

24. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    on the comment of the sunderland announcers going nutters at the end. it's because that was the first sunderland vicotry at elland road since 1961. so it was a bit of a big deal

-irish

25. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Sunderland still need to go after Mathis and Beasley - those two ought to add something to Sunderland's attack. They have to be a bargain for the Black Cats.