Reyna, Keller: 9/28 Citeh v Spurs [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Sep 26, 2003.

1. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gnk

gnk Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio seemed fully recovered from his injury the other night, although he did seem to struggle with his fitness as the game wore on. That being said, I would be surprised if CR is not in the match day squad, although I would not be surprised if he does not start. As for a move to right back, Sun Jihai did have some dicey moments in the back (although Seaman didn't help matters much), so it wouldn't be surprising if CR moves to right back. But my guess (take it for what it's worth) is that CR will be on the bench.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Claudio was arguably the best player on the field mid-week, with Anelka perhaps deserving man of the match for the goals. Why so quick to put him on the bench?

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) KK has a plethora of middies to choose from

b) reyna played a full 90 midweek

c) by all accounts, he was less effective as the game went on, I'm not sure he is fully match fit yet.

I think he will come off the bench while Spurs receive yet another hiding. (Poor Kasey)

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's not such a big surprise if Reyna doesn't start. Wed. was his first full game since before the injury. Midweek gives very little turnaround anyway. W-P is younger, not coming off an injury and seems to have provided a nice spark, and it's Spurs for godsake. If you're ever going to rest anyone, nows the time.

I think KK's not a bad manager. But does he really believe Seaman is going to come through for City? I hope I'm wrong, but I predict Seaman will bone City enough to keep them out of the top ten.

6. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I agree totally. 2 full games for Reyna in half a week is probably too much to expect as he's still getting back to fitness.

Also, was ever a keeper more overrated than Seaman? Without Arsenal's defense to protect him, and given that he's certainly not sharper with age, I too predict lots of lost points due to keeper errors. We've already seen it.

7. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaun Wright Phillips was terrific v Lokeren, if I'm Kevin Keegan, I'm thinking he needs to be on the field right now. He turned the game on its ear when he came in, and it's his entrance that coincided with Man City's rescuing that game.

Sun was not terrific though, so Reyna at RB isn't a bad idea.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I doubt whether Reyna will start either, as I think Joey Barton will. But if the issue is SWP, then the likely player to come off is Bosvelt, not Reyna. Could be the other way, but that is the probability.

9. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If Keegan uses a squad rotation system which is known have the benefit of boosting team morale and keeping everyone sharp and fresh, everything you guys talk about is pointless.

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    which makes this thread pointless, this forum useless and the whole freakin bigsoccer useless. that's why we talk about it. if u don't like it, go away.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Manchester Evening News, article where Kevin Keegan discusses the challenge of mixing different types and levels of players in, á lá the "squad system" of rotation:

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/football/manchestercity/stories/Detail_LinkStory=68652.html

Notable comment...

Boss Kevin Keegan has said he will pepper the second string with senior players as and when he feels they need games.And he wants his highly-paid internationals to know that turning out for `the stiffs' is not some kind of punishment.

Already Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler, Paulo Wanchope, Claudio Reyna, Richard Dunne and Eyal Berkovic, among others, have been in [the] side.

"We have a strong squad and there will be times when, for a variety of reasons but mainly fitness, big names will be in the reserves," confirmed the manager.

"They should not see it as a punishment, but an opportunity to press claims for a first-team place."

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the current speculation on these boards may be true... if Reyna starts/plays, he'll likely do so at right back.

Match preview, from skysports.com: http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1105128,00.html

After his man-of-the-match performance in the UEFA Cup the other night, sounds like Keegan's realising that Reyna's too good to leave out. :)

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this game is available on PPV in USA on Direct TV for those interested, only $ 15.95 to see two US internationals face each other

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, Man City's site has an audio webcast that's free with registration.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/

I think Spurs' site offers the same service, but I'm not completely sure about that (perhaps some Tottenham regulars can provide info here).

16. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yes it does.

http://www.spurs.co.uk

You need to do free registration, but it gives you minimal access to THTV and free radio service.

-Digital

17. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabulous. Thanks for that, Digital. And the registration is painless, too... takes just a couple of minutes.

18. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City
    Starting XI
    1. Seaman, David
    5. Distin, Sylvain
    2. Sommeil, David
    17. Sun, Jihai
    18. Tarnat, Michael
    20. McManaman, Steve
    26. Bosvelt, Paul
    28. Sinclair, Trevor
    9. Wanchope, Paulo
    39. Anelka, Nicolas
    29. Wright-Phillips, Shaun
    Substitutes
    12. Weaver, Nicky
    27. Bischoff, Mikkel
    10. Sibierski, Antoine
    6. Reyna, Claudio
    8. Fowler, Robbie
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Starting XI
    13. Keller, Kasey
    5. Bunjevcevic, Goran
    16. Konchesky, Paul
    30. Gardner, Anthony
    2. Carr, Stephen
    3. Taricco, Mauricio
    36. Richards, Dean
    7. Anderton, Darren
    14. Poyet, Gustavo
    10. Keane, Robbie
    9. Kanoute, Frederic
    Substitutes
    24. Burch, Rob
    12. Doherty, Gary
    11. Dalmat, Stephane
    27. Ricketts, Rohan
    8. Postiga, Helder

19. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Keller with three early good saves on Anelka so far.

20. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Anelka sets up Wanchope, but the latter doesn't get a good shot off from 12 yards out--saved by Keller.

21. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Keller with a nice save on McManaman...

22. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Resulting corner flashed across the face of goal.

All City, all the time at this point.

23. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Kasey's having a blinder.

Wanchope is not.

24. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    Just like it will be in qualifiers :)