Revs - Wiz Post Game Thread 4/15/06

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by petezuke17, Apr 15, 2006.

1. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 KC.
    Conrad in the 3rd minute.

Not a pretty game. You have to give KC credit ... they played negatively for the majority of the game, but it was very effective and got the result. Very frustrating game to watch, probably more so to play in.

Loved the Pepe got in but taking Noonan off needs to be questioned. Move him out to the left if you have to because we are not a threat to either hit effective crosses of penetrate the defense with dribbling from the wing with our flank midfielders.

2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man of the match: the cat

3. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Agreed about the Noonan sub. Though Noonan wasn't having a good game, he has more skill than most of the players left on the pitch. Would have preferred to see Hernandez, who brings little positive to the game in my opinion, sent to the bench. Alternatively, take out Dorman who stunk up the place for most of the game.

As unimpressed as I've been with him so far, I'd prefer to see Brown instead of Leornard. At least Brown has some potential. We've seen what Leonard has to offer and it's not much.

All in all a very poor Revs showing which makes me more frustrated that nothing was done to improve the team in the off season.

4. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I'm with you. The cat was sublime.

The one thing I will remember about this game two weeks from now.

5. SoccerKnight

SoccerKnight New Member

Nov 12, 2003

I'll remember Reis.

6. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again we ask SN why he takes out noonan!

Can someone please pass the ball the guys in the white shirts!

Our strikers can not be blamed for any of that match, every single cross went over their heads.

Cancela did all he could to capitalize on his chance to play and I think he did well. Parkhurst is still Parkhurst thank god!

Matt Reis is still Matt Reis thank god!

If FIFA Soccer 2007 has a balance stat for individual players and the team as a whole what would Twellman's be (10/100?) and the revs as a whole (45/100mostly thanks to Joseph).

Dorman did ok suffered from bad crosses though, Cancela was the doing what he does best and distribute on the floor, Leonard wasn't half bad either but again bad crosses. Twellman can't be analyzed with such bad crosses but for christ sake stay on your feet man. DH played very well, very Joseph esque. Riley is doing good in the back line, after you get over the result and everything you can see that our defence played very very well!!!!

I'm tempted in putting a big fat 0 for the revs next week in my RevGuess dispite the home field, I cant believe we haven't scored for this long.

RRRREV IT UP

7. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    After watching 3 Premiership games earlier in the day, this looked like a high school game. Just how big (small) is that field?

And, the ref belongs in a high school league, too.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised at the Noonan sub as well....Gee, where have I heard that before?? (remember Frisco) I'd have liked to see Pat pushed out to the left as well or take off Dorman and put Dempsey wide right....

We finally get to see Pepe! He showed well....He'll be even more effective against a team that doesn't bunker! KC got the job done....ugly but 3 points. That's their M.O. score and sit in...try to hit a counter.

Josh Wolff is a diving pr!ck, I've never liked him! If that foul on Marshall happens in the 60th minute I think the ref gives the penalty...he was horrible all night..

Something has to be done about that ball...It was bad enough in NJ but under windy conditions like tonight it was near impossible to read...certainly added to the sloppy play.....

Matt Reis is a beast....any other keeper in the league and that is a 3-0 game at least...without question the best in MLS!..

Taylor was frustrated all night.....combination of good marking, poor service(ball) and sloppy play....In turn, Josh Wolff and EJ did nothing either...a tough night for strikers....

Franchino on the post....effin midget! Here's to a long recovery! Take your time Capt....

Hopefully, Rally will be 100% by the 30th...we need him on the right! Hernandez and Joseph cannot handle central midfield alone! I'd like to see Pepe play behind the two strikers...3-4-1-2

--------------------Reis--------------------

----Heaps--------Parkhurst-------Riley-----

Ralston/-------DH------Joseph-------Noonan/
    Dempsey........................................Ralston

------------------Pepe---------------------

-----------TNT---------Noonan/-----------
    ...................................Dempsey

PLEASE!!!:D

9. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    IMO, Cancela should've came on when Franchino was injured and Noonan should've moved to left wing, but I realize that would never happen.

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Word to the wise (and I'm not a soccer snob), if you're going to watch EPL games during the MLS season, try to do a cerebral disconnect between the two leagues. Otherwise you're in for a lot of pain.

BTW, I thought the ref did the best job of any the sorry bunch we've encountered this season. Just my opinion...

11. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    [​IMG]

Allow me to be the first to hit the panic button.

Through three games, this has all the makings of a third or fourth place team. We've had the same core of players for the past three seasons, and they're playing like they've never met each other. They're not moving off the ball, they're not playing particularly hard, the passing is subpar and the coach is afraid to play the best passer on the team. The book is out on the Revs' offense. Clog the middle, stick two guys on Twellman, and they won't score. They better find an answer for that.

Moreover, we haven't improved at all, while other teams in the East have gotten better. Other teams won't be hurt as much as by World Cup callups.

12. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Thank God it's only YOUR opinion!!!!!!Words cannot describe MY opinion of that DEBACLE tonight which I viewed with other Riders tonight at the Midwest Grill . We were all calling for PEPE to come into the game ----- BUT FOR NOONAN????????????? Someone needs to have a SERIOUS talk with Super Steve!!!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY REVS??????:(:

13. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, Ooh I'm next.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. We got a lucky win in LA, an unlucky draw in NY and a clean loss in KC. We look atrocious right now. Before the season started I thought it would be a waste to have an off week so early on, now I am thankful for it. Hopefully they use the extra time to get back in sync, relearn how to pass to the guys in the same color shirts, and figure out how to score again.

I'd hate to have my first game as a season ticket holder & Rider look like tonight (or the last 2 games for that matter).

14. MightyRevs

MightyRevs New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Mass
    Im almost positive Noonan came off due to an injury, if you watched the US game on Tuesday he got a knock which also lead to him missing practice this week I believe.

Twellman needs to focus on MLS and not the whole World Cup coming up I think the pressure is getting to him with being on the bubble, and unfortunately its hurting him greatly and I dont think he will be going.

Cancela did well tonight when coming on but this is the reason why we still have Cancela even tho hes on the bench, this is the type of game when we are chasing and the other team is sitting back he thrives from this situation playing well.

Referee was just a joke nothing else can be said, I could go on forever.

All in all not a great performance although I feel the Revs did do very well second half but just couldnt get that real good chance to put one in the net. I dont feel like theres any reason to hit the panic button yet, we came out strong last year and faded away a little bit, heres hoping its a slow start with a great finish this season... and we have Matt Reis

15. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Shots:
    KC - 12
    NE - 6

Shots on goal:
    KC - 6
    NE - 2

Yeah... KC played negative. :rolleyes:

16. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax Gandalf.

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After three games, my impression is that there's a lot of talent on this team, but that the pieces don't fit right. Too many players being asked to do things they're not ideally suited for.

I'd be open listening for offers for one of Ralston, Dempsey, Cancela, or Hernandez.

To have a guy like Cancela rotting away on the bench while there's such a gaping hole in the lineup at LM seems awfully wasteful.

18. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC shots after minute 60: 0

KC shots after halftime: 3

KC shots after minute 35: 4

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    New England shots after halftime: 4

New England shots after minute 35: 4

I'm not trying to troll, just pointing out that Kansas City didn't really play negative ball. Even the "after 60 minute" stat is misleading. New England took three shots after the 60th, yet they weren't good shots. Only Dempsey's in the 87th was on goal, and it was a fairly desperate shot from about 25 yards out that Oshoniyi saved easily.

The game bogged down in general in the second half. A fairly up-and-down and exciting first half somehow led into an uneventful second half. The best chance of the second half for either team was the ball that Cancela sent into the box in the 89th... it hung in the air and caused all kinds of problems for everybody in the box. Under normal conditions (and Twellman playing his normal game - he was off tonight) TT should knock that home easy... but the ball fooled him and everybody else... almost going in for an own-goal off of Groenwald.

It wasn't KC playing negative. It wasn't NE playing negative.
    That was just the kind of game it became.

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me 5 points in Rev guess. Hit this one exactly right. Even though I'M JUST AN AMATEUR HACK, here's where the professional bunglers blew this one.

Return to the 3-5-2

Parkhurst returning was correct
    Hernandez should have gone out, Joeseph should have played his spot.
    Cancela to the center mid with Dempsey
    Noonan, Twellman up top
    Dorman - outside mid (for lack of anybody better)
    After seeing Leonard, I too would have started Joey. Hard to believe but Joey is better then Leonard. If Joey is still hurt next week, I'd start one of the kids over Leonard.

Why would he pull Noonan while Leonard and Dorman were still on the field? He didn't look hurt and based on his reaction, I'd guess he wasn't. He may not been having a good gAme but he was still better then Dorman, Leonard or Hernandez (who all were really bad)

We looked terrible until the half. Much better with Cancela. The team seemed to pick up a bit when he came on but nobody was moving too much for Pepe. I think weeks of accidental offense has people standing around cause they don't believe they will get the ball. Pulling Noonan was a major blunder

Our lack of signing anyone during the off season is hurting. We have no subs that can help

Finally, the "effective lineup" SN described in the Sat Globe exists only in his head. He needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out a new plan. Hint - do what worked last year

Can hardly wait to see how those that defend "the pros" try to spin this botched game

21. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: i didnt see this post coming! dont pat yourself on the back too hard now. ya might hurt yourself. not that you dont have some good points, but jeez man.

it was a miserable game. our passing sucked. we had ZERO service. if just one of those crosses was anywhere close to Twellmans head we would have at least had a chance on goal. but none of them did. all of them were off the mark.

let find out if something actually happened to Pat before we start with the torches and pitchforks.

it was interesting to see Cancela in the game though. its felt like a long time since we saw him, and he did well. unlike Dorman, he actually passed well.

(thank goodness) we arent in Kansas anymore, Toto.

22. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    I'm beginning to think last year was a mirage.This game was almost as bad as US vs JAMAICA which was probably the worst game i've ever seen.Ill say it .NICOL is a bad coach.DEMPSEY ,REIS ,PARKHURST,JOSEPH,CANCELLA are very high quality players.The rest of the team has been sucking ass for too long.

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, the way the guys are playing only Dempsey is going to Germany.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy schizo conspiracy theorists might conclude that SN's bizarre formation choices and selection of players is geared toward getting fewer REVs called up rather than more. Nah...

Okay, you might have to go back two years to do it but it is time for the optimists to dredge up the dreaded "gel" posts. It may not be time to hit the panic button but it is certainly time for some concern. The D looks like it can do the job but to win the game you actually need to score. Where is the offense going to come from?

BTW, you can call it a 3-4-3 if you want but, in the the first 15 minutes, I saw Noonan covering behind JF enough that I wonder if it isn't really Steve Sampson's dreaded 3-6-1.

25. keepersdad

keepersdad New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I know it's early in the season, but the team looked so horrid last night I 'm washing a certain white t-shirt with blue print on it to have ready in case this crap play continues.
    OH NO, WE SUCK AGAIN