Revs vs. Rapids (Pregame)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by PiwoProsze, Sep 16, 2003.

1. PiwoProsze

PiwoProsze Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Boulder CO
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone told me TnT may play?

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Globe said that he'd been cleared to play. Even so, the cRapids worry me. They are always a tough team, and they are a much better side than the one we saw early in the season.

Ever game is pretty much a "must" game for us, and we've got to take all the points at home.

I think we'll grind out a 2-1 win, but they will make us work for it...

Tom

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids are 9-1-1 in their last 11 games, and undefeated (4-0-1) in their last 5.

On the year, they are 3-7-1 on the road, and 0-5-0 when visiting Eastern Conferece teams, so there is a chance.

4. Out_of_Touch

Out_of_Touch New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They've also clinched a playoff spot so I'm guessing they won't be as hungry as they would be if they were still trying to qualify.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Why that's so important? They won a couple of times without him.

6. cljco

cljco New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Denver
    Now on what planet does that make sense????? The Raps are still chasing down SJ for first place in the West and homefield advantage, just two games behind, and one game left between them that may have to settle it once and for all. Every game still counts in a HUGE way. They're not gonna quit playing hard just becase they've cliched a playoff spot. Plus, Chung's fresh and rested after sitting out last week. And need I remind you of the 4-1 thumping they put on your boys earlier this year when our morale was at it's worst, Twellman was still playing, and before Harris got the boot?? Your guys may have a lot more at stake at this point but from the Raps side, you won't see any slacking going on. It'll be a very hard fought game either way. I predict no more than a one goal difference. Good luck!!

7. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    I'm looking forward to this game. I'd pretty much given up on the Revs but Twellman's injury and Cancela's emergence has changed this team and they have played some very good soccer of late. Now they meet another team hitting on all cylinders and it should be quite a spectacle. Add in the possibility of Twellman's return and the question whether he will compliment or unbalance the successful team play that developed while he was out, and it should be a very entertaining MLS game. Let's hope the weather doesn't wreck the whole thing.

8. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with Chris Brown? I'm guessing that TnT, if he goes at all, won't go 90.

Brian

9. PiwoProsze

PiwoProsze Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Boulder CO
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Revs vs. Rapids (Pregame)

I think when a defending goalscoring champion and contender for this year's crown (even with all the Nat. time and injury time) it could be important. Especially when it is our annual do or die time.

10. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Should we get rain of any consequence then Tom Hill's suggestion that it might be a grindout may be changed to a slopfest. Fact is, the number of good players the Raps have picked up v. the new Revs should produce an interesting match that, truth to tell, could go either way.

In crunch time I fear Jon Spencer and Mark Chung. They are seriously tough pros.

I'll be there come rain, fog, hail, whatever.

JIM DOW

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Raps clinched a spot, and most likely will have home field advantage, unless KC or LA wake up and go on a run like the Revs did last year.

It will be a tough game, but i have a good feeling the Revs will come out on top. With Twellman back, you know he'll be looking for a couple of goals. Noonan should get the start. I like our chances.

12. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I wouldn't be shocked if this thing gets rescheduled.

Then again... I wouldn't be shocked if this doesn't get rescheduled.

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Beg Pardon?

The Magpie

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Twellman is likely to be a 2nd half sub, if the Revs are trailing. If the weather is bad, I think Nicol will be more reluctant to play Twellman as much.

The image of Twellman, lacking in fitness after not playing for a month, getting used to a mask, attempting to summon his usual courage to attempt diving headers into a driving rain would give me pause as a coach.

The way that Colorado beat us last time was by going one-on-one with our wing defenders, driving them deep and then laying balls back to onrushing midfielders. To me the keys for the Revs will be having Heaps stay in position, having Kamler and Ralston supporting the outside backs and having Joseph and Pierce find the midfielders coming down the middle. Of course, winning the possession battle makes all of that so much easier.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Accuweather doesn't show rain starting in Foxboro until 11pm, Thursday. Winds at about 12mph, gusting to 20mph during gametime.

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now, aspersions were not cast; there's no need to get excited. I would rather face a team that's fat and happy than one that's hungry and desperate. Clinching a playoff spot with 6 weeks to go is certainly cause for joyful obesity.

The Weather Channel is saying no rain tomorrow night.

It would be nice to see Twellman back, but I'm more interested in whether Cancela gets any more protection. He's getting fouled more often than any other player in the league, and I don't remember a lot of cards resulting. Pepe can't work his magic with 2 broken ankles.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I have no way of knowing, I'm guessing that Twellman has kept himself in shape while he's out. This is a strange injury for a soccer player in that he didn't hurt his legs, so his being in shape hopefully is not an issue. Hopefully. Now, is he in game shape, that's a different matter.

I also have to wonder if Twellman will play for more than a half. If the kid is in shape, I don't know if the weather really makes a difference in how long he plays. Just MHO.

18. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Masked Attacker

What worries me is that Twellman will not only play but will have a career game.

Why is this a worry? Look no further than his taped wrist. Isn't the story that it is some good luck thing based on his exceptional play once upon a time when he was injured? If history repeats itself we will need to get used to "The Phantom of the Offense"

Of course, if there is one scintilla of marketing acumen at Kraft Soccer they will give a nod to the he's-so-dreamy crowd and make sure that the mask comes off ASAP.

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, he could just load up on eye shadow and silly putty to recreate the raccoon effect he had on the 30th.

20. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    Some good news: After Twellman broke his nose in college, his first game back he scored 2 goals and had 2 assists.

Plus, after returning from France this past spring, and despite only playing 20-30 minutes in each of the matches, he managed to score 2 goals in his first two games back.

I think the kid gets hungry when he's not out there playing. Let's hope so -- we desperately need him to have that hunger right now.

21. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor is not lacking for fitness but having not played a real game for a month, he will certainly not be game sharp. I seriously doubt he will wear a mask.

My hunch is that he does not start but comes on late in the first half if we are down early, or at the 60 th minute otherwise.

22. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Twellman...

One Bad-Ass MUTHA*****.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/90min0917twellman.html

After spending the last month on the shelf, Twellman is eager to compete again. "I am starting tomorrow," he said on Wednesday. Ten days ago, Twellman was allowed to resume running, but his breathing is still constricted. He said he can only breathe out of his mouth at the moment and will need surgery at the end of the season. Twellman added that the injury will not affect the way he plays balls in the air and that he will not wear a protective mask. "I think (a mask) is a sign saying 'I'm injured, so play as physical as you can because of my face'," he said.

Would that every player who puts on a shirt in MLS demonstrate even half this guy's determination. He's a credit to the league and the Revolution.

23. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Let's hope the rain arrives early and washes away the passball lines. Am I the only one who can't abide them?

24. PiwoProsze

PiwoProsze Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Boulder CO
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went to MLSnet.com, and after reading the pregame writeup and the article about Wynalda saying that TnT is the USMNT's biggest hope (and stating that TnT is a better finisher than Donovan, and McBride), that it is my patriotic duty to be at the game. I hope it pours and pours, to show the Rapids and the rest of MLS that some New England weather and some New England fans is something to be reckoned with. GO REVS, GO TAYLOR, 3 -1!!!

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from weather.com....forcast for this evening in foxboro.
    Tonight: Windy. Partly cloudy skies giving way to showers overnight. Low 58F. Winds ENE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

The wind may be more of a factor than the rain